Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #946 of 7,365
Any recomendations for cheap replacement cable without the ear hooks? I feel like the ear hooks are preventing a deeper fit. Really wish unique melody used the JP models shape so it filled out your ears more. Even without a perfect fit these are outstanding iems. The detail retrieval is nuts, everything sounds so realistic and physical. I'm loving it.
I‘m currently using this cable. It has ear hooks, but they are not as tight fitting as the stock cable’s ear hooks, and you can cut them off if you wish. It’s a well made cable. Make sure to get it during a sale, for around $45 or less.

KBEAR 4 Core 5N UPOCC OCC Copper Litz
5243BEDA-E6F4-46A0-B64E-43060516D737.jpeg

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #947 of 7,365
I‘m currently using this cable. It has ear hooks, but they are not as tight fitting as the stock cable’s ear hooks, and you can cut them off if you wish. It’s a well made cable. Make sure to get it during a sale, for around $45 or less.

KBEAR 4 Core 5N UPOCC OCC Copper Litz
5243BEDA-E6F4-46A0-B64E-43060516D737.jpeg
do you think Tripowin Zonie 16 would fit well? I might try and adjust the ear hooks with a hair dryer, Tbh the mest is already sounding amazing so I'm just trying to attain that last little bit.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #948 of 7,365
do you think Tripowin Zonie 16 would fit well? I might try and adjust the ear hooks with a hair dryer, Tbh the mest is already sounding amazing so I'm just trying to attain that last little bit.
If you can get the stock cable to work for you, that would be better, since it’s a substantially better cable than the Zonie 16.

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #949 of 7,365
Hi Everyone,

For the first time in two or three years, my head has been turned by the MEST. Specifically, the claims about its soundstage. I'll try to arrange an audition but in the meantime, can anyone compare to the InEar Prophile 8S? I know that's a bit of a niche, but just wondered!
Thanks in advance :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #950 of 7,365
Love these things, they also take eq very well. I would say they are u shaped. Very nice for guitars and male vocals , female vocals can be very track dependant, sometimes they're behind the cymbals and you just want a bit more energy, really want to try the JP version.. I love the all black look on the JP
20201022_155838.jpg

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #951 of 7,365
I’m curious, has anyone messed with PEQ on the MEST UIEM to boost the upper midrange a little, and perhaps tame the 6KHz peak a little, to make it sound more classically neutral? For instance, to match this neutral target? If so, anyone care to share the settings?

F462EFEE-BE57-4C60-91F3-E60AB1A819E6.png

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #952 of 7,365
I’m curious, has anyone messed with PEQ on the MEST UIEM to boost the upper midrange a little, and perhaps tame the 6KHz peak a little, to make it sound more classically neutral? For instance, to match this neutral target? If so, anyone care to share the settings?

F462EFEE-BE57-4C60-91F3-E60AB1A819E6.png
Yes I have done that eq, but personally just taming the 5.5khz range with -3db goes a long way in improving the sound.

Would not touch the upper mids as boosting them makes it sound shouty, despite it being under IEF’s target; probably the most problematic region of this iem if you’re to nitpick.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 23, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #953 of 7,365
My custom UM MEST's arrived a couple days ago, exactly one month after sending off the impressions. The entire process on UM and Music Teck's end was flawless, and confidence-inspiring in "Chi-Fi".

In any case, the first thing to note is, wow, am I ever sold on customs. I cannot go back to universal fits, and in fact, I am selling my favorite pair of universal Shuoer EJ07's here, so I can get a custom version of that set.

Compared to the EJ07, the MEST is a true competitor, I think, and trying to set aside the advantage of the custom fit, I'd say the MEST beats the EJ07 in bass response. Slightly more controlled and accurate, to my ears, yet with an entirely visceral impact. Listening to Van Morrison's "Dweller on the Threshold" as I write this, the balance of the bass and force are not-to-be-improved.

The EJ07 still carries the day for mids, and has just a bit more of a bite in vocals especially, though the MEST is perfectly wonderful in this field, and easily beats the IER-Z1R, for instance, whose mids always felt depressingly distanced, to me.

Treble is a draw, based on preference. I like the added high frequency snap on cymbals and so-on, but then it's nice to have that toned down if it should become distracting in the mix. I'm tempted to say the EJ07 is more accurate to the overall mix because of the boosted high frequency, but even though the boost has irritated me in most TOTL sets I've demo'd, the MEST somehow makes it a viable, even enjoyable alternative to the EJ07.

It is difficult to mark preferences among genres, and most tracks benefit from both sets' perspectives, that I've tried. If I had to come down anywhere, I'd say that metal and hard rock the EJ07 is the clear winner, whereas jazz and classical (esp. orchestral) the MEST is opening up new vistas for me. That's a rough and ready take.

I look forward to getting a custom of the EJ07 now, to make a real match with the MEST.

EDIT: To be clear, I never tried the universal fit MEST's. Went straight to customs.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #954 of 7,365
@tinkofse Great to see how pleased you are with your customs!
When you have time, could you go into more detail in your comparison between the MEST and the EJ07? How does the soundstage (in all dimensions) compare between the two? Would you say the MEST have considerably more high-end definition? Ultimately, to someone who does not need another pair of earphones but is jonesing for a more 3D presentation, would you say the MEST represent a 50% improvement on the EJ07? (price over here has the MEST at about 50% more than the Shuoers. I'm not asking if they're worth the extra money (confident that you feel they are) but asking if the improvement is that dramatic)

Big thanks in advance for any more light you can shed on the comparison between these two. Finally pushed my lovely and VERY understanding wife to the point where yet another pair of earphones is somewhat problematic (she's not wrong either)!!!

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #955 of 7,365
As I’ll be shipping the MEST to the next person on tour.
Here’s a little sneak peak of my little shoot with the MEST.

They’re quite the photogenic ones aren’t they?

FC81C0DA-5204-4A9C-A0FF-3203FFF34949.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #956 of 7,365
As I’ll be shipping the MEST to the next person on tour.
Here’s a little sneak peak of my little shoot with the MEST.

They’re quite the photogenic ones aren’t they?

FC81C0DA-5204-4A9C-A0FF-3203FFF34949.jpeg
Very nice lighting... Can't wait to see the actual image

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #957 of 7,365
Very nice lighting... Can't wait to see the actual image
Thank you!!

I can’t wait to share them! But for now I gotta go to sleep lol

it’s already 6:30am in Toronto...😳

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #958 of 7,365
Initially had the same fit issues as you and contemplated selling mine, but after many tip swaps I finally found my preferred tips (small Sony tips). You'll be glad when you finally find the right ear tip for you. Good luck!
I agree, I found the Sony S tips worked the best for a deep fit for me too. And that really fixed the overly energetic highs I’ve experienced when I used other tips. Though I’m still curious about the JP version. I still wanna hear it someday. Though I’m getting quite a nice deep fit. It’s not as comfortable as I’d like. (This is surprising to me since every other earphone in my collection Z1R included fits comfortably in my ears. )

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #959 of 7,365
I agree, I found the Sony S tips worked the best for a deep fit for me too. And that really fixed the overly energetic highs I’ve experienced when I used other tips. Though I’m still curious about the JP version. I still wanna hear it someday. Though I’m getting quite a nice deep fit. It’s not as comfortable as I’d like. (This is surprising to me since every other earphone in my collection Z1R included fits comfortably in my ears. )

Performance-wise. how does it stack up against the Layla? Ridiculous comparison, I know, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back