Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Mar 3, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #5,191 of 7,306
Been listening to the MEST MKII for the past couple of weeks and I finally have an IEM that makes me NOT miss my Focal headphones, which have been no the rack ever since. I love the tone, extension (weighty bass and very good highs), and detail of these IEMs. These are the real deal. I also have the U18T and I really love these most in my collection.
How do they compare to u18t? They have the same amount of detail.

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #5,192 of 7,306
20220304_194734.jpg
The MEST II returns from custom conversion after 11 weeks.

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #5,193 of 7,306
Ok this is going to be just my pillled up thoughts after 15 days since I received MKII, I didn't bother with burn in I just plugged them in straight. Whatever change happens if any it will be very minimal.
First I tried stock S blue heart silicones and Xelastecs S deep insertion but both gave me insane ear fatigue. In the next couple of days i was rolling between those tips and some other I have on hand, Symbio peels, Spinfits CP145, 155, starlines, and various no names.... All in M (my usual) size with shallow fit, but deep enough so I can get good seal and isolation.
Deep insertion is out of the question for me, max I can take is 30 min before it gets unbearable. I have ordered kbear 07,cp100, cp1025 all in S-M so we'll see... For now I use cp145 and I'm very happy with the result.
Btw No way I'll go custom again.. Thats just not for me. I had very bad experience with Thieaudio L4. How they sounded aside, I don't like the feeling when inserting them, always worrying about earwax. But after a while no issues with ear fatigue though.. Still I'm not ready to commit to ciem probably ever.

Sound wise, clearly MKII is the best iem I own and tried. Other what's in my sig I have owned Monarch MKII but in my case it's either I got the lemon unit or Monarch MKII is the most overhyped and worst iem for its price. Anyways I don't have much experience in this price range, and now with Mest MKII I don't want to go higher at least not anytime soon.
Frequency response of Mest MKII sometimes is fantastic and sometimes not so much. Depends on the type of music I listen to. I'm talking about high mids, sometimes I feel they are too recessed then I have to use EQ for 2-3 db. Then again sometimes when EQed I get like honkey sound. Atm I'm experimenting and for the most part I guess it's just brain burn in, I have used to the response of Monarch and S8F, both have more 2-4k energy.
Atm I cannot directly compare MKII with Monarch, because 2 days into owning MKII, my Monarch decided to break down so now it's on the way back to Linsoul for repair. But from memory i believe Monarch for my taste have better mids and treble tuning, it's just so buttery smooth and perfect. But I will have to compare them whan I get my Monarch back.
Other than that I have nothing to complain, for my tastes bass and whole FR is great, technicalities as well. They can keep up with most demanding prog, technical metal... very well I like them very much, no purchase regret whatsoever.
I still need the mileage, tip roll and my Monarch back for final thoughts.
Btw I use Xinhs 8 core graphene cable. Someone measured both stock and this one, surprisingly this one measured better than the stock. I can't remember figures now but that was good enough for me.

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #5,194 of 7,306
Ok this is going to be just my pillled up thoughts after 15 days since I received MKII, I didn't bother with burn in I just plugged them in straight. Whatever change happens if any it will be very minimal.
First I tried stock S blue heart silicones and Xelastecs S deep insertion but both gave me insane ear fatigue. In the next couple of days i was rolling between those tips and some other I have on hand, Symbio peels, Spinfits CP145, 155, starlines, and various no names.... All in M (my usual) size with shallow fit, but deep enough so I can get good seal and isolation.
Deep insertion is out of the question for me, max I can take is 30 min before it gets unbearable. I have ordered kbear 07,cp100, cp1025 all in S-M so we'll see... For now I use cp145 and I'm very happy with the result.
Btw No way I'll go custom again.. Thats just not for me. I had very bad experience with Thieaudio L4. How they sounded aside, I don't like the feeling when inserting them, always worrying about earwax. But after a while no issues with ear fatigue though.. Still I'm not ready to commit to ciem probably ever.

Sound wise, clearly MKII is the best iem I own and tried. Other what's in my sig I have owned Monarch MKII but in my case it's either I got the lemon unit or Monarch MKII is the most overhyped and worst iem for its price. Anyways I don't have much experience in this price range, and now with Mest MKII I don't want to go higher at least not anytime soon.
Frequency response of Mest MKII sometimes is fantastic and sometimes not so much. Depends on the type of music I listen to. I'm talking about high mids, sometimes I feel they are too recessed then I have to use EQ for 2-3 db. Then again sometimes when EQed I get like honkey sound. Atm I'm experimenting and for the most part I guess it's just brain burn in, I have used to the response of Monarch and S8F, both have more 2-4k energy.
Atm I cannot directly compare MKII with Monarch, because 2 days into owning MKII, my Monarch decided to break down so now it's on the way back to Linsoul for repair. But from memory i believe Monarch for my taste have better mids and treble tuning, it's just so buttery smooth and perfect. But I will have to compare them whan I get my Monarch back.
Other than that I have nothing to complain, for my tastes bass and whole FR is great, technicalities as well. They can keep up with most demanding prog, technical metal... very well I like them very much, no purchase regret whatsoever.
I still need the mileage, tip roll and my Monarch back for final thoughts.
Btw I use Xinhs 8 core graphene cable. Someone measured both stock and this one, surprisingly this one measured better than the stock. I can't remember figures now but that was good enough for me.
My Monarch OG is also with Linsoul for repair (one of the two-pin port too tight), I am considering to buy the Monarch MK2 cable and ask Linsoul to ship both back. BTW, I had Mest MK2 for two weeks and I also believe it is overall better than Monarch OG, though not by much.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #5,195 of 7,306
My Monarch OG is also with Linsoul for repair (one of the two-pin port too tight), I am considering to buy the Monarch MK2 cable and ask Linsoul to ship both back. BTW, I had Mest MK2 for two weeks and I also believe it is overall better than Monarch OG, though not by much.
I'm the only one who will say this probably...
If you are buying cable go with the first one, I mean Monarch OG cable, original not with updated connectors. And certianly not with the MKII cable.
- MKII cable - too hard and too bulky, especially too hard at earhooks what affects fit negatively in my case.
- OG cable updated connectors - too heavy and too bulky hardware it weighs the cable down by a lot.
- OG cable with original connectors - light but long connectors. But the cable itself is perfection. I'm talking only by esthetic point of view. It doest get hard, zero microphonics, it doesn't twist itself, it doesn't hold memory and it doest oxidise. It's perfectly straight and smooth just like day one. I bought another one recently. Made a small mistake, went with the updated connectors, heavier but still fantastic same cable.

Mar 5, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #5,196 of 7,306
Can I just ask those with custom MEST II, if your nozzle has exposed metal parts like mine? I've been getting minor shocks to my inner ear (VERY unpleasant) when I have my device plugged in to the wall socket and charging while listening to the IEMs... MacBook, iPad, 3Max... Fine if I'm charging via power banks though.

tempImageqdYZ4T.jpg

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #5,197 of 7,306
Can I just ask those with custom MEST II, if your nozzle has exposed metal parts like mine? I've been getting minor shocks to my inner ear (VERY unpleasant) when I have my device plugged in to the wall socket and charging while listening to the IEMs... MacBook, iPad, 3Max... Fine if I'm charging via power banks though.

tempImageqdYZ4T.jpg
I don't see any exposed metal parts. Not saying there isn't but not sure what exactly your referring too.

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #5,198 of 7,306
I don't see any exposed metal parts. Not saying there isn't but not sure what exactly your referring too.
Looks like shell molding is right to the edge of the acoustic tubes, where edges of it is exposed.

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #5,199 of 7,306
Looks like shell molding is right to the edge of the acoustic tubes, where edges of it is exposed.
Oooh I see the silver edge now. Hmm. Looks to me like a re-shell maybe be needed if it is causing discomfort. The only way to get around this problem would be to add more resin, correct?

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #5,200 of 7,306
Nozzle.

Yes. But supposedly those tubes are just to hold the shape and are attached to plastic bits and should not have any wiring connected?

It's only my left ear that gets that "electric shock"... with both OG cables and aftermarket ones.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #5,201 of 7,306
Nozzle.

Yes. But supposedly those tubes are just to hold the shape and are attached to plastic bits and should not have any wiring connected?

It's only my left ear that gets that "electric shock"... with both OG cables and aftermarket ones.
Yeah, but the tubes, if they're metal, are making contact with the metal pins on the cable. That could be the source of the problem. I'd send them back for a re-shell, especially if they are under warranty.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #5,202 of 7,306
I'm firmly in the anxious wait for my Mk2 to show up. Got back into IEMs late last year after buying a Timeless on a whim and realizing how much more I prefer IEMs to headphones. Started working my way up the ladder and after not touching my Focal Clear for a few months decided sell it and move up into the "big leagues". Had a few sets in mind, MEST mk2, Earsonics Grace, 64 Nio, and Lime Ears Pneuma. Ultimately after I decided to stop looking at classifieds and buy from a store it came down to the Grace vs the Mk2. Vastly different approaches but both very appealing. Customer service won out after communicating with Andrew at MusicTeck. Asked him a few questions Wednesday evening with extremely prompt replies, order placed that night, and they should be to me in Halifax on Monday or Tuesday.
Contrast that with the store that was selling the Grace. I've placed multiple orders with them over the last few years and all have gone smooth until I ordered a simple carrying case from them in January that still hasn't arrived. I don't want to be a huge complainer over a $20 order so I've sent a few gentle nudges looking for updates and had one reply three weeks ago that it should be here that week. The two other emails I've sent have been ignored. I don't even care much about the item just the lack of comms. They literally lost a $1500 sale over a $20 case.
I'm rambling now but I guess my point is UM picked a great dealer to go all in on with MEST and not to discount the impact of good customer service in choosing which product to go with.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #5,203 of 7,306
I'm firmly in the anxious wait for my Mk2 to show up. Got back into IEMs late last year after buying a Timeless on a whim and realizing how much more I prefer IEMs to headphones. Started working my way up the ladder and after not touching my Focal Clear for a few months decided sell it and move up into the "big leagues". Had a few sets in mind, MEST mk2, Earsonics Grace, 64 Nio, and Lime Ears Pneuma. Ultimately after I decided to stop looking at classifieds and buy from a store it came down to the Grace vs the Mk2. Vastly different approaches but both very appealing. Customer service won out after communicating with Andrew at MusicTeck. Asked him a few questions Wednesday evening with extremely prompt replies, order placed that night, and they should be to me in Halifax on Monday or Tuesday.
Contrast that with the store that was selling the Grace. I've placed multiple orders with them over the last few years and all have gone smooth until I ordered a simple carrying case from them in January that still hasn't arrived. I don't want to be a huge complainer over a $20 order so I've sent a few gentle nudges looking for updates and had one reply three weeks ago that it should be here that week. The two other emails I've sent have been ignored. I don't even care much about the item just the lack of comms. They literally lost a $1500 sale over a $20 case.
I'm rambling now but I guess my point is UM picked a great dealer to go all in on with MEST and not to discount the impact of good customer service in choosing which product to go with.
I’m sure everyone else will join me in hoping you enjoy them as much as I do. They have made my music listening so pleasurable over the last 12 months. Now listening using IPhone / Mojo2. Let us know your thoughts 👍

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #5,204 of 7,306
Posted this somewhere else, but thought I'd post this here.

I was able to get 5 non-audiophiles to try the MEST MkII, Andromeda 2020, and 64 Audio U12T. Players used are iBasso DX300 Amp11Mk1, Shanling M8, iPhone 12 dongle, their phone. Each person didn’t try each player + IEM combo, but all tried the three IEMs.

Music Preferences/Info about each person:
  • Person A: Gear doesn’t matter to them as long as they are listening to songs they like. Generally prefers upbeat feel good songs like September by Earth, Wind & Fire, Can’t Take My Eyes Off You by Frankie Valli.
  • Person B: DJ so can appreciate nice gear, but doesn’t use anything high end for audio playback. Listens to electronic/edm.
  • Person C: Generally listens to rock and rap, some pop.
  • Person D: Generally listens to jazz, pop, and instrumental. Not an audiophile, but used to own high end gear like the HD800 and Andromeda S. He attended audio show with me once which is how he knew about the Andromeda S.
  • Person E: Generally listens to heavy metal and rock, some pop.
Summary of their opinions after listening
  • Person A: MEST MkII + DX300 > Andromeda 2020 > MEST MkII + M8 > U12T. Got lost in the music with MEST MkII + DX300. Andromeda 2020 was pretty good. Didn’t like MEST MkII with M8 or U12T much.
  • Person B: U12T + M8 = Andromeda 2020 + their Phone or DX300 > U12T + their phone > MEST MkII. Got lost in the music with U12T + M8 and Andromeda 2020. Wasn’t a big fan of the MEST MkII.
  • Person C: MEST MkII + M8 = Andromeda 2020 + DX300 > Andromeda 2020 + M8 > U12T. Really enjoyed MEST MkII and Andromeda 2020. U12T not so much, but wasn’t sure why.
  • Person D: MEST MkII + M8 > Andromeda 2020 > MEST MkII + DX300 > U12T. For him, MEST MkII was like being at the concert without the feeling of the speakers. Favorite IEM he has heard along with MEST MkI. Still really enjoys Andromeda. U12T was eh.
  • Person E: MEST MkII > Andromeda 2020 = U12T. Liked MEST MkII for rock, but was like eh for heavy metal. Was also eh on Andromeda 2020 and U12T. I showed the Empire Ears Valkyrie to them once and they loved that.
  • All: Enjoyed hearing details they haven’t heard before. They could hear differences between phone and DAPs, couldn’t tell me why they enjoyed one more than the other. Going from phone to DX300 or M8 was night and day to them for MEST MkII and U12T. Andromeda 2020 was only small differences when changing player.
Which phone did you use or were they comparing it to. Sure it wasn't Lg v series.

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #5,205 of 7,306
Which phone did you use or were they comparing it to. Sure it wasn't Lg v series.
During the time of this test, it was my iPhone 12 + Apple Dongle for my phone. Their phone, I think it was a Samsung Galaxy from the past 2-3 years, not entirely sure which model year, but it had a headphone jack. It wasn't the LG V series. I haven't met anyone that isn't into audio that had a LG V or G series phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back