Unique Melody 3X Universal Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN TOUR and Impressions
Jan 26, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #61 of 328
I really don't think my first photo did the metal storage case justice, especially just from a top view so here's a better look at it.

I really like this storage tin, especially the weight it holds and threaded lid. I wouldn't call it for pockets but certainty great throwing in a back pack or long term storage, it's honestly just about bullet proof, thick, and weighty. I would love to know if you can buy them separately because it's build like a tank and would possibly last through world war 3. 

Unfortunately this one has a small chip in the side.

The Approx weight is: 114 grams.

comes with Mentor as well. the thing is - while it's great looking and all - i somehow doubt it's waterproof, unlike otterboxes. it's also a bit cramped if you have a custom cable and want to put some desiccant

>Universal Merlin?

you could get their demo mold for a while from any UM. if you asked nicely and were annoying enough. (that was before the 3d printing days so it was the same price) http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/581800/merlin-new-mould-mar-2012-demo/ . (I had 4 iems in that mold from UM :D)

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #62 of 328

Universal Merlin?

I find it funny there's been more comments about the case then the iems (both on this and the other thread) at this point!  Despite being a sellout on the site there's not been much talk of the iem's themselves.

You mean talks about the 3X mate?

There has been loads of talks here in this thread, but I don't think not many people have them yet, hence why the lack of hype, I believe everyone are still waiting for the second shipment (with UM logo) to arrive in UK, and the fact that it is rather expensive at this stage (due to £ getting stronger and stronger) - I was kinda dissappointed that UM UK did not take off the VAT when shipping out to me (correct me if I am wrong, but I believe VAT's are taken out if overseas people buy from UK?)

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #63 of 328

Universal Merlin?

I find it funny there's been more comments about the case then the iems (both on this and the other thread) at this point!  Despite being a sellout on the site there's not been much talk of the iem's themselves.

I have left impressions a few pages back, however I'll let you guys in on a what's being said via PM msgs. 

This is what I wrote last night.,

I really like the signature, technical stance and detail levels, 3X has many positive aspects going for it, the build and package for example is spot on. But it's main flaw is that sibilance in vocals. Theres just to much of it to call a complete package or stable on my opinion. It's not ear piercing but enough to be more than distracting. It's not the recordings either it's just finding sibilance with many letters of the alphabet and spitting a fair amount. The transitions between word, note changes and word shapping isn't smooth. For this price I don't really find it acceptable for serious listening unfortunately which is  a damn shame because it has more than a lot going for it.

I want to get the others opinions as insertion depth and fit can highly effect this, I can't get it decrease enough as I fear it's in the design/tuning and past anything I can adjust.

That's where I am atm.

Unfortunately, when an IEM does this or shows an annoying flaw, (yes I do find it rather obvious) I become reluctant in wanting to spend time with the earphone, I don't find it stable. Passable yes probably to a majority and more so with any track that doesn't contain vocals although for my genres I'm not finding I can bring the sibilance down enough. My other IEM's don't do this, not the Dunu, RDB, ER4S, 1Plus2, TF10, so why should I allow it as acceptable if it's interfering with my listening experience.  I think they could of done better unless the problem is specifically to this pair. There's been more than a few occasion I've tried now and had to throw in the towel.

I will probably be sending the unit on earlier than I expected as I am rather interested in others thoughts.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #64 of 328

I have left impressions a few pages back, however I'll let you guys in on a what's being said via PM msgs. 

This is what I wrote last night.,

Unfortunately, when an IEM does this or shows an annoying flaw, (yes I do find it rather obvious) I become reluctant in wanting to spend time with the earphone, I don't find it stable. Passable yes probably to a majority and more so with any track that doesn't contain vocals although for my genres I'm not finding I can bring the sibilance down enough. My other IEM's don't do this, not the Dunu, RDB, ER4S, 1Plus2, TF10, so why should I allow it as acceptable if it's interfering with my listening experience.  I think they could of done better unless the problem is specifically to this pair. There's been more than a few occasion I've tried now and had to throw in the towel.

I will probably be sending the unit on earlier than I expected as I am rather interested in others thoughts.

Must of missed those, thanks.  Well I can strike that one off the list as I hate sibilance.  Will be interesting to see if others pick up on this trait or not.  Perhaps something got damaged in transit?

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #65 of 328
  Must of missed those, thanks.  Well I can strike that one off the list as I hate sibilance.  Will be interesting to see if others pick up on this trait or not.  Perhaps something got damaged in transit?

I would honestly wait for the others impressions before making full judgement, it could just be my fitting, and for the tours sake I really hope so, I hope these guys can enjoy 3X without hearing the sibilance, because I can't stress enough how capable the rest of 3X signature and technical ability is, it really is a finely build (in quality) well played out hybrid. The package is there, the signature, detail, soundstage, you name it this hybrid has but the sibilance just ruins the show. it's like that drunk guy who comes in and pee's on your camp fire.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #67 of 328
I would honestly wait for the others impressions before making full judgement, it could just be my fitting, and for the tours sake I really hope so, I hope these guys can enjoy 3X without hearing the sibilance, because I can't stress enough how capable the rest of 3X signature and technical ability is, it really is a finely build (in quality) well played out hybrid. The package is there, the signature, detail, soundstage, you name it this hybrid has but the sibilance just ruins the show. it's like that drunk guy who comes in and pee's on your camp fire.

maybe try eqing down 1khz bands starting at 6khz to about 11khz (one by one)

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #70 of 328
Guys, I'll be mailing the unit onto Lin express post tomorrow, I don't see a point in keeping it here one full week if it's not being used, I'd rather keep the tour moving for you all and djvkool. Add to that I need to mail some other items at the same time.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #71 of 328
Guys, I'll be mailing the unit onto Lin express post tomorrow, I don't see a point in keeping it here one full week if it's not being used, I'd rather keep the tour moving for you all and djvkool. Add to that I need to mail some other items at the same time.

Thanks mate! Looking forward to it. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #72 of 328
no luck eqing the sibilance down? Or 'high purist' moral objection :p?

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #73 of 328
no luck eqing the sibilance down? Or 'high purist' moral objection :p?

I tried, it's somewhere present between 4k - 6k only bringing it down -5db still wasn't enough. (but better).  Going further past -5db was effecting the mid range to much overall for me personally. Lets see what you guys think. Hopefully you guys have better luck.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #75 of 328
I tried, it's somewhere present between 4k - 6k only bringing it down -5db still wasn't enough. (but better).  Going further past -5db was effecting the mid range to much overall for me personally. Lets see what you guys think. Hopefully you guys have better luck.

To be fair - I gave up with AX60 re eqing. Even though there's a chart available I wend as far 'eqing down several bands and varying F to narrow it down but it didn't 'entirely' seem like the 8-10khz bit'. Maybe following the steps below would've helped but they sort of require time.

I think hypothetically if one has enough time and are willing to play with the rockbox eq :

(spoiler because a bit offtopic :| ?)
a) you can vary the band centre point (F) and width(Q) as well as the adjustment level =) (advanced, graphic eq, etc (errr interestingly their graphic eq seems to be a paramtric EQ but idk)) . large q value= narrow band, small - wide band. it seems like q values > 10 as a rule of thumb will produce ringing type problems. (when eqing up?)
b) 'zone in' on the frequency range by binary search varying the center frequency but leaving Q constant. the once sure, start narrowing the Q.
Unfortunately I have no idea how bad the peak on 3x is, and if it's high and sharp enough to have its own ringing effect, and it does, whether to eq it with a slightly wider down band.
c) from what i can tell the peak should stay the same on the source side regardless of tips (but the perceived band will vary depending on insertion depth as the peak might get shifted)

Perhaps someone who experimented more with this can chip in and explain the overall effects on distortion in the above scenarios . :)( please don't suggest combining several bands if the peak is asymmetric. that's seems like a lot of fiddling )
a JS based graphical representation of EQ modelling page to combine bands could be nice too.

I'll give it a crack when it gets around to me, mate!

=) part of your trade, eh? (I think i read in one of your reviews it was)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back