Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
May 18, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #1,051 of 1,469
I'm pairing mine with the stock cable that came with ThieAudio Monarch from day one and I think it's a great combo.
@IEMusic Can you confirm? I think you have the same cable in your arsenal too?
I tried my TA Clairvoyance stock cable with the 3DT, and compared it directly with the Yy 4 core 5N UPOCC cable that I typically use. With the TA cable, the treble is more prominent, as are the upper mids. It is not at all harsh sounding, but brighter than I typically like. It seems to lend a little more clarity and microdetail compared to the pure copper cable, but I prefer the slightly mellower sound of the copper cable, and the bass is also a little fuller with the copper cable. Transients sound similar on both. If I were listening to classical music primarily, I would prefer the TA cable. For pop, rock, male vocals, all-purpose, I prefer the copper cable. Both work well IMO, it just comes down to preference.

I do think the TA cable does pair well with the 3DT.

Has anyone else tried the RHA dual density tips for the 3DT? I just tried them a few days ago and they're my favorite yet. It would be interesting to see the graphs in the treble region with these tips vs. stock, since as others reported the treble response can vary greatly with different tips on this IEM.
I need to try them out, but unfortunately cannot graph it.

May 18, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #1,052 of 1,469
May 18, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #1,053 of 1,469
I'd like a bit more bass to be honest.
On some of my DAPs I just can't find it whereas there's plenty on my computer.
Could be an impedance thing.
Anyhow, I used a copper cable.
I have experienced the same. From my laptop the bass suddenly gets overly strong, while from UP4 it's very slightly less than my preference.

I am using a copper cable too. A Stealthsonics copper cable. It's good, added a little bit more volume in bass.

May 18, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #1,054 of 1,469
I’ve been using Spiral Dot tips on mine and the FR has been excellent. I also put a strip of micropore across each grill to reduce the shoutiness.

Also I ordered a custom Hart Cable with 2-pin connectors today because I’m already sick of swapping cables on these.

May 19, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #1,055 of 1,469
I use BGVP A07 tip for that added bass punch.

May 19, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #1,056 of 1,469
I’ve been using Spiral Dot tips on mine and the FR has been excellent. I also put a strip of micropore across each grill to reduce the shoutiness.

Also I ordered a custom Hart Cable with 2-pin connectors today because I’m already sick of swapping cables on these.

How much does the inevitable imprecession of micropore application affect channel imbalance?

May 19, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #1,058 of 1,469
I tried my TA Clairvoyance stock cable with the 3DT, and compared it directly with the Yy 4 core 5N UPOCC cable that I typically use. With the TA cable, the treble is more prominent, as are the upper mids. It is not at all harsh sounding, but brighter than I typically like. It seems to lend a little more clarity and microdetail compared to the pure copper cable, but I prefer the slightly mellower sound of the copper cable, and the bass is also a little fuller with the copper cable. Transients sound similar on both. If I were listening to classical music primarily, I would prefer the TA cable. For pop, rock, male vocals, all-purpose, I prefer the copper cable. Both work well IMO, it just comes down to preference.

I do think the TA cable does pair well with the 3DT.

I need to try them out, but unfortunately cannot graph it.
Good morning man!
Thanks for comparing the two.
Can you provide a link to the Yy 4 core 5N UPOCC cable?

May 19, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #1,059 of 1,469
3DT vs Globe: the Globe is much more musical and atmospheric though with good technicalities, whereas with the 3DT I find it to be pretty much an even balance between musicality and analytical ability. The Globe has superior soundstage dimensions (though the 3DT is quite good), but due in part to its clean presentation vs. atmospheric the 3DT is definitely more resolving and detailed. Imaging and layering are excellent on both although the Globe has less apparent instrument separation due to the more organic presentation. The Globe for sure has more bass quantity, but although it is fairly agile the 3DT is faster, cleaner, and better textured; extension is equally good on both. The Globe's mids are warmer and atmospheric, the 3DT has much airier and more open mids, though this means vocals are a bit thinner which is subjectively less pleasing. The tables are turned in the treble region though where the Globe has better extension, air, and sparkle to my ears. Timbre is good on the Globe but outstanding on the 3DT of course.

3DT vs A7: technicalities are pretty comparable actually, soundstage is a bit better on the 3DT but otherwise I don't hear a ton of difference. The variety of A7 tuning options makes other comparisons more difficult. I don't have a measurement rig but I think tuning-wise the 3DT might be closest to Gold Pop on the A7. Timbre, cohesiveness and texture are better all around on the 3DT, it's not leagues of difference, the A7 is quite good for a hybrid but the difference is definitely noticeable. I think the 3DT has tighter and a bit faster bass. The mids of the 3DT are more liquid than the drier and more etched presentation of the A7. I prefer the A7's treble on the Black filter to what the 3DT offers though.

Just a few thoughts, I haven't done extensive A/Bing so maybe I'm off on some of this.
I also own all three and I think your descriptions are quite accurate overall. Or at least that's how I hear them too. The only thing I think I perceive a bit differently is that the 3DT sounds more raw, drier and more textured than the A7 to me. The A7 sounds somewhat smoother (but still detailed) and more liquid to me. But that might just be how we each understand those terms. I'm also using the red filter currently and in that configuration the A7 has a lot less elevation in the treble. Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything else you said about these IEMs. All three are truly incredible.

May 19, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #1,061 of 1,469
Great review!

“In conclusion, the Unique Melody 3DT are a shining example of fantastic mid-tier audio performance at an affordable price.”

I would challenge this statement slightly. Perhaps I’m not qualified to make this assertion, since I haven’t owned or heard IEMs in the $2-6K range. I actually think the 3DT can compete with many upper tier IEMs, depending on what one’s preferences and priorities are. I like it a lot more than several of my much more expensive IEMs, including the OG MEST. If timbre and a lively sound are of high importance, the 3DT is an easy recommendation, regardless of price.

I will second this. With the right source and a little bit of power the technicalities and timbre are on par with higher priced IEMs. It is very source +/- amp dependent though, the DDs certainly need alot of mW to work to their full potential.

I would also add, for transparency, that I use the filter mod on my set as I found the upper mids a bit shouty - apart from that, I absolutely love my 3DT.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #1,062 of 1,469
I will second this. With the right source and a little bit of power the technicalities and timbre are on par with higher priced IEMs. It is very source +/- amp dependent though, the DDs certainly need alot of mW to worked to their full potential.

I would also add, for transparency, that I use the filter mod on my set as I found the upper mids a bit shouty - apart from that, I absolutely love my 3DT.
Yes, I agree too they are source dependant.
Had a hard time with them opn my P2mkII.

May 19, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,063 of 1,469
Has anyone else tried the RHA dual density tips for the 3DT? I just tried them a few days ago and they're my favorite yet. It would be interesting to see the graphs in the treble region with these tips vs. stock, since as others reported the treble response can vary greatly with different tips on this IEM.
I also really like the RHA DD tips on the 3DT. It is one of my favorite combinations, and is very similar to the SpiralDots that have been my preferred ear tips for the 3DT.

How much does the inevitable imprecession of micropore application affect channel imbalance?
I find that it takes quite a lot of (readily visible) tape asymmetry for me to hear a channel imbalance, but it is easily adjusted if need be. In fact, I’m using an asymmetrical MP tape application to counterbalance a pre-existing channel imbalance on one of my IEM sets.

Good morning man!
Thanks for comparing the two.
Can you provide a link to the Yy 4 core 5N UPOCC cable?
Sure. It is actually on sale right now. In general, you shouldn’t pay over $40 for it.

US $33.99 66% Off | Yy 4 Core 5N UPOCC Single Crystal Copper Cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtyYwbR

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #1,064 of 1,469
I also really like the RHA DD tips on the 3DT. It is one of my favorite combinations, and is very similar to the SpiralDots that have been my preferred ear tips for the 3DT.

I find that it takes quite a lot of (readily visible) tape asymmetry for me to hear a channel imbalance, but it is easily adjusted if need be. In fact, I’m using an asymmetrical MP tape application to counterbalance a pre-existing channel imbalance on one of my IEM sets.

Sure. It is actually on sale right now. In general, you shouldn’t pay over $40 for it.

US $33.99 66% Off | Yy 4 Core 5N UPOCC Single Crystal Copper Cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtyYwbR
Well its asking me $60 for DHL shipping only to here.
Not worth it.
Shipping is double the cost of the cable. :frowning2:

May 19, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,065 of 1,469
Anyway it doesn’t matter.
I remembered I also have this Double Helix old cable which is thick and sturdy (probably a cans cable) which I don’t think gets beaten by anything on bass.
And indeed it sounds pretty bassy with this on the DAP that I was disatisfied with. On the pc my ears were buzzing :wink:

BC921A90-B6A5-4CF5-A335-DA952B18587A.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back