Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
May 21, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #1,081 of 1,469
How interesting, I was using that cable on my 3DT as well and I felt it was a good pairing.
That's interesting as I tried to use the same one but its connectors were too loose to the point of risking to lose buds.
Currently using KBEar ones (Rhyme, Limpid Pro), both work well though I prefer OCC more with 3DT.

May 21, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,082 of 1,469
TBH this makes no sense to me.
I own both products and the power output of the R2R2000 is comfortably more than that of the Oppo (320mw unbalanced vs 220 unbalanced at 32 ohms), not to mention the Oppo’s sabre delta/sigma chip is just a completely different (and poorer imo) topology to the R2R2000’s Burr-Brown r2r. Treatng the R2R2000 as a transport to a lesser device seems a bit off.
I don’t doubt that you enjoy the soundI, i’m just surprised that it ‘works’…’m getting the UM3DT on Monday and will try your set-up for myself. As my tag says, i need to try before i opine!
Not using the OPPO dac only the amplifier which is excellent output of R2R is good but OPPO adds dynamic swings and headroom! Ray Samuels
Emmaline amp class A also sounds great in same config. Thanks for your opine ion!

May 21, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,083 of 1,469
Doubling my question asked in W2 thread here: I felt quite happy with my S1 until I read a few opinions about 3DT being a power-hungry IEM and tried a long forgotten Fiio Q5+AM3B combo. What a difference! 500 mW output + the warmest source signature I've heard so far completely transformed 3DT sound for better so now I struggle going back to S1 sounding very lean and anemic even with Rhyme OCC cable.

The question is: will W2 (or any other dongle with 4.4 balanced output) become a revelation for me being more juicy than S1 (not as much as Q5 though), or the difference is negligible and I'd better look into full-size DAP instead?

May 21, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #1,085 of 1,469
More POWER!!!!! Get Calyx M dap if you can find one….archaic heavy brick but powerful dynamics!
I'm afraid it won't help as I'm 100% streaming now being a loyal Tidal+UAPP addict :frowning2:

May 21, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,088 of 1,469
How interesting, I was using that cable on my 3DT as well and I felt it was a good pairing.
Seems many of us are using the IMR cable with our 3DT - That OFC cable is IMHO the best stock cable supplied with an IEM and IMR provides 2 of them 3.5 & 2.5 and with the upcoming release actually you get three of these 2.5, 3.5, and 4.4!

May 22, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,089 of 1,469
I bought MEST and Monarch pretty recently, expecting them to be a lot better than 3DT. While those more expensive IEMs show some better aspects compared to 3DT, it is crazy how 3DT can compete with them with a lot less than half of their prices. Also 3DT takes the advantage of natural timbre owing to DD + pretty darn close technicalities, I would recommend anyone who is fully satisfied with 3DT not to spend too further trying to hunt for something a lot better. At 319$ (musicteck sale price) this is just insane value, nearly threatening well known 1k IEMs.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,090 of 1,469
I bought MEST and Monarch pretty recently, expecting them to be a lot better than 3DT. While those more expensive IEMs show some better aspects compared to 3DT, it is crazy how 3DT can compete with them with a lot less than half of their prices. Also 3DT takes the advantage of natural timbre owing to DD + pretty darn close technicalities, I would recommend anyone who is fully satisfied with 3DT not to spend too further trying to hunt for something a lot better. At 319$ (musicteck sale price) this is just insane value, nearly threatening well known 1k IEMs.
I don't have experience with kilobuck IEMs, but I've tried a number of the more highly acclaimed ~$300 range IEMs and I am astounded at how the 3DT totally outclasses all of them. It's in another ballpark for sure.

May 22, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,091 of 1,469
My 3DT (70% filter mod, powered by M8+C9, Symbio F tips) will be sitting proudly along side my Traillii.

It offers a more visceral bass impact, rumble and more pleasing decay (to my ear and to my preferences) without sacrificing a great deal of detail in the lows when compared to the Traillii. Traillii outclasses in its detail retrieval across all frequency ranges, but to different degrees, this gap being more clear in the mids and treble. The timbral accurary of most instruments on both is great (with Traillii a small way ahead because of its more revealing treble tuning).

Traillii is a superbly balanced in its presentation, while 3DT unmodded can be aggressively forward (for e.g. listening to Jeff Buckley on Grace with his massive vocal range can sometimes not be enjoyable at all) - thankfully a simple filter mod and tip rolling negates this and brings better balance.

Traillii isn't as source dependent as the 3DT. The 3DT demands a good source and shouldn't be judged until its heard through one.

The reason I plan to keep it as a complement is that it offers me greater bass impact and rumble, a more pleasing DD decay and a smaller and more intimate stage. It is also less of a loss if it were to go missing.

With a good source, perserverance and a willingness to experiment the 3DT competes at the kilobuck price point, easily. The Traillii is a distance ahead in most respects, but so is it's price point.

If you're reading this and thinking of picking up a 3DT, just do it.

The people in this thread are very friendly and together we can help you navigate the small obstacles to enjoying this IEM!

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #1,092 of 1,469
My 3DT (70% filter mod, powered by M8+C9, Symbio F tips) will be sitting proudly along side my Traillii.

It offers a more visceral bass impact, rumble and more pleasing decay (to my ear and to my preferences) without sacrificing a great deal of detail in the lows when compared to the Traillii. Traillii outclasses in its detail retrieval across all frequency ranges, but to different degrees, this gap being more clear in the mids and treble. The timbral accurary of most instruments on both is great (with Traillii a small way ahead because of its more revealing treble tuning).

Traillii is a superbly balanced in its presentation, while 3DT unmodded can be aggressively forward (for e.g. listening to Jeff Buckley on Grace with his massive vocal range can sometimes not be enjoyable at all) - thankfully a simple filter mod and tip rolling negates this and brings better balance.

Traillii isn't as source dependent as the 3DT. The 3DT demands a good source and shouldn't be judged until its heard through one.

The reason I plan to keep it as a complement is that it offers me greater bass impact and rumble, a more pleasing DD decay and a smaller and more intimate stage. It is also less of a loss if it were to go missing.

With a good source, perserverance and a willingness to experiment the 3DT competes at the kilobuck price point, easily. The Traillii is a distance ahead in most respects, but so is it's price point.

The people in this thread are very friendly and together we can help you navigate the small obstacles to enjoying this IEM!

Which filters are you using?

May 22, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #1,093 of 1,469
Filters that came with my Moondrop Starfield that I purchased at the start of my journey down the rabbit hole...

I believe they can be purchased on AliExpress. I think they are also the same filters that are used on the KXXS.

May 22, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #1,094 of 1,469
Filters that came with my Moondrop Starfield that I purchased at the start of my journey down the rabbit hole...

I believe they can be purchased on AliExpress. I think they are also the same filters that are used on the KXXS.
Yeah...i was gonna ask...can so.eone post the link to buy these filters? It would be appreciated.

May 22, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #1,095 of 1,469

Hear, hear! Great post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back