Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
May 22, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #1,096 of 1,469
My 3DT (70% filter mod, powered by M8+C9, Symbio F tips) will be sitting proudly along side my Traillii.

It offers a more visceral bass impact, rumble and more pleasing decay (to my ear and to my preferences) without sacrificing a great deal of detail in the lows when compared to the Traillii. Traillii outclasses in its detail retrieval across all frequency ranges, but to different degrees, this gap being more clear in the mids and treble. The timbral accurary of most instruments on both is great (with Traillii a small way ahead because of its more revealing treble tuning).

Traillii is a superbly balanced in its presentation, while 3DT unmodded can be aggressively forward (for e.g. listening to Jeff Buckley on Grace with his massive vocal range can sometimes not be enjoyable at all) - thankfully a simple filter mod and tip rolling negates this and brings better balance.

Traillii isn't as source dependent as the 3DT. The 3DT demands a good source and shouldn't be judged until its heard through one.

The reason I plan to keep it as a complement is that it offers me greater bass impact and rumble, a more pleasing DD decay and a smaller and more intimate stage. It is also less of a loss if it were to go missing.

With a good source, perserverance and a willingness to experiment the 3DT competes at the kilobuck price point, easily. The Traillii is a distance ahead in most respects, but so is it's price point.

If you're reading this and thinking of picking up a 3DT, just do it.

The people in this thread are very friendly and together we can help you navigate the small obstacles to enjoying this IEM!
Really great post and really great perspective, looking at that contrast with Trailli. The 3DT is also sumpemely comfortable (at least for me) and one of the few IEMs I can sleep comfortably with. Under normal circumstances I travel alot and get mixed up in multiple times zones so having a good set of travel buddies is essential to me and the 3DT with Tennmak Foams also isolate incredibly well to block out the drone of aircraft and other noise. They are an exceptional value on many fronts.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,097 of 1,469
I bought MEST and Monarch pretty recently, expecting them to be a lot better than 3DT. While those more expensive IEMs show some better aspects compared to 3DT, it is crazy how 3DT can compete with them with a lot less than half of their prices. Also 3DT takes the advantage of natural timbre owing to DD + pretty darn close technicalities, I would recommend anyone who is fully satisfied with 3DT not to spend too further trying to hunt for something a lot better. At 319$ (musicteck sale price) this is just insane value, nearly threatening well known 1k IEMs.
I had the OG MEST for a while before I got the 3DT, and quickly grew to like the 3DT more, as a whole. I prefer the 3DT tonality and definitely the timbre. I like my Clairvoyance just a little more than the 3DT, primarily because of the tuning, being pretty much my ideal. Most of the technicalities of the Clair are a bit better, but again, the timbre is clearly the 3DT’s forte. I do prefer both the tonality and timbre of the Clair to the OG MEST. The MEST is really a technical beast.

Yeah...i was gonna ask...can so.eone post the link to buy these filters? It would be appreciated.
I purchased all of my Moondrop filters from Shenzhen Audio. I purchased just the filters w/o the Mistips, and the tweezers that come with each set are very well designed (same as what comes with the Moondrop IEMs). You can also find the filters from sellers on AliExpress.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...ssories-for-spaceship-kxxs-starfield-earphone

There are basically 2 sizes available, and the Starfield, KXXS, KPE, and Aria filters are the ones that perfectly fit the 3DT.
The Spaceship ones are smaller.
The ones for the Blessing 2 and S8 are just dust filters, and don’t (or at least shouldn’t) affect the sound.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,100 of 1,469
I had the OG MEST for a while before I got the 3DT, and quickly grew to like the 3DT more, as a whole. I prefer the 3DT tonality and definitely the timbre. I like my Clairvoyance just a little more than the 3DT, primarily because of the tuning, being pretty much my ideal. Most of the technicalities of the Clair are a bit better, but again, the timbre is clearly the 3DT’s forte. I do prefer both the tonality and timbre of the Clair to the OG MEST. The MEST is really a technical beast.

I purchased all of my Moondrop filters from Shenzhen Audio. I purchased just the filters w/o the Mistips, and the tweezers that come with each set are very well designed (same as what comes with the Moondrop IEMs). You can also find the filters from sellers on AliExpress.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...ssories-for-spaceship-kxxs-starfield-earphone

There are basically 2 sizes available, and the Starfield, KXXS, KPE, and Aria filters are the ones that perfectly fit the 3DT.
The Spaceship ones are smaller.
The ones for the Blessing 2 and S8 are just dust filters, and don’t (or at least shouldn’t) affect the sound.
Concerning filters and your link, which size should I choose for 3DT?

May 22, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #1,101 of 1,469
May 22, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #1,102 of 1,469
All, since the 3DT is souce dependent, do you think the Hiby R5 will bring out its potential?
I do not want to buy new source.

TIA

May 22, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #1,104 of 1,469
I haven't double blinded it and isolated each element, and don't plan to, but I can report the following:

New unburned in 3DT with LP W2 SE HG + stock SPC cable + Azla SednaEarfits = A little shouty in the upper mids.

Replacement (new unburned in) 3DT with Shanling M3X balanced + UPOCC cable + stock tips = smoother and not as shouty in the upper mids.

No mods applied.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,105 of 1,469
Anyone that wants cheap synergy check out Qudelix 5k. I've been so surprised how good it is. Don't like any mid priced daps personally.
I am pairing my IEMs with Qudelix5 for convenience. And the app for Q5 is just exceptional. Now I can't leave without the PEG function that the app has.
3DT shows its potential well with Q5, while it could be better when paired with higher power or dedicated DAPs.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,106 of 1,469
Today checked my 3DT on a measurement stand on a local HiFi show and realized that something is definitely wrong with bass driver in the right earpiece, later confirmed by a simple tone generator with very audible balance difference below 1 kHz :frowning2:

Did anyone experience that? Any suggestions? Feeling very sad as these become my preferred daily IEM lately :frowning2:

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_112022.jpg
    IMG_20210523_112022.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
May 23, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,107 of 1,469
Today checked my 3DT on a measurement stand on a local HiFi show and realized that something is definitely wrong with bass driver in the right earpiece, later confirmed by a simple tone generator with very audible balance difference below 1 kHz :frowning2:

Did anyone experience that? Any suggestions? Feeling very sad as these become my preferred daily IEM lately :frowning2:

Might not necessarily be the bass driver. This kind of FR could also be caused by a leak. Check the shell and nozzle for potential gaps / cracks.

May 23, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,108 of 1,469
Might not necessarily be the bass driver. This kind of FR could also be caused by a leak. Check the shell and nozzle for potential gaps / cracks.
Thanks! Definitely, might be a shell/nozzle issue. Under a closer examination I found a defect which might be a potential crack but it seems to be natural as it can't be felt but only seen so should be secured by a resin layer...

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_213706.jpg
    IMG_20210523_213706.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 23, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,109 of 1,469
Thanks! Definitely, might be a shell/nozzle issue. Under a closer examination I found a defect which might be a potential crack but it seems to be natural as it can't be felt but only seen so should be secured by a resin layer...

I doubt that would be it. I think your issue is internal. If the driver itself hasn't failed, then potentially the connection between DD and nozzle has run loose or lost its seal. Sorry to hear this has happened, hope you find a solution...

May 23, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,110 of 1,469
I doubt that would be it. I think your issue is internal. If the driver itself hasn't failed, then potentially the connection between DD and nozzle has run loose or lost its seal. Sorry to hear this has happened, hope you find a solution...
Thanks for your support! I wrote an email to UM support team as suggested by Leo, hope we could find a way to investigate and fix it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back