Uneven ears
Apr 8, 2007 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kanamin

100+ Head-Fier
Guys, I think my ears are unbalanced D: Not in terms of loudness, they hear the same in that respect, but I swear I can hear more soundstage and depth in my left ear than the right. I thought it was mismatched drivers in my headphones at first, but then I turned them around and both sounded the same, i.e. as if they had not been switched. Then I thought it was my amp, but I took it out of the line (i.e. hooked headphones up to source) and did the same test, same result. The weird thing is, I have more tinnitus in my left ear (that's right, in the "better" ear) than the right. Also, when I try to pop my ears by pinching my nose and blowing, my left ear releases pressure much more easily than the right (it feels as if there's a duct in there somewhere that's allowing this, I can hear something "opening"). Anyone else have/has had this problem before? I'm getting really annoyed by this, I'm hoping it's something a little deep cleaning can solve (lack of the "duct" on the right side, clogged?), or maybe not using headphones for a month (gasp!) or so.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 19
Yeah, I have the same thing. One reason could be that you have your car window down as your driving; rushing wind pounds in your eardrum and hurts it.

But even so, most music is focused on your left side, so that even more screws your judgment.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But even so, most music is focused on your left side, so that even more screws your judgment.

I've noticed that! and it drives me nuts, I might even go back to lo-fi (ok I really don't have anything hi-fi yet lol) just to avoid soundstage. Or I could get a pair of Grados
icon10.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 19
Earwax?

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earwax?

Deep in the inner ear maybe, but I use Q-tips after every time I shower
plainface.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plainface.gif

Q-tips don't really help. Overuse might make the situation worse. If you're worried about earwax, you can get your ears cleaned at an ENT. Also, if they're not equalizing the same way, you could just be congested. Have you been under the weather recently?

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 19
try seeing a doctor that specializes in ears. i doubt they can do anything but at least you can live with knowing if it's you or something else

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 19
Get your ears checked and/or cleaned. Don't mess around with a hearing problem.

If you can't find a remedy, try using a balance control with your headphones. I don't know if there are any commercial ones on the market, but you can whip one up pretty easily with a balance control and a few wires.

Apr 8, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

plainface.gif

i dont recommend this because if you have alot it will push the waxes in, but what you could do is tear some of the cotton off. letting the water run into the ears is also good to damp those dry waxes.

best to get ears check by a doctor for your conditions though.

i this may be strange, but felt sometimes it good to have some earwaxes to act as a noise damper, i have almost none and i felt that allow too much noises in sometimes.

Apr 8, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Q-tips don't really help. Overuse might make the situation worse. If you're worried about earwax, you can get your ears cleaned at an ENT. Also, if they're not equalizing the same way, you could just be congested. Have you been under the weather recently?

Actually, yes, I'm a bit sick. Wow, that might be it! Yeah, it's either my wishful thinking or coincidence of my K81's arriving around the time I got sick but I noticed this only after around that time. Or it could be the wax. Or both. ENT? This is a relief, if that's the case.

Apr 8, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Actually, yes, I'm a bit sick. Wow, that might be it! Yeah, it's either my wishful thinking or coincidence of my K81's arriving around the time I got sick but I noticed this only after around that time. Or it could be the wax. Or both. ENT? This is a relief, if that's the case.

ugh, I know how you feel...got my ER4P/S at the near-peak of a cold/flu.

But still, overall the dominant left-side for music will always be there.

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn, i thought you were talking like, your ears weren't symmetrical. then we'd have enough people to start a head-fi freakshow. i'm going to hell, you don't have to tell me.
frown.gif

Lol only if you believe so
evil_smiley.gif
I'll stop there, as this isn't the forum...

Apr 8, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

yeah, dude. Just get some antibiotics or antihistamines or something and ride it out. You don't have to feel all that bad to get some fluid up in there and it will make your ears feel tight. Don't know how it influences your perception of sound, but wait till you know you're well and see if you're still hearing the same way.
wink.gif

Edit: Monk: Head-fi Freak Show? Wouldn't that just be a normal 'post a pic of yourself' thread? There I am over on the left. Notice the sunken eyes, oversaturated and posterized pallor, my intractably receding hairline. The Audio Technicas are glued on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back