Understanding Digital and Analog Jitter
Jan 2, 2017 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

mwhals

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a good video explaining what causes jitter and how digital is converted to analog and the reverse.

https://youtu.be/grzoqEb2KMk

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 95
I don't have time right now to address everything, but that's far from a good video. It contains some misunderstandings in how digital signals are conveyed, as well as how signal timing is used to reconstruct the waveform. It contains a lot of handwaving, but zero actual measurements or examples from real devices. In addition, it ends with the laughably incorrect claim that ears are far more discerning than measurements (when the reverse is true in reality). I'll try to remember to come back to address it in more detail later, but I really wouldn't trust much from that presenter based on how badly incorrect this video is.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 95
It would take quite a bit to refute all the misconceptions in this video.  Plus many reasonable conceptions blown out of proportion.

You want to know what you need to know about jitter?  With modern gear it is a non-issue.  Don't worry about it.  Do not fret over it.  Just ignore the issue and move along.  Someone tries to sell you a solution to the problem, you know they are conning you.  Ignore them and move on.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 95
there are some things to learn but if people can't tell when something is wrong, they will also intake the mistakes and exaggerations as being factual, and that's not good.
so bad learning material IMO.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 95
This is a good video explaining what causes jitter and how digital is converted to analog and the reverse.

https://youtu.be/grzoqEb2KMk

That's actually a pretty bad video for explaining jitter (not to mention the other things he gets wrong).

Also, he doesn't even show a jitter measurement graph.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 95
Someone post a video that truthfully explains it if this is wrong.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 95
Someone post a video that truthfully explains it if this is wrong.

Just watch all of Monty's videos if you're serious (not that half ignorant crap from Hans Boykens). You'll learn about a lot more than just jitter:

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 95
Jan 2, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 95
The Truth is not confined to the information found in videos.

Seriously?

Ok, well then....

I was responding to the demand for a video that "truthfully explains what is wrong" with the video in the first post of this thread. It's like you can only have the "truth" if it's in a video, and can only prove the untruthfulness of one video with the truthfulness of another. Shockingly, there are other sources for the truth besides self-published YouTube videos. I know, I know, it's hard to believe anything in just plain old writing, especially if it doesn't have any pictures, much less moving ones. But the truth about jitter, for example, is out there and may not necessarily be in a video. Dig a little.

As to the video linked in the original post: if you could graph "truth" against the videos timeline, with time on the X axis and "truth" on the Y axis it might look something like an inverted logarithmic curve, starting high and rapidly dropping to zero.

That guy deserves to have his AP rig confiscated and donated to a worthy cause.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 95
Seriously?

Ok, well then....

I was responding to the demand for a video that "truthfully explains what is wrong" with the video in the first post of this thread. It's like you can only have the "truth" if it's in a video, and can only prove the untruthfulness of one video with the truthfulness of another. Shockingly, there are other sources for the truth besides self-published YouTube videos. I know, I know, it's hard to believe anything in just plain old writing, especially if it doesn't have any pictures, much less moving ones. But the truth about jitter, for example, is out there and may not necessarily be in a video. Dig a little.

As to the video linked in the original post: if you could graph "truth" against the videos timeline, with time on the X axis and "truth" on the Y axis it might look something like an inverted logarithmic curve, starting high and rapidly dropping to zero.

That guy deserves to have his AP rig confiscated and donated to a worthy cause.

1. Yeah, I know what your point was. The 'WUT' was humor.

2. I bet his AP rig doesn't even work.  It seems more like a prop than a tool he uses.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 95
Sorry I missed the humor. It's one of those "crabby old man" days.

Expensive prop, but you're probably right. I guess I'd he put an old ATS-1 out as a prop we'd be taking shots at that too.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 95
Sorry I missed the humor. It's one of those "crabby old man" days.

Expensive prop, but you're probably right. I guess I'd he put an old ATS-1 out as a prop we'd be taking shots at that too.

BTW, here is what he said about using the Audio Precision and publishing results:

"I do measure all equipment but I will not publish them since it will scare those people of I try to reach out to. My colleagues of Stereophile, Hifi+ and TAS do publish measurements, you might go there."

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 95
I don't have time right now to address everything, but that's far from a good video. It contains some misunderstandings in how digital signals are conveyed, as well as how signal timing is used to reconstruct the waveform. It contains a lot of handwaving, but zero actual measurements or examples from real devices. In addition, it ends with the laughably incorrect claim that ears are far more discerning than measurements (when the reverse is true in reality). I'll try to remember to come back to address it in more detail later, but I really wouldn't trust much from that presenter based on how badly incorrect this video is.

That was an educational video for people new to audio so it's okay from a broad level understanding standpoint. In fact, ears are far more discerning than measurement equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back