Underrated guitar players
Feb 12, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #46 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
Steve Hackett was the lead guitarist of Genesis during what most considered its artistic heydays....

Thank you.

Quote:

Mark Knopfler is definitely up there as a great guitar player. I would go beyond his Dire Straits and solo albums and check out his soundtrack works.

MK is my #1 pick.

Feb 12, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #48 of 119
Jim O'Rourke is great.
Doug Martsch was my saving grace in the 90's.

uh, Peter Green is freakin great...unless you're a hater on Fleetwood Mac.

Graham Coxon of Blur redefined the sound of pop IMO.

Zappa is NOT underrated. I know people that worship Zappa more than anything else.

Leadbelly played with Woody Guthrie and was a great original trubador/blues guitar player

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #49 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng

Zappa is NOT underrated. I know people that worship Zappa more than anything else.

It is true that some people worship Zappa, but many other people view him as a novelty act, which is why I agree that he is underated. Kind of like before when I said Trey Anastasia. There are people that worship him, but is only a small community that does so (then again, Phish does seem to have gotten bigger than the community it started, so maybe they aren't underrated)

Cheers,
-Silby

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #50 of 119
ugh, Trey... sorry, i know people love jam bands and Phish, but i really can't stand his guitar work. he may be a great guitar player, but he plays wanky crap (just my opinion).
i think it's cuz i grew up around hippies and their hippie music so it kills me.

Zappa may be considered a novelty act, but i don't know of anyone that's heard his stuff and not been at least impressed by his ability.
even on Overnite sensation he is amazing.
Camarillo Brillo is soo good.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #51 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
ugh, Trey... sorry, i know people love jam bands and Phish, but i really can't stand his guitar work. he may be a great guitar player, but he plays wanky crap (just my opinion).

You have the right to your oppinion, but I wonder if you have ever seen a good live phish show. In my high school and college years I probably went to almost 100 shows (yeah I know) and I won't tell you there were no stinkers, but when they played right, they innovated sounds and ways of blending different instuments and voices in a way that I don't think has ever been done before. I realize that Trey's style is greatly influenced by Zappa, The Talking Heads, and the like, but I really feel that he took it to a different (if not better) level. I also think that you can attribute the modern "jam band" scene almost exclusively to Phish (I know it can be argued that they really just took over the Dead scene, but this simply isn't true) If you want to hear how good they can be, get one of the halloween shows in which they play someone elses album for a middle set, it will give you a good opportunity to check out his style. I recommend either the show in which they cover the Talking Heads or the show in which they cover the Velvet Underground). Of course you also have the right to simply not enjoy that sound, like I have difficulty sometimes with bluegrass.

So far, nobody has mentioned Sterling Morrison of the VU, who was amazing and ground breaking, there are few bands they didn't influence.

Cheers,
-SIlby

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #52 of 119
well i'm sure Phish did found the modern jam scene but i'm really unimpressed with it as a scene all together. it pales in comparsion to the Dead, or to Miles Davis during the Bitches Brew era (which by the way, I can't stand... i love In a Silent way, but Bitches brew is really awful)
i've been to plenty of phish shows, i live in Oregon where we invented the Gooball and if you want to smoke pot, you need merely to wander 10 minutes from your house where you will stumble upon a field of homegrown...seriously.

Yeah I totally agree with you about Sterling Morrison, and look what Ira Kaplan has done with Yo La Tengo, talk about utilizing feedback!

I don't think Trey has taken the guitar to a new level or reinvented anything. He is really doing what the Dead were doing, only with a slight modern twist.
now take Doug Martsch from Built to Spill who has taken the whole Neil young thing and made it a completely new thing all together.

I know what you're saying, i have friends who are all about Trey and Phish, but i've never seen it that way.
but all in all, it's each to their own... Phish must be doing something right because they have a huge following.
in all honesty, there is no such thing as bad music because someone likes it (except for michael bolton)
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #54 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by Silby

Oh yeah, Mark Knopfler is definitely an under-rated guitarist. I think the comment about how he is more of a musician than a guitarist just goes to show that he is still not given his due as a guitar player, in spite of creating some of the most instantly recognizable riffs in modern pop/rock, as well as crafting more subtle works that have layers of nuances that are revealed through repeated listennings. I highly advise anyone who disagrees to pick up the album "Sailing to Philadelphia," as I feel it is a near masterpiece (it has veryt few flaws and is consistent at creating a mood that you can get lost in without sounding repetitive - I also put Tom Petty's Wildflowers in this category) that illustrates my points.

I originally made the comment about being a musician first, and I did not mean that to detract from his guitar skills, but more as a compliment. Mark Knopfler is an amazing guitarist - technically outstanding. But there are a lot of technically outstanding guitarists. A lot of them I don't like listening to because all they do is show off. There's no innovation or imagination - no artistry in it - it's basically all about the speed or complexity. Mark Knopfler, on the other hand, can play some incredibly complex or fast stuff, but you're not drawn to it by "wow, that's so fast!" or "wow, look at all the notes he's playing!" but rather how his riffs, licks and solos add to the mood of the song. I have Sailing To Philadelphia and love it - and I'm amazed at how different he can sound from one song to the next. He's extremely versatile - and that's what I admire about him.

Feb 13, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #55 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88
I originally made the comment about being a musician first, and I did not mean that to detract from his guitar skills, but more as a compliment. Mark Knopfler is an amazing guitarist - technically outstanding. But there are a lot of technically outstanding guitarists. A lot of them I don't like listening to because all they do is show off. There's no innovation or imagination - no artistry in it - it's basically all about the speed or complexity. Mark Knopfler, on the other hand, can play some incredibly complex or fast stuff, but you're not drawn to it by "wow, that's so fast!" or "wow, look at all the notes he's playing!" but rather how his riffs, licks and solos add to the mood of the song. I have Sailing To Philadelphia and love it - and I'm amazed at how different he can sound from one song to the next. He's extremely versatile - and that's what I admire about him.

I can dig it. I know exactly what you mean, I am sorry I misunderstood what you were saying earlier. I agree with what you are saying too. Talent is not necessarily how many notes you can play at a certaiin time, but also forming an intimate understanding of the instrument that and creating single notes or a short "phrasing" that hold more power than an onslaught of fretwork, though having fast hands never hurt a guitarist.

Cheers,
Silby

By the way, when does the most overrated guitarist thread get started, my vote is for Yanni (HA HA HA)

Feb 13, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #56 of 119
I wholeheartedly agree the MK is a great guitarist. I never got to see him with Dire Straits or solo, but I did see him as Eric Clapton's 2nd/rhythm guitarist at the Tacoma Dome in Seattle during Clapton's 25th anniversary tour. I had 5th row center seats and it was one of the best shows that I have ever witnessed. To watch those two nonchalantly trade one wicked solo after another was truly a thing of awe and beauty. Those two are so good that is is almost beyond comprehension.

Regards

Feb 13, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #57 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by Spiret
Steve Hackett

Yeah, I already posted about him on page 2 of this thread!
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you're a Hackett fan, you must buy 'To Watch The Storm' , his latest album. Great album, and Steve's vocals are really good on this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #58 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by Cherokee Mist
I wholeheartedly agree the MK is a great guitarist. I never got to see him with Dire Straits or solo, but I did see him as Eric Clapton's 2nd/rhythm guitarist at the Tacoma Dome in Seattle during Clapton's 25th anniversary tour. I had 5th row center seats and it was one of the best shows that I have ever witnessed. To watch those two nonchalantly trade one wicked solo after another was truly a thing of awe and beauty. Those two are so good that is is almost beyond comprehension.

SWEET!

Feb 13, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #60 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by Nisbeth
There's a concert-DVD called "Music for Montserrat" where Clapton and Knopfler play "Layla" together and generally have a good time, that's absolutely fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif
(Also has a version of "Money for Nothing" with Sting, Clapton, Knopfler and Phil Collins playing together
biggrin.gif
)

/U.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Cool, thanks for the heads up
-Silby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back