Underrated Classical musicians
Feb 17, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #16 of 18
I think Anne Queffelec is underrated.  Her Satie recordings on Virgin have gotten good reviews, but she often gets passed over in favor of Roge, Ciccolini, or even DeLeeuw.

But in my view she does a great job of giving us a playful yet languorous reading of the famous pieces of Satie (Gymnopedies, Gnossiennes) while not being as slow as DeLeeuw.  In contrast, I find most of the other recommended pianists to be excessively fast and even inappropriately virtuosic.  But Satie himself was not a virtuoso pianist and was an inventor of background music (or furniture music as he called it).

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #17 of 18
  I think Anne Queffelec is underrated.  Her Satie recordings on Virgin have gotten good reviews, but she often gets passed over in favor of Roge, Ciccolini, or even DeLeeuw.

But in my view she does a great job of giving us a playful yet languorous reading of the famous pieces of Satie (Gymnopedies, Gnossiennes) while not being as slow as DeLeeuw.  In contrast, I find most of the other recommended pianists to be excessively fast and even inappropriately virtuosic.  But Satie himself was not a virtuoso pianist and was an inventor of background music (or furniture music as he called it).

Thanks. I'm curious about it. I liked this faster than usual version by Rachel Grimes. (I don't know if she's recorded Satie besides this.)

Another under-rated performer is violinist Lucy van Dael. Here she's playing Corelli with the unusual accompaniment of the organ, which surprisingly works.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #18 of 18

Odd that I don't have Queffelec in my collection, I have a slightly obsessive number of recordings of Satie. I'll check her out, and put in my 2c that Roland Pöntinen's (on BIS) is my go-to Satie. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back