Under rated cans?
Jan 8, 2006 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

ironmics

100+ Head-Fier
What do you think is the most under appreciated/rated can out there?

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 49
Hmm... I don't really think there are any. Most good cans seem to get their due around here.

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 49
Bose Triport
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 49
I thought people were hyping them. They sound incredible. If you have $20 you don't need, go out to your local Circuit City (or whoever you can get them from) and buy 'em. Either that or order them from Amazon ($13.99+shipping). They will not disappoint, I kid you not.

[just got them today to replace my failure KSC-35]

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 49
I dunno if it's underrated or unappreciated, but my pair of AKG K240s is sounding really nice right now.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I thought people were hyping them. They sound incredible. If you have $20 you don't need, go out to your local Circuit City (or whoever you can get them from) and buy 'em. Either that or order them from Amazon ($13.99+shipping). They will not disappoint, I kid you not.

[just got them today to replace my failure KSC-35]

Have to agree. I don't think it's actually possible for these to be hyped too much, they really are that good
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
I dunno if it's underrated or unappreciated, but my pair of AKG K240s is sounding really nice right now.

I haven't heard them myself, but for a headphone with damn nice specs, a great frequency response graph and being the industry standard for recording, that thing must be way underloved.

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 49
Get this guys:

Koss KSC-75 is $14 on USA Amazon and £25 on UK amazon, and you cant buy them from US amazon if you live in UK. Well thanks a bunch you rip-off barstewards!
mad.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
I haven't heard them myself, but for a headphone with damn nice specs, a great frequency response graph and being the industry standard for recording, that thing must be way underloved.

I think the K240S might be intended to be driven from studio amps (different impedance) which might account for its rep of overblown bass around here. If so, that would be an understandable reason.

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 49
If you want a pair, I'll order two, one for me one for you and ship you the other one. It might wind up costing the same with the additional shipping though.

(My profile says Germany but I'm in the US Army and we get the US mail system extended out here for no additional costs).

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #14 of 49
All jokes aside, of all the headphones I have owned, and heard, the Sony MDR-CD3000 was an incredible listening experience. If they told me it cost over $1000, I would say, Well it sure sounds like it!
3000smile.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #15 of 49
I know this is going to sound strange, but this is just how I feel about the 595 now:

I bought them around 10 months ago as I wanted some nice cans that could be driven by iPod, complementing the SR225. Not bad at all, but nothing special either. Straight from the Apogee MiniDAC, the SR225 was soo much better. I've got better cans after that. Never used again since 8 months apart from DVD and games.

I did plug it on the EMP Ann. Ed. around 2 weeks ago and I'm really loving it. I never thought it could be so good. Being a bit neutrish (and a bit boring sometimes), some nice warm tubes really make it sing. Kind of HP1000 if I may. Not that they sound the same at all. It's just that they share that affinity for tubes IMHO.

I'm so glad I keep it. Sometimes I just stop listening the L3000 from the EMP and I reach the 595 instead. They are getting now their fair share of listening time. And they are competing with HE60, L3000, UE10Pro...

I guess I'm just saying that the 595 is a quite capable headphone on the right setup (Warm tubes IMHO). Quite honestly, I didn't expect that. But that's what my ears feel.

Add to this that they are really versatile cans. I can´t think on anything better for games and dvds. They are really comfortable. And they are very easy to drive (PCDPs,DAPs,Laptop,Consoles,...). They are relatively cheap too.

For 8 months I was thinking the purchase of the 595 (music-wise) was a mistake. Now I don't think so, after pairing with a nice tube amp.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back