Under rated cans?
Jan 8, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #16 of 49
The better Philips cans, mostly due to not being available in the US and thus not too frequently discussed here. Oh, and the Sennheiser HD414, for its historic role. 1980s' DT990 perhaps (I bet there are some other older cans that are far from bad today).

Jan 8, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller-8
Get this guys:

Koss KSC-75 is $14 on USA Amazon and £25 on UK amazon, and you cant buy them from US amazon if you live in UK. Well thanks a bunch you rip-off barstewards!
mad.gif

I believe it's called "protected distributor/dealer territories" and you'll find it with Grado as well - not to mention tons of goods in other sectors.
At least you get the Philips headphone line and the U.S. doesn't
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller-8
Get this guys:

Koss KSC-75 is $14 on USA Amazon and £25 on UK amazon, and you cant buy them from US amazon if you live in UK. Well thanks a bunch you rip-off barstewards!
mad.gif

EAT ME...you can get PS-1's, we can't!

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #19 of 49
Philips HP-series. I've only heard the HP170 and HP250, which are the low rungs of the HP series. They're great budget headphones that don't get any attention around here. The HP170 was a FOTM a long while back at head-fi, but has faded in popularity. I've read about nothing but good things about the HP series, especially price-performance ratio. They should provide several great options for the sub-$100 category, but since they have no presence in the US market, they remain largely ignored.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #20 of 49
How about Ultrasones. A Head-Fi sponsor, and I've never heard talk of even ONE Ultrasone can around here.
confused.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reputator
Sennheiser eH350s
eggosmile.gif

Have to agree with this, or its earlier incarnation, the HD 497. There are plenty of people who love it, but I see far too many dismissive comments about it. IMO, it's a worthy contender for best <$100 can, along with SR-60, MS-1, and SA1000. Unfortunately, it hasn't had the time to acquire the cult status of the Grado and Alessandro phones.

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #24 of 49
the akg k14p , people underrate it due to its lack of bass but i find the bass is quite okay . The mid and highs are outstanding for a $20 earbud

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #25 of 49
damn, i can't seem to find a place that sells these Philips HP series of headphones.

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #27 of 49
The first thing I noticed in these forums was the lack of Ultrasone Discussion. I mean it is a sponsor of the forums yet I never see them mentioned. Does anyone here actually own them?

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 49
I think part of the reason why Ultrasone is discounted by many head-fiers is because of their marketing approach. This may be because they're a German company that has apparently never hired a native English speaker to do marketing copy.

They may be fine headphones for all I know, but their marketing copy talks only about "surround sound", "feeling the beat", "three dimensional music enjoyment", "LE and ULE standards." When I see such meaningless jargon and fluff in the description, I tend to think the headphones are full of gimmicks (like the Skullcandy or Logitech phones), and aren't really serious about music reproduction.

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #29 of 49
Recabled Beyer Dynamics DT 990's. Without a doubt, the best sound I have ever heard in a set of phones. Very underated around here.
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
How about Ultrasones. A Head-Fi sponsor, and I've never heard talk of even ONE Ultrasone can around here.
confused.gif

Yea well are any of them good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back