Under-appreciated or little known classical music?
Jun 11, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #316 of 321
Really, Bruno Maderna's entire oeuvre is pretty under-appreciated, despite the fact that he was a major player on the Darmstadt scene from the 1950s to his death in 1973, which prompted Pierre Boulez to write his Rituel in memoriam Bruno Maderna, a piece with the distinction of being one of Boulez' few works that has both been finished and left as originally finished since its completion.

Check out Sinopoli's recordings of Aura, Biogramma, and Quadrivium on DG if you can track them down.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #317 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been to a concert last night and was glad to discover a masterpiece by a modern Chinese composer:
B00007KI20.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Iris dévoilée by Qigang Chen

Is this available only as MP3?

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #318 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this available only as MP3?

hee hee... ooooops.... I had replied to a post from 2006. Old news.

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #319 of 321
Joan Tower "Made in America"
m

is not under-appreciated (it won an award at the 50th Grammys), but it was little-known to me. Excellent "easy-listening" contemporary music (often makes me think of Herrmann's movie scores), and the recording is demonstration-quality (I'll bring it to the Norcal meet as my test disc).

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #321 of 321
Can't recommend this CD enough for classical music lovers:

Danzon No. 2 is such a hauntingly beautiful track that I always come back to it time and time again....the dynamics make it even better. It has become a demo track as well as a favorite of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back