Under-appreciated or little known classical music?
Feb 22, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #286 of 321
Costanzo Festa: La Spagna

ancient music -- from the 15th century, but incisively sad

available on SACD, no less

Feb 23, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #287 of 321
Here is another recording from a great series which I have enjoyed thus far:

Gyrowetz - Symphonies from the Contemporaries of Mozart Series

B00003XB27.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Recording material and sound quality is excellent.

Apr 16, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #288 of 321
On this Easter day, I wanted to share a couple of works that are little known and underappreciated to be sure, but that have enriched my life for years.

B00008J2OZ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Harris Symphony # 3 - We've discussed this in other threads, but I'm not sure if its come up in this "underappreciated" thread. Get Harris' Third Symphony - you won't regret it. This is my favorite recording of the work, and it's a budget cheapo to boot, with great Schuman and Barber readings too, including Adagio for Strings.

B0000057L3.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Bloch - Concerto Grosso #s 1 and 2 - Some of the best American symphonic music ever written. # 1 is such a part of my life I need to listen to it at least once a month. This is my favorite reading, but be warned - It's very much an example of the Mercury Living Presence sound. Other versions are out there as well.

Have a great holiday!

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #289 of 321
Don't think this has been mentioned before, but I just love this recording of 2 of John Field's piano Concertos

JohnField.jpg

Amazon link is here.

I believe Naxos also has all 6 of Field's piano concertos played by Benjamin Firth. There's also a disc of Field's Nocturnes too on YM if I'm not mistaken.

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #291 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by xchagg
Don't think this has been mentioned before, but I just love this recording of 2 of John Field's piano Concertos

JohnField.jpg

Amazon link is here.

I believe Naxos also has all 6 of Field's piano concertos played by Benjamin Firth. There's also a disc of Field's Nocturnes too on YM if I'm not mistaken.

It's nice seeing some more of Field's music being mentioned here. I have John O'Conor's recording of Field's Nocturnes which is lovely, and I recently got this box set of Field and Chopin Nocturnes (and also nocturnes by some other composers as well) which is excellent.
B000003CVP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B0009VI4X0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #292 of 321
Mondonville -Jean-Joseph Cassanéa De (1711-1772)

You have a wonderful direction at Erato
by William Christie and Arts Florissants (check here for more of them)

For Charpentier and some baroque composer, I will say : Jean-Claude Malgoire.

Take a look at ECM Records. I discovered them for Arvo Pärt albums.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #293 of 321
I have a soft spot for Oboe Concertos, and there aren't that many pieces written for the oboe compared to say . . . the violin
tongue.gif
(or at least that I know of ha)

One of my favourite recordings is this:
Lebrun.jpg

Amazon information available here.

The sound quality of the recording is superb, Schneemann is excellent, and well, it's an Oboe Concerto
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #294 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz

For Charpentier and some baroque composer, I will say : Jean-Claude Malgoire.

I suggest Marc Minkowski, Martin Gester, William Christie, Herve Niquet and Christophe Rousset (in this order of preference) as alternative interpreters for Charpentier and other French baroque composers. BTW, William Chrisite seems to "own" Charpentier's operatic masterpiece, Médée, which he recorded not once but twice.
biggrin.gif

My pick of THE most neglected famous French baroque composer would be Michel-Richard Delalande, leader in chamber music at the courts of Louis XIV and Louis XV. Superb as courtly light entertainment are his Symphonies pour les Soupers du Roy in the form of a trumpet symphony followed by 12 orchestral suites, 185 pieces in total. The only complete recording of this music that I know of (now sadly out of print) is from a very inspired Hugo Reyne and his ensemble, "La Simphonie de Marais": (Harmonia Mundi HMC 901337/40, 4 CDs 1990)

However more recordings have come out to introduce modern listeners to his sacred vocal music. For example British group Ex Cathedra and its director Jeffrey Skidmore made an album called Music for the Sun King. This is the recording that brought up the (in)famous copyright legal suit from Delalande scholar Lionel Sawkins which nearly bankrupted Hyperion as a result. It is not hard to imagine the reasons for the company's decision to put the album out of print.

Te Deum; Venite Exultemus; Panis Angelicus from Sacris Solemnis; La Grande Pièce Royale. Hyperion CDA 67325 (1 CD 2002.)

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #295 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
On this Easter day, I wanted to share a couple of works that are little known and underappreciated to be sure, but that have enriched my life for years.

B00008J2OZ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Harris Symphony # 3 - We've discussed this in other threads, but I'm not sure if its come up in this "underappreciated" thread. Get Harris' Third Symphony - you won't regret it. This is my favorite recording of the work, and it's a budget cheapo to boot, with great Schuman and Barber readings too, including Adagio for Strings.

B0000057L3.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Bloch - Concerto Grosso #s 1 and 2 - Some of the best American symphonic music ever written. # 1 is such a part of my life I need to listen to it at least once a month. This is my favorite reading, but be warned - It's very much an example of the Mercury Living Presence sound. Other versions are out there as well.

Have a great holiday!

For anyone interested in the Bloch piece, I also picked up this recording:

B00005A8FK.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's a much more "cavernous" recording venue and style, and a slower, more relaxed interpretation of the works. I like it very much as an alternative to the Hanson, and some here might prefer it if they don't happen to like the Mercury "house sound".

May 22, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #296 of 321
I confess I only ordered Rene Jacobs' recording of Schutz Nativity to pad my last berkshirerecordoutlet order above the minimum. Well, I am very happy about this "filler"! Considering it was written some 80 years earlier, Schutz Nativity stands very well the comparison with Bach Christmas Oratorium. The music is surprisingly rich and touching, it is played with affection, and recorded with a warm, well balanced sound. Highly recommended to Bach lovers (and not only...)

May 22, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #297 of 321
All good classical et al. music is underappreciated these days, notwithstanding a couple pieces that happen to have been in milk commercials, cell phone ringtones, or Apocalypse Now.
We live in a time of unprecedented cultural explosion, and the diversity of music happening right now is astounding; we also live in a time of intellectual and personal laziness, so many people are aware only of whatever happens to float in front of their face.

EDIT: While I'm here, I'll throw in my vote for the album that I happen to be listening to as I type, which is Emma Kirkby singing Mozart's Exultate Jubilate. It also has a couple Reginae Coeli on it.

May 23, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #298 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kai Miller
EDIT: While I'm here, I'll throw in my vote for the album that I happen to be listening to as I type, which is Emma Kirkby singing Mozart's Exultate Jubilate. It also has a couple Reginae Coeli on it.

I love that recording on Lyre label and easily the best Exultate Jubilate I have heard.......Kirkby is wonderfully animated and the high note could crack a diamond, just breathtaking performance.

May 23, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #300 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Ferbose,

I think I may be getting that recording as Bolcom was a student of one of my favorite composers, Darius Milhaud.
smily_headphones1.gif

Meanwhile, I just received this today and want to recommend it to anyone who is looking for something that is off the beaten track. It's well within the budget as I think it is still at yourmusic. Warning, Goliov is not for everyone -- if you like your music very straightforward classical you may not find this to your taste. If you like world music, love strange rhythms and musical sounds from other cultures this is just for you. It also has an older song cycle by Berio based on American folksongs which is very good as well, but it's the Goliov that is so amazing. He has created a blend of Klezmer, Spanish, Israeli, old Sephardic and Arab music that is astonishingly unique and to my ears beautiful. For $5.99, experiment -- you may just find that you love it too.

B000ASDG9E.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I would like to second this recommendation. I got this when it first came out because I have great respect for Dawn Upshaw, and Alex Ross recommended it on his blog. I sure am grateful that he did. If you have an open mind, Golijov's song cycle is breathtaking. To me, it is an example of the very best of comtemporary music. It uses a traditional form, then blends musical influences from other cultures with fresh rhythmic characteristics, as well as inventive sound textures and edgy harmonic figurations. And of course, the piece would be a complete failure without the absolutely mind-blowing performance by Dawn Upshaw. I think I saw another review that called her a 'musical doppleganger' on this disc, and I can't think of any better way to describe it. She sings in a bunch of different and exotic languages, displays an enormous range, and changes the character of her voice from vicious to sweet to lustful and everything in between. She really is incredible on this album.

As Bunny said, the Berio song cycle is also outstanding, it's just outshined on this recording by Ayre. And it's pretty shocking how traditional Berio sounds after you've just finished listening to Golijov.
biggrin.gif

P.S. I actually paid full price for this is at (I think) B&N, and it was more than worth it. Now that it's available at YM, I would advise not hesitating to snap it up for $6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back