Under-appreciated or little known classical music?
Dec 16, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #257 of 321
S I Taneyev wrote some wonderful symphonies, and if you enjoy Tchaik's 1, 2 3, Glazunov, Balakirev and company, you'll certainly enjoy the two recorded symphonies, 2 & 4. The Chandos recording is probably the best, the Marco Polo has a scrawny orchestra sound and is badly underrehearsed. The last movement of the 2nd is one of those witty pieces with a catchy tune that leaves an indelible impression. (The best recording hasn't been released on CD. It was on an Arabesque LP.)

There's also a wonderful Piano Quintet. The Chant du Monde is fine as is the DG. He wrote quite a bit of chamber music (trios, quartets, etc) that I have yet to explore in its entirety. There also is quite a bit of choral and vocal music. St. John of Damascus is worth a hearing if you're into religious choral music.

Start with the symphonies.

Then, there's A. S. Taneyev, uncle of S.I. There's only one disk on Marco Polo of Symphony 2 and a Suite. If you know Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, there's a big surprise awaiting you.

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #258 of 321
Gorecki - Symphony #3 - Anton Nanut cond. Great I know someone else already mentioned it but it works beyond description - very emotional.

Glazunov - King of the Jews - I've got a Chandos recording Rozhdestvensky conducting, where the baritone's voice seems deep enough to utilize a subwoofer. Again, very beautiful music that's seems influential in every Hollywood film about Christ ever made, although it's not regularly performed.

Tanner - Boy with Goldfish - Holdridge conducting. I'll be shocked if ANYONE else has this one. Early digital but sounds magnificent and the music is folklike. Memorable like show music - I found the tunes in my head for days after the first hearing.

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #259 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Anyone know anything about Sergey Taneyev (1856-1915)? Russian romantic composer student of Tchaikovsky, contemporary with Stravinsky and Catoire.

I bought this CD a few months ago:

4775419.jpg

It is magnificient! You have to like late romantic music of course, but if you do you should appreciate the lyricism -- yet Bach is not forgotten. Pay special attention to the slow movements. The scherzo of the quintet is also delightful. And well, with performers like that...

Dec 24, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #261 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ffodor
I bought this CD a few months ago:

4775419.jpg

It is magnificient! You have to like late romantic music of course, but if you do you should appreciate the lyricism -- yet Bach is not forgotten. Pay special attention to the slow movements. The scherzo of the quintet is also delightful. And well, with performers like that...

The Taneyev arrived and I have to agree with your evaluation. It is a splendid recording, wonderful music, great performances and first rate sonics.

When you look at the musicians, Repin, Gringolts, Pletnev, Harrell, Imai it reads like a dream team for Russian Music.

Jan 16, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #262 of 321
Here's an interesting disc:

172958.JPG

I don't know a whole lot about this, but from what I've read, it's a collection of Eastman-Rochester student contest winners. The contest was to produce "tranquil, yet thoughtful" music. The result is that most pieces sound like derivatives on Barber's "Adagio for Strings" or some-such, but a lot of the music is quite remarkable. Apparently this has been a cult favorite for many years.

A word on Mercury Living Presence sound: I know some don't like it, but I've come to realize that it is quite spectacular if one does not try to reconcile it with realistic sound. It has a dramatic sound signature all its own that is quite enjoyable, just not "realistic" by today's standards.

Jan 16, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #264 of 321
Other underrepresented composers here include the French composers Darius Milhaud and Charles Koechlin. I've been a Milhaud fan for years, and the Naxos recording by Jean-Claude Casadesus has garnered the coveted 10/10. In addition I also picked up this recording of Koechlin's Chamber Music at yourmusic.com. I haven't seen a review of it, but it was recommended by a friend whom I trust. I'll post more about it after I have done some listening.

592602.jpg
B000CQM4NI.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #265 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Other underrepresented composers here include the French composers Darius Milhaud and Charles Koechlin. I've been a Milhaud fan for years, and the Naxos recording by Jean-Claude Casadesus has garnered the coveted 10/10. In addition I also picked up this recording of Koechlin's Chamber Music at yourmusic.com. I haven't seen a review of it, but it was recommended by a friend whom I trust. I'll post more about it after I have done some listening.

592602.jpg
B000CQM4NI.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Bunny, let us know how Casadesus' "Le Boeuf" is. I'm still hoping to find an ideal recording of that piece. Milhaud's own is grimly efficient and metronomic. Mitropoulos' Minnesota recording from the 1940's was fun, except that there's something like a five minute cut, and the playing and recording left something to be desired, anyway. Bernstein's is self-consciously exaggerated, and Nagano's digital recording on Erato a decade or so ago tried to out-Bernstein Bernstein.

Let us know about the Koechlin, too. I have some Koechlin, but I've never quite found myself able to snuggle up to him.

Jan 16, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #266 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
Bunny, let us know how Casadesus' "Le Boeuf" is.

A side topic: I just saw Casadesus conduct the Utah Symphony (2nd row seats), and I now understand how all the Mahler cartoons from Vienna newspapers came to be. Casadesus has so many over-the-top mannerisms and movements that it's difficult to keep from laughing! That's what I imagine Mahler to have been like at the podium.

Casadesus coaxed out a great Ravel's Bolero and Bizet's Symphony, though. He's a solid conductor - just with extremely wild mannerisms.

Jan 16, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #267 of 321
Right now, I am listening to a live 2005 performance of Gounod's ROMEO ET JULIETTE with Villazon and Netrebko. The performance, which is not commerical, is amazing. Both singers are ravishing in their respective roles.

A shame that the major labels aren't more willing to record/issue these performances.

NOTE: I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry. It should have been in the "What Am I Listening to Now."

Jan 16, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #268 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
A side topic: I just saw Casadesus conduct the Utah Symphony (2nd row seats), and I now understand how all the Mahler cartoons from Vienna newspapers came to be. Casadesus has so many over-the-top mannerisms and movements that it's difficult to keep from laughing! That's what I imagine Mahler to have been like at the podium.

Casadesus coaxed out a great Ravel's Bolero and Bizet's Symphony, though. He's a solid conductor - just with extremely wild mannerisms.

That's the beauty of cds sometimes, you don't see the conductor. That's also the problem with them as well, you don't get to see the orchestra.

BTW, Classicstoday just posted their list of top recordings for 2005 and there's a Koechlin recording there as well. That one is not available in the USA yet. It is available at jpc.

2313856.jpg

Jan 26, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #269 of 321
Finally received the Koechlin recording of Chamber Music with Flute from yourmusic and am delighted with it. This is my first experience with Koechlin, but now I'm ordering more of his music. It's just beautiful. If you like Debussy, Satie, Milhaud and other composers of that period then this will suit your tastes to a t.

161954.jpg

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #270 of 321
Thanks keeping this thread alive. I just saw it and have it bookmarked.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back