Under $250 PC solution for Senn 555
Feb 26, 2005 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kerecsen

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have a Senn 555 that I would like to use with a PC. I'm willing to spend at most $250 to turn it into a decent source.

Browsing through the forums it seems I have the following options:
- Getting a (Total) Bithead ($200-280)
- Getting an EMU 404 ($100) and a low-end PPA ($120)
- Getting a cheaper card (chaintech, Live 24 - $30) with a better amp ($200)
- Getting a more expensive card (EMU1212, m-audio audiophile) and a cmoy
- Getting something cheap to output coax-toslink, getting a cheap outboard DAC and a PPA
- Forgetting the whole PC thing and getting a Sony CE595 SACD player ($130) with a low-end PPA ($120)

Are there any options I haven't listed? Which do you think will result in the best system?

Thanks!
Tamas

Feb 27, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 9
I'd go for the 0404 and a nice PIMETA or a cheap PPA. I can assure you that you will be most pleased with the result.

Feb 28, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 9
the man has a Katamari Damacy avatar. He's obviously incredibly cool. Why would you *need* other opinions?

:p

Given that the 555s aren't extremely high-end, and the 1212 compared to the 0404 is definitely a difference you'd want high-end headphones to appreciate, his advice sounds very sensible to me. Your 'phones are mid-end so go for the mid-end card and the mid-end amp...synergy
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
I'd go for the 0404 and a nice PIMETA or a cheap PPA. I can assure you that you will be most pleased with the result.

I'd have to agree with Helter Skelter. I got my 0404 last Friday. Previously I had been using both the M-Audio Revo 7.1 and the Chaintech AV-710. In both of those cases the amp was my Headsave Classic and the cans are HD-555's. Adding the 0404 blew both of those cards out of the water. I really love the sound of the 0404, and though not that experienced I think the Headsave Classic is equivalent to a higher end PIMETA or a low end PPA. I think it's an awesome budget combo that has kept a big grin on my face since it came together.

A_Sr.

Feb 28, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 9
i would also go with the emu0404 and PPA recommendation. IMO, this combo should work well even when you decide to upgrade the headphones.

Mar 1, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter

seconded. or is it: thirded? fourthed? well, i think you have your answer.

btw: headsave is no more. Norm has closed up shop
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
it deserves more
frown.gif
's than that, but i'm tired. those that have classic's are holding onto them with iron fists

also: a "cheap" ppa is not $120 by any means. the cheapest i've seen them go for is $200 or so, i.e. out of your price range if you want to stick with $250 price range. the resounding statement here at headfi is: "can you increase your budget??????????", but i'm sure you'll be happy with what you get for $250, very happy i hope

emu 0404 and pimeta: excellent way to go for the $$$

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Thank you all... I was pleasantly surprised by the resounding nature of the response.

I think I will go fishing in the used amp pool and get something nice in the low hundred $s. What is the word on pimeta vs meta42?

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 9
I would Definitely go 0404(this is key) and any AMP i could afford.

I strongly disagree with alot of people on this forum, the SOURCE is FIRST!!!!. After that even a CMOY will give you decent performance. I use the 595's and love them to no eend, they aren't hard to drive so a PPA isn't NEEDED but doesn't hurt.

I feel a PPA should only be used if you have the diamond buffer add-on, which by your budget, you don't, Get a Pimeta, it will give great sound.

Make the 0404 key to your desicion. Unless you dont' like stereo output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back