Under $100 cans for movies, music from Laptop?
Mar 2, 2003 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

merc

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using a cheap pair of Sony MDR-V100s which have seen better days. So, it is time for some new traveling headphones.

These will be used plugged into the minijack from my laptop for DVD movies and music playback. They should also be closed style so that others on planes and such can't hear what I do.

Any suggestions for a inexpensive yet good sounding headphone?

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Mar 2, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Inexpensive/closed/good sounding is the big tough question of headphonedom. The Senn 202/212 sound very bass-heavy to me, which was disappointing since I was hoping they would be the answer. For movies alone, they would be okay, and the extra bass might be fun for explosions etc. Sony MDR-V6 (and let's all say it together, NOT THE V-600) seems like your winner, if 60-70 bucks is in your price range. Below that, almost all the choices are open or earbuds, all of which will leak sound to some degree. The Philips 820 (<$40) is sometimes called "closed," but it isn't, and it will leak.

UPDATE: Go look at the thread from Steve999 about the Philips HP170. $20 at Target? Closed? Decent for general use? This sounds like it might work.

Mar 2, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 8
the ath-m30 aren't bad below 50$. Better than the senn hd2*2 for me. But the V6 are clearly better. For planes, you could consider the etys er-6 too.

Mar 2, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks Ganchan and 00940! I'll check em out.

What about the MDR-NC20 Noise Canceling Headphones? What do these sound like with and without the noice cancelling circuit?

Anyone use these cans while traveling?

Mar 2, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 8
As for the er-6s, I don't like in-ear type headphones, so they are out...

Mar 2, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Sennheiser PX200s are the way to go; they're closed, a smooth fifty bucks at headphone.com, and have a good sound. A really good sound, in fact, for a fifty dollar headphone. And it's still good unamped.

I'd recommend them - very TINY, they come with a case, and they fold up! Excellent choice for the budget listener with a laptop who wants a combination of quality, portability, and cost. Etys are just too expensive and are very person-dependent.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 3, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 8
I second the vote for the PX200s. I find that they are driven quite nicely from my iBook and reproduce music and DVDs very well. I cannot comment on their in-flight use, but I notice that they isolate pretty well for me. I've not tried them but the PX250s may also be worth looking into.
Bobes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back