Undecided
Feb 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

justinto

New Head-Fier
I am new to this forum and have read posts and reviews for a while. Information here is fantastic.

Yesterday, I went to BB and tried the Sennheiser Momentum over the ear and on the ear in side to side comparisons. There was a difference in the sound quality between the two. I noticed that the over the ear unit slightly better at noise reduction and smoothness in mid and treble; both have very strong bass with the over the ear slightly ahead. The differences many have been due to volume not being exactly the same. I was unsure about which one to buy. BB did not have the on the ear in stock and I did not buy the over the ear. I have three headphones on my watch list: both the Senns as above mentioned and the Beyerdynamic DT1350 which is under $200 now. I have not had the chance to hear it.

I would be using the new phones for jazz, progressive rock (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc.), and classical. I may want to jog with them on as they sound better than the RHA MA750. I have no problem with the RHAs just wanted something different.

My questions: Is the $100 difference between the over the ear and the on the ear Senns worth the money? How do these compare against the DT1350s? Does anyone know if a President's Day sale on the Senns would be worth waiting for?

Justinto

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 7
  I am new to this forum and have read posts and reviews for a while. Information here is fantastic.

Yesterday, I went to BB and tried the Sennheiser Momentum over the ear and on the ear in side to side comparisons. There was a difference in the sound quality between the two. I noticed that the over the ear unit slightly better at noise reduction and smoothness in mid and treble; both have very strong bass with the over the ear slightly ahead. The differences many have been due to volume not being exactly the same. I was unsure about which one to buy. BB did not have the on the ear in stock and I did not buy the over the ear. I have three headphones on my watch list: both the Senns as above mentioned and the Beyerdynamic DT1350 which is under $200 now. I have not had the chance to hear it.

I would be using the new phones for jazz, progressive rock (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc.), and classical. I may want to jog with them on as they sound better than the RHA MA750. I have no problem with the RHAs just wanted something different.

My questions: Is the $100 difference between the over the ear and the on the ear Senns worth the money? How do these compare against the DT1350s? Does anyone know if a President's Day sale on the Senns would be worth waiting for?

Justinto

The difference is most likely worth the money.  I can't tell you about a possible President's Day sale.

Most closed, on-ear headphones are deficient in frequency response.  It's the inability to create a sufficient cavity around the ear, I think, and control the resonances at the same time.  I don't mean that they roll-off in the highs or lows, but that there's some unnatural peaks that are not there with a good quality over-ear (closed or open).  Read some of Tyll's reviews.  It's sort of imbedded in his writings, so you have to hunt for it - but he says the same thing, even while praising the merits of a particular on-ear closed headphone (DT135, Amperior, etc.).

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 7
You heard both, it doesn't seem like the over ear wowed you.

Id go for the Martin Logan Mikros 90 which disposes of the headphones you're considering. Go to the Mikros 90 thread.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 7
dun think u can quite jog with the Momentum ON ear or the Mikros90...
if u must jog with one, the dt1350 is your best bet, but this calipers-styled can clamps hard. ;P
i sold it "twice"...t50p n 1350...but the sound of the 1350 is almost like the Mikros...
its clear, its got bassssss...

i would still recommend going over to the Mikros90 thread...its a fenomenal can at less than 90bucks.
some got it for lesser...

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Thank you all for your input. I decided to buy the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and got a great price from Amazon yesterday. They had two left. I will report my review after I had a chance to use them for a while.

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 7
  Thank you all for your input. I decided to buy the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and got a great price from Amazon yesterday. They had two left. I will report my review after I had a chance to use them for a while.

i pray u are NOT bald...dun have curly hair...
and have a strong skull..lolz. 
ok..just teasing, enjoy yor new can bro !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back