Undecided - Gaming & Movies/Music headphones
Dec 23, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #61 of 79
I feel that detail is very important in FPS gaming. The ability to hear the slightest sound from an enemy makes a big difference. This depends a lot on the games audio, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is, I've played a lot of FPS's on both the DT880's and AD700's, and concluded that the AD700's just get me more frags and give me more of an advantage than the DT880's.
Also the super detail in the DT880's just isn't utilised in gaming audio.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #62 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel that detail is very important in FPS gaming. The ability to hear the slightest movement from an enemy makes a big difference.

That'll be more due to volume and not sound separation.
Also I've played games with crap gaming audio (Call of Duty 4) and fantastic gaming audio (Arma, Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2; made by the same Black Sand Studios) so I know what the ends of the spectrum are.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #63 of 79
Not necessarily. Increasing the volume also increases the ambient noise. Having greater detail enables one to not only identify the sound, but also differentiate the sound from the others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That'll be more due to volume and not sound separation.
Also I've played games with crap gaming audio (Call of Duty 4) and fantastic gaming audio (Arma, Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2; made by the same Black Sand Studios) so I know what the ends of the spectrum are.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #64 of 79
O lawd. You guys could go on all day with this crap, eh? Any headphone is substantial enough to provide you with the "headphone advantage." Saying a certain pair of headphones gives you more frags and an advantage in gaming is just ridiculous IMO.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #65 of 79
sigh.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discobiscuits /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O lawd. You guys could go on all day with this crap, eh? Any headphone is substantial enough to provide you with the "headphone advantage." Saying a certain pair of headphones gives you more frags and an advantage in gaming is just ridiculous IMO.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #66 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Discobiscuits /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what......
confused_face(1).gif

You don't game do you?

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #67 of 79
Prolly doesnt if he thinks that.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #68 of 79
I own the ATH-AD900 headphones and I have to say I'm dissapointed with it's ability to pinpoint the sound's location.

The reason I bought them was because I was under the impression that the ATH-AD900 were an improved version of the ATH-AD700, a pair of headphones which are hauled as one of the best gaming headphones on the market, but sadly, I have to disagree.

Don't get me wrong. These are awesome headphones. They are a very fun sounding headphones with a large soundstage, nice amount of detail, and fast sound. The only thing that could be a bit better, are it's 3D imaging qualities. The positioning of sound seems to a little chaotic.

I'm looking for a replacement right now for gaming headphones and I'm considering the K701, K601 and DT880. I just don't know if my Yamaha RX-V663 receiver can drive them to satisfactory levels.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATHFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the ATH-AD900 headphones and I have to say I'm dissapointed with it's ability to pinpoint the sound's location.

The reason I bought them was because I was under the impression that the ATH-AD900 were an improved version of the ATH-AD700, a pair of headphones which are hauled as one of the best gaming headphones on the market, but sadly, I have to disagree.

Don't get me wrong. These are awesome headphones. They are a very fun sounding headphones with a large soundstage, nice amount of detail, and fast sound. The only thing that could be a bit better, are it's 3D imaging qualities. The positioning of sound seems to a little chaotic.

I'm looking for a replacement right now for gaming headphones and I'm considering the K701, K601 and DT880. I just don't know if my Yamaha RX-V663 receiver can drive them to satisfactory levels.

I already told you yes.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #71 of 79
northernsound.net is the link athfan.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #72 of 79
Quote:

The 880's have better positioning then the AD700's. And detail is very important for FPS. Both have about equal soundstage.

The 880's smear a bit..The fastest trasient among dynamic cans is probably the dt48s or SA5000, at least for under a grand. I wrote a long comparison between the 880s and sa5000. The quality of the seperation is about equal, but the 880s seperation seems to really grab your attention..Like making a clean cut..The 48s ups the ante by isolating the sounds to a point where one song sounds like 3 or 4 playing all at once. It can be destracting at times, minus the 3D imaging, sound stage, the dt48's are much more detailed in the midrange, and more detailed altogether..They also make the 880s sound a lil veiled. But the imaging, is very 2D with a closterphobic sound stage.. They are still my fav cans for serious play though..And SC helps with the 3D imaging and bigger soundstage. For FPSers I 'd recommend the MDR F1 over the 880s.. The left to right depth and length is amazing.. And its spatial ability is wonderful. They would be well suited for bi aural recordings.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #73 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already told you yes.

Yes, you did. Thanks for helping me out. I'm just still a little reluctant to make the decision, but I think I'll be going for the DT880.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
northernsound.net is the link athfan.

I don't think that the link was meant for me. I live in the Netherlands and can't order from that site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 880's smear a bit..The fastest trasient among dynamic cans is probably the dt48s or SA5000, at least for under a grand. I wrote a long comparison between the 880s and sa5000. The quality of the seperation is about equal, but the 880s seperation seems to really grab your attention..Like making a clean cut..The 48s ups the ante by isolating the sounds to a point where one song sounds like 3 or 4 playing all at once. It can be destracting at times, minus the 3D imaging, sound stage, the dt48's are much more detailed in the midrange, and more detailed altogether..They also make the 880s sound a lil veiled. But the imaging, is very 2D with a closterphobic sound stage.. They are still my fav cans for serious play though..And SC helps with the 3D imaging and bigger soundstage. For FPSers I 'd recommend the MDR F1 over the 880s.. The left to right depth and length is amazing.. And its spatial ability is wonderful. They would be well suited for bi aural recordings.

Very helpful comparison. Thanks!
atsmile.gif
It made me more confident about the DT880 being the right headphones for me.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #75 of 79
Quote:

I disagree. The 880's have great front and back extension/soundstage. The only cans that i've heard that do it better for gaming, are the AKG K601's The AD700s are good gaming headphones. But they do nothing great imo. And they have very little bass, and everything sound over all thin. The DT880's have more detail, and sound much more full.

I have to agree with Foehammer here, I use my 880s for gaming and they're great and light on my hears given my cute beyond amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back