Undecided - Gaming & Movies/Music headphones
Dec 7, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 79
Ive used the 701s, the w5000s and the ad700s.

I would pick the ad700s with a small amp over my other phones for gaming any day, and I do, pretty much every day.

If you every want to play css with a Gun Game pro, lemme know :p.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #17 of 79
I dont know how the other headphoens sound as I only actually owned two pairs of reail headphones. I used own some AD700 for a while and they did very well in gaming . The only thing about them is they lack much bass and leaked sound. They how ever have a big soundstage. Most times on my prelude when I had it.

I usually had it config as 2.1 and with The THX control with speaker angel setting for 90 degrees since headphone mode and CMSS3D headphone ruin the sound.While CMSS off and because of the sound imaging I was able to hear my surroundings without the use of Cms. Even tho CMSS spreaded out the sound .

I did replace them later on with my Current Ultrasone HFI-780 because of the leaking part and the lack of bass. I do enjoy these HFI-780 for gaming and I also enjoyed the AD700 for gaming so IMO I would suggest one of these Two.

But I really suggest you listen to all to find which one sound good to you.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #18 of 79
Yes, in a gaming aspect, the AD700's are better gaming cans than the DT880. It's just got a much better 'true' soundstage unlike the DT880.

So yeah, I've kept my AD700's for gaming.

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #19 of 79
Since my budget is like 600$ I am interested in getting something much better than my current HD555, I mean, you recommend AD700 but I see these as a 100/150$ cans so maybe they are not that good compared to my Sennheiser. It just might be me.

From kool_bubba_ice's list I see DT880 as an overall winner. Have you ever listened to AD series?

Thank you all.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #20 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by wizia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Iceclass, could you give me your impressions about the MDR-F1?

Super light, comfortable to wear with a large airy soundstage and well defined bass for an open can.
I find the inherent sense of space to be a great match with gaming and movies....and a LOT of music too.

As long as you are operating in a relatively quiet environment, the F1s are great cans.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 79
I game with my JVC/Victor HP-DX1000 and it plays amazingly well for both gaming and music. Of course I turn off CMS-SS when listening to music. Don't evil eye me yo. 0_
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #22 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I game with my JVC/Victor HP-DX1000 and it plays amazingly well for both gaming and music. Of course I turn off CMS-SS when listening to music. Don't evil eye me yo. 0_
biggrin.gif

but those are 1000$
redface.gif

as for the open/closed aspect, it doesnt matter, not gonna atend any LAN, just home gaming
popcorn.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 79
Quote:

Since my budget is like 600$ I am interested in getting something much better than my current HD555, I mean, you recommend AD700 but I see these as a 100/150$ cans so maybe they are not that good compared to my Sennheiser. It just might be me.

From kool_bubba_ice's list I see DT880 as an overall winner. Have you ever listened to AD series?

Thank you all.

No. But a member said the 700's give a bigger sound stage.. Might be so. I found the 880's to have a very forward presentation..And gave the best SS illusion I heard from any stereo headphone. That includes the 701's. The 880's have better clarity and detail then the 700's..Very authoritative bass..Like it has a life of it's.. They are a bit treble heavy, bright, and airy.. They retail for 479.00. So, getting then for under 300 is a good deal.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #25 of 79
I would say soundstage doesn't matter as much as the actual software simulating positional audio. Since you only have one speaker per ear, no matter how much 'soundstage' the headphone has nothing will really matter if the output doesn't emulate position properly. For example, dolby headphone works just fine on my pair of Grado HPs.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #26 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say soundstage doesn't matter as much as the actual software simulating positional audio. Since you only have one speaker per ear, no matter how much 'soundstage' the headphone has nothing will really matter if the output doesn't emulate position properly. For example, dolby headphone works just fine on my pair of Grado HPs.

Yet, for positional audio, if choosing between relying on the software versus the software and sound stage, it seems like it would be desirable or even advantageous to rely on both. I don't game and no longer use this type of simulation software.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #27 of 79
Well, for example I enabled the 'headphone' profile in L4D, and I think positional audio is just fine. I may be missing out, though.

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #28 of 79
Quote:

More expensive =/= better. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you are getting more just for paying more. The AD700 cost about $100 but its sound quality is good enough to match blades with phones twice or even three times its price. It's certainly an improvement from the HD555 in most ways, for music, gaming or movies.

What type of music do you listen to anyway? Be warned that the DT880 is not for everyone and you might find them to be a bit too analytical and/or bright.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #29 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More expensive =/= better. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you are getting more just for paying more. The AD700 cost about $100 but its sound quality is good enough to match blades with phones twice or even three times its price. It's certainly an improvement from the HD555 in most ways, for music, gaming or movies.

What type of music do you listen to anyway? Be warned that the DT880 is not for everyone and you might find them to be a bit too analytical and/or bright.

Lets talk retail value here..If gives a more realistic approach to the more expensive equals better argument. The AD700's are 200.00 dollar headphones on AC. The 880's are 479.00. The 880's are better in many ways, but it comes down to preference a lot of the time. I might prefer my 600 headphone over a 2,000 headphone, but doesn't make my headphones better..For 600 he could get AT's flagship air AD2000. Which are better then the AD700's..3X's better? Unlikly..But if the OP wants to get a great 600 dollar headphone thats worth the price, I don't think he should be talked out of it. The Ultrasone 900/AKG 701/Ultrasone 750/D5000 are all great cans, and like the 700's can be had for less then retail.

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #30 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I listen to all kind of music, don't really have preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back