Uncolored sounding, but still musical, portable IEM (for any price)
Jul 13, 2011 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

azmodien

New Head-Fier
Over the past couple of years, I have become very OCD when it comes to EQ and tone. I was hoping there would be at most, two or three models of IEMs that everyone agreed on, but there seems to be even more division than with full size cans. Some people want detail, others want bass. I only care about the overall realism of the sound.

I want an IEM that sounds dead neutral but does not necessarily have to measure that way. I should not be able to detect any "bass humps"or "treble peaks", not "laid-back" "lush" or "lean in character". I want to listen to music and not be distracted by any influence of the playback equipment, or as close to that as I can get. I don't care about detail, only whether or not the sound is favoring certain frequencies too heavily. If I had to compromise, I would rather land on the warm side of neutral than be too bright since they will be so deep in the ear canal.

Here is a list of the models that get thrown around a lot in discussion. Please eliminate the ones that you think are not worthy. I don't necessarily have a budget, but it would be nice to spend $500 instead of $1200 if I can get away with it.

The Cream:

Westone ES5 (some say it slightly tends toward brightness)
Ultimate Ears In Ear Reference Monitors (TOO flat maybe?)
JVC/Victor FX700
Westone 4
1964-Q

Others that sound intriguing:

Sony EX1000, EX600
EarSonics SM3 
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
Monster Turbine: Miles Davis Tribute
HiFiMan RE-262
HiFIMan RE0

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 15
How portable will they be? Are you really going to take $1200 iems out and about with you?
I would go with the relatively cheap re0s, and scratch off the miles davis from your list since theyre not exactly flat and their timbre isnt the most realistic.

So re0 for portability out and about (or some etys..), and splurge the rest!

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 15
There's not much risk of them getting stolen unless I forgot them somewhere. No mugger would ever believe headphones existed that cost that much. But I would rather not spend a lot of money unless they were special.

As far as the Etys, I tried the HF5 and didn't like them. Good detail but a little bit too bright overall. So far, nothing I have heard beats my KOSS Portapros, even though I know those are not exactly hi-fi.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 15
Look at the DBA-02 or JH-13. HiFiMan RE-262 also gets my vote.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 15
I've settled on the GR10. Settled is always relative but they've held on the longest.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 15
Lol, you people really gotta give it up with fancy adjectives. Not colored but musical. What does that even mean? Laid back, lean in, lush. None of this helps describe sound.

What you need to say is you want a headphone that sounds just right, where you don't need to use the EQ to supress any frequencies that are too prominent. And even then, this is completely subjective!

All I can give you input on are the JH16. IMHO the JH16s are the most accurate IEMs I've heard to date, but they have a little too much bass to be called neutral. There is definitely an audible hump in the 50-60Hz range. Having said that, the mids and treble is absolutely spot on, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the JH13s. Jerry Harvey himself stated that the JH13 are the most neutral and accurate IEM he's ever designed, and if everything else is the same as the JH16 minus the additional 2 low drivers, I would say he's correct!

Another reason why I would choose JH over Westone or UE is their 2 year warranty (as opposed to 1 year). IMO when you're spending this much money, you should consider these things. Nonetheless the ES5 or the UERM should both be a hell of a good IEM.

Also if you want to keep the price low, I think everyone agrees that there is hardly a better value than the JH5.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Lol, you people really gotta give it up with fancy adjectives. Not colored but musical. What does that even mean? Laid back, lean in, lush. None of this helps describe sound.

Firstly, laid back and lush were examples of fancy adjectives I am NOT interested in, made by "you people". Secondly, non-colored but musical is not nearly as vague a descriptor. Colorations can be measured and heard quite clearly, but earphones that are designed to give a perfectly flat response sometimes end up being no good for music listening because they suck the soul right out of the sound entirely.

So therefore I was hoping I could find a compromise where the sound is free of obvious colorations, but can also be used for music listening and not just sound mixing.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 15
UM3X would be a very practical choice.  Balanced and neutral but still has some punch to it and instrument separation as good as JH13 and JH16.  Very refined sounding as well, efficient, no hiss, great ergonomics.  Truly a great IEM!

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Firstly, laid back and lush were examples of fancy adjectives I am NOT interested in, made by "you people". Secondly, non-colored but musical is not nearly as vague a descriptor. Colorations can be measured and heard quite clearly, but earphones that are designed to give a perfectly flat response sometimes end up being no good for music listening because they suck the soul right out of the sound entirely.

So therefore I was hoping I could find a compromise where the sound is free of obvious colorations, but can also be used for music listening and not just sound mixing.

Doesn't matter if you did or did not want those adjectives. Those words mean nothing when it comes to sound. The only two words that describe sound are "gain" and "loss" when referring to a specific frequency range (what you so call "colorations"). Wanting an IEM that sounds dead neutral but doesn't measure that way is an oxymoron, and "musical" is a completely subjective adjective.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 15
Out of the ones you listed, I've heard:

Ultimate Ears In Ear Reference Monitors (demo version)
JVC/Victor FX700
Westone 4
Sony EX1000, EX600
EarSonics SM3

To my ears the UERM and W4 are the most neutral sounding among these, with the UERM taking the cake and the W4 being only a tad warmish in comparison.

The EX1000 are maybe a bit less neutral than the UERM and W4, but sound more realistic in my book (probably due to exceptional soundstage and dynamics)

The EX600 sound only slightly worse than the EX1000 and are still worth a recommendation, which makes them by far the best bang/buck out of these.

I would eliminate the FX700 and SM3 for being the least neutral in this group.

Good luck with your quest!
smile_phones.gif

Edit: just realized I've also heard the RE0, but they failed to impress me in any way.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 15
Of the in ears I've heard, my vote would have to go to the Westone 4 or EX1000, based on what it is you're after. All others I've encountered do present a bias somewhere within the spectrum, ranging from slight to heavy.

Of the ones you listed, and the ones I've heard from amongst those:
  1. FX700: the bass may be a bit too much for you, if it's "dead neutral", or as close to it as possible, that you're after.
  2. Monster series: whether it's the gold, copper, or even MDT's, they're definitely bass-heavy in ears. They're FAR from 'dead neutral' IMO, though of the 3, the MDT is certainly the most balanced to my ears.
  3. SM3: Infamously mid-centric, which, in my case, was what drew me in.

The 2 aforementioned (W4/EX1000), on the other hand, are the exceptions. To my ears, either one reproduces the sound as natural as can be, and certainly don't "suck the soul right out of the sound" as you mentioned. I haven't heard the EX600, but it receives just as much praise as any other top tier, so you may want to look further into it as well. Nevertheless, I really don't see how you can go wrong with either one, but of course, this is merely my opinion. All the best my friend!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back