Unchained Melody - Your favorite version/recording
Dec 5, 2006 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Advil

1000+ Head-Fier
I've recently become obsessed with Unchained Melody, there are SO many versions and I keep going through the stupid iTunes music store and listening to all of them. I've got 10 versions of it already and I still want more!

What's your favorite recording or version of this song?

Provide links if you can!

So far I'm loving Rockapella doing it, the a'cappella feeling really adds to it, it's amazing!

I also have a great version of an all male choir performing it, it's QUITE good and very different. It's the Fron Male Voice Choir.

And Clay Aikens version is just wow too.

As I've said.. I'm obsessed!

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 9
Righteous Brothers

Vito

Dec 5, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Dec 5, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Here's a version that's somewhat off the beaten path but well worth checking out:

Group: Power Tools
Album: Strange Meeting
Year released:1987
Labels: CD Antilles 422-842648-2; CD Polygram 842648

Personnel: Ronald Shannon Jackson - drums; Melvin Gibbs - electric bass; Bill Frisell - electric guitar

Frisell is truly excellent on this track. Plus the rest of the ablum isn't too shabby.

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Advil says:
Quote:

I've got 10 versions of it already and I still want more!

You need an intervention!

I found that I had 4 versions of Unchained Melody. That is 3 more than I thought prior to the search.

In first place are the Righteous Brothers. They were neither righteous nor brothers, but they combined a well balanced presentation of sugar n' shlock with the sound of the 60's. This is my fav.

In second place is Pearl Jam. Not very good, but better than the others.

In third place is Peter Moon Band. Bad.

In last place, is Les Baxter. This is a total train wreck. This is almost so bad that its good, but not quite.

Quote:

And Clay Aikens version is just wow too.

You need an intervention!
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 9
Righteous Brothers

I did the same thing with "House of the Rising Sun" renditions a few years ago. I think I found 21. Even Andy (Of Mayberry) Griffith has recorded it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back