unamped: senn hd595, audiotechnica ad900, beyerdynamic dt880
Apr 21, 2009 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

amanojakumo

New Head-Fier
Which would be your choice of these 3 (unamped):

sennheiser hd595
beyerdynamic dt880 32ohm
audiotechnica ad900

Music would be mostly electronic, but I really listen to a wide variety. MP3's at high bitrate. Zune would be the source.

I've spent tons of time searching on here, but opinions seem to be so conflicting. The best headphones I've heard currently are sennheiser hd485s, so that's really all I'm looking to beat. I like the sennheiser sound, I like bass, and I don't like harsh highs. Any thoughts? I'm open to suggestions, but I don't want to go over $300 or have to use an amp.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by amanojakumo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which would be your choice of these 3 (unamped):

sennheiser hd595
ultrasone hfi780
audiotechnica ad900

Music would be mostly electronic, but I really listen to a wide variety. MP3's at high bitrate. Zune would be the source.

I've spent tons of time searching on here, but opinions seem to be so conflicting. The best headphones I've heard currently are sennheiser hd485s, so that's really all I'm looking to beat. I like the sennheiser sound, I like bass, and I don't like harsh highs. Any thoughts? I'm open to suggestions, but I don't want to go over $300 or have to use an amp.

If you dont like metallic, harsh highs and / or sibilance you dont want the Ultrasone. If you like the Senn sound the 595 is a very underrated headphone, IMO. I am no fan of the AD900 either but I would take them over the Ultrasone.

If you are looking to go unamped the Alessandro MS1 is my favorite; especially if you switch to modded Senn HD414 pads.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 18
Thank you for your input. I know you have alot of choices in newbie posts to answer and I appreciate that you answered mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I can definitely forget about the ultrasone then. I feel like I'm very sensitive to harsh highs & sibilance. Not a pleasing sound to me. If it's even slightly noticeable, it would probably bother me.

The senn hd595 were what I was originally leaning towards, but it seemed like so many comments I read were hating on them. Maybe those people just weren't fans of the sennheiser sound.

I never considered the Alessandro MS1, but I will definitely start doing some searches on them.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 18
Well, I just tried out the AD700s today, straight from my Zune, and for the price those things are great. The comfort is unbelievable, too. If the AD900 is just an improved AD700 then they are certainly a good option, but the AD700s from my experience are bass-light. Superb detail, sound stage, and overall very nice-sounding IMO, but I'm not sure that the AD7/900s will work for you.

If you want something heavier on the bass, maybe consider DT770-80s?

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 18
Wow, didn't expect so many replies. Thanks for everyone's input. I updated thread title to include my current considerations.

I'm pretty interested in the beyerdynamic dt880 now, but it would have to be the 32ohm version and it would be run unamped. I tried doing some searches, but I couldn't find too much specific information related to running the 32 ohm version unamped. Anyone have experience?

I'm also still considering the sennheiser hd595. There's just so much hate towards them from people's comments, that I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. They feel like a safe bet because I like the sennheiser hd485s that I have, but it's hard to ignore some of the venom people have towards these.

I'm kind of shying away from the audiotechnica ad900. There's been some recommendations for them, but a weakness in the bass area keeps coming up and I'd definitely want solid bass.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 18
The 32ohm DT880 would be driven better due to it's lower impedance, but you could always pick up an amp and got the 250ohm Consumer DT880. I have the Consumer and have heard the 32ohm one. The sound between the 32ohm/250ohm is big IMO. I think the Consumer DT880 sounds fine out of a Zune, but an amp would bring out more of what it could truly do.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 18
I think you already know what you want from your first post and were just looking for validation. There are a lot experts on here (and I mean that without sarcasm) but listening to music is very subjective, there are no absolutes. If there were there would be a lot of companies out of business.

You said you like the Sennheiser sound signature so there you go, get the 595's. I was in the same boat as yourself a couple of weeks ago and after much research got the 595's. TBH my choice was swayed by my enjoyment of the Sennheiser sound signature. I won't lie and said I have heard auditioned every brand out there but as I live in the ass end of the UK my opportunities are limited.

I am delighted with the 595's I use them with an old iPod loaded with lossless files. I am sure the 595's will grow with me as I get more into this. I intend to get a LOD and decent amp in the future and am looking forward to it but for now am more than happy with the 595's.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by amanojakumo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your input. I know you have alot of choices in newbie posts to answer and I appreciate that you answered mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I can definitely forget about the ultrasone then. I feel like I'm very sensitive to harsh highs & sibilance. Not a pleasing sound to me. If it's even slightly noticeable, it would probably bother me.

The senn hd595 were what I was originally leaning towards, but it seemed like so many comments I read were hating on them. Maybe those people just weren't fans of the sennheiser sound.

I never considered the Alessandro MS1, but I will definitely start doing some searches on them.

If you are sensitive to harsh highs do yourself a favour and don't buy DT880. They are considered to be neutral cans but IMO they are more on the bright side (even more than AKG K701).

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are sensitive to harsh highs do yourself a favour and don't buy DT880. They are considered to be neutral cans but IMO they are more on the bright side (even more than AKG K701).

I wouldn't call them bright. They just have a VERY sparkly treble.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree the dt880 can definitely be bright .... and sibilant. I have owned both versions of the 880 and the 880 emphasizes the treble to much for me to deal with. Like you stated, some call the 880 neutral, but they are not neutral in the treble frequencies.

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 18
Thanks to everyone, this is definitely the kind of information I was looking for.

I think I've been going about this all wrong. I've been looking for the best unamped headphone when I should be looking for the headphone that doesn't have a quality I don't like, ie. harsh highs/brightness.

As I do more and more research on this site I'm starting to get the feeling:

[us dollars]

<$100
low fi land

>$100, <$300
mid fi land, some sacrifice must be accepted

>$300 + amp
hi fi land, pick your preferred sound signature

I have much to ponder.

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 18
Electronica silverback here.
cool.gif

The DT880 is a solid performer for electronica, and it works at least acceptable unamped.

I principally support the MS1 recommendation (best bang for the buck available), but you got to to like that "bang directly onto the eardrums" presentation. Highly moddable in that respect though...

Keep away from the HD595, they are dull and boring with electronica. They may make sense for singer/songwriter stuff, but...

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't call them bright. They just have a VERY sparkly treble.

In the case of my consumer edition DT770s, the treble is very pleasant at reasonable volumes but when I turn it up it just gets really fatiguing and unenjoyable. If you like to crank the volume up, the DT770 2005 is probably not for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back