Unamped Beyerdymanic DT-770s or ATH M50s?
Jun 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Captain Proton

New Head-Fier
Hi, after years of using a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s which although sound really good for their price, I'm now looking to purchase my first pair of good headphones in the $100 to $200 price range.

I've heard good things about both the ATH M50s and the Beyerdymanic DT-770s and noticed they're often compared against each other. These both have features I'm looking for within my budget, but can't decide which one to get and was hoping to get some advice on which would be the better value.

I listen to mostly classical, jazz and music with vocals like opera. Open backed headphones aren't an option since where I'll be using them gets noisy a lot. The source these headphones will mostly use is my iPhone and laptop. Ideally, I'd rather not get an amp unless it makes a significant difference in sound quality. These headphones will also be worn for long periods of time, so comfort is important.

At $179, the 32 Ohm DT-770s are more expensive than the $119 ATH M50s but often read people prefer them to the M50s.

Which one of these would you recommend, or maybe another pair entirely?

Any help is really appreciated, thanks guys. 
smile_phones.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 2
  Hi, after years of using a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s which although sound really good for their price, I'm now looking to purchase my first pair of good headphones in the $100 to $200 price range.

I've heard good things about both the ATH M50s and the Beyerdymanic DT-770s and noticed they're often compared against each other. These both have features I'm looking for within my budget, but can't decide which one to get and was hoping to get some advice on which would be the better value.

I listen to mostly classical, jazz and music with vocals like opera. Open backed headphones aren't an option since where I'll be using them gets noisy a lot. The source these headphones will mostly use is my iPhone and laptop. Ideally, I'd rather not get an amp unless it makes a significant difference in sound quality. These headphones will also be worn for long periods of time, so comfort is important.

At $179, the 32 Ohm DT-770s are more expensive than the $119 ATH M50s but often read people prefer them to the M50s.

Which one of these would you recommend, or maybe another pair entirely?

Any help is really appreciated, thanks guys. 
smile_phones.gif

Hmmmmm,

I have both and I think they are really good for most modern music genres, I am not so sure how they fare with classic.

Generally I find the DT770 to be better, larger soundstage and way more comfortable.

I have the DT770 at home and am in the office right now, so can't do a comparison. However from memory the DT770 would be my preference between the two if you listen to classic. 

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back