Unable to find good bass. Is it out of the sub 400 price range?
Apr 24, 2018 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

thespeakerbox

100+ Head-Fier
I am unable to get what I would describe as quality bass from the cans ive tried so far.

What I'm looking for (non-audiophile terminology): Thick & Clean for the sub bass (I dont expect tightness and expect hear some minimal distortion or "rumble") midbass - tighter with some bounce? or recovery? From what I heard so far, things just seem "muddy" and all over the place. There doesnt seem to be much distinction low range? I hope this make sense.

Here's what ive owned:

Fostex Th-x00s
Fostex T50rps MK3 on non-stock pads
Fidelio X2s
DT770s
ATH M50X

Everythings powered by a schiit stack and streamed over Tidal.

Other than specific headphone recommendations, am I looking into the wrong types of cans total? Any direction guidance is helpful!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 7
IEMs will give you an ultra deep and pretty clean bass at less than 50 USD. Creative EP630 for example or Sennheiser CX300 II as well

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Find yourself a pair of M-Audio Q40. Trust me, hearing is believing. In my short time, I've found nothing that compares. Just be prepared for a very closed in sound

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 7
You've come close. I think the best headphone for used is a used ZMF Vibro MKII, which is always under $400. I have the ZMF Blackwood which is a slightly improved version of that, and the bass curbstomps most sub $1000 headphones with ease (and probably curbstomps any dynamic headphone bass). You definitely want a planar.

As a bonus, the Vibro MKII should provide a great all around listening experience.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 7
You were almost there!
The TH-X00's stock earpads really hold them back from greatness. Get a pair of the Dekoni Hybrid pads and attenuation rings from Massdrop the next time they become available.
They pretty much transform the TH-X00 and give it some of the thickest, deepest (but not the tightest or cleanest) bass of any headphone at any price.
If amazing deep bass is what you're primarily after, you can't do much better than these. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back