Ummm... appliance-fi?
Jan 24, 2007 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gmoffatt

100+ Head-Fier
Does anybody know of a good internet source for information about major kitchen appliances? We need the triumvirate (stove, fridge, dishwasher) and there seems to be little out there in terms of independent opinion on quality, reliability, etc.

Is there a Head-fi for appliances?? Any of you guys have opinions on them? Brands you like?

We're basically looking at "mid-range" consumer-level stuff. Leaning towards a gas stove at this point
biggrin.gif

Thanks!!
Greg

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 8
honestly, i would go to the nearest big box store like home depot or best buy and get a deal that includes installation. if you get an appliance on your own, paying for installation (and removal of the old junk) might cost more than the appliance!

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 8
Recent experiences would force me to suggest staying well away from Whirlpool appliances. 5 new fridges, three stoves and 6 repairs on a washer within a year. The only appliance out of the stove, fridge, washer and dryer that has been without incident (touch wood) has been the dryer.

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 8
GE is a beast. never craps out. Amana is fickle, either it craps in the 1st week, or you got a good one that will last forever.

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks guys, I think I've generally heard good things about GE. On the installation: they'll take your old ones away? Didn't know that!

GV: Yipes! Thanks for the heads-up!

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 8
I dunno ifyou get "meile" appliences in the states but i have their washing machine and fridge freezer - 15 yr warrenty on parts and labour and my parents 20yr old meile washing machine and dishwasher are still working perfectly. They are quite pricy but worth it in the long run.

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 8
We use a lot of GE appliances in our apartments. Generally, they hold up to a lot of abuse, clean up well and keep working. Come to think of it, we've got GE refrigerators in the office, too. Those take a pretty good beating and I haven't seen the repairman yet.

Also, gas stoves are the way to go. I much prefer gas for cooking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back