Umbrella-Fi!
Oct 13, 2008 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tennisplyr3

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm tired of all of the cheap umbrellas out there that break really easily, that aren't large enough to keep you very dry during heavy rain storms, and that aren't compact enough. I did a search for past topics, and it looks like we don't have an umbrella-fi!

So I'm looking for an umbrella that folds up enough to fit into a backpack (the handle can protrude through the backpack a little -- I don't mind). It must open to a diameter greater than 36 inches (compact, everyday umbrellas), preferably at least 48 inches (the bigger, the better), so that it'll keep me dry during downpours. It should also be reasonably light and durable, so it doesn't break or invert itself when it's windy.

I did a bit of searching, and I found some ridiculously expensive models of umbrellas, but I don't want to spend more than $50 for it. But if it's a really good one, I suppose i can spend up at $100 for it.

So, any takers?
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 17
I spent eight years in the Pacific Northwest. Saw a little bit of rain during that time, as well.

A month into my first winter there, I gave up on umbrellas. Too many were destroyed by the wind, or ineffective because wind was blowing rain sideways.

So I went with a good Gore-Tex rain jacket and waterproof shoes. You can find a nice jacket over at REI (REI: Outdoor Gear, Equipment & Clothing for Camping, Hiking, Cycling, Fitness, Kayaking, Canoeing and More), and they run regular sales, as well.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplyr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's huge! I don't want any insignias visible on the umbrella though. Just plain color(s) would be fine...

Bigger is better, just ask any lady. Large size is good when you have more than one person, but with the large size you need to get the folding unit.

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 17
Yeah, I was just wondering if there were any units that were fold-able (like a compact umbrella) that have at least a 48" canopy and is wind resistant without any insignias. <$50 is preferable, but I can go as high as $100. I handle umbrellas pretty well, so I'd rather get a good one that lasts over a rain coat.

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 17
I like Fulton umbrellas from the UK, a country that knows a thing or two about rain. They have an ultra-compact one that weighs a mere 125g, but opens to 33 inches. It is so small you can just pack it anywhere and just forget about it until it actually rains. San Francisco is quite windy, and it survived so far (I bought it a year ago).

For the absolute best in umbrellas, try the ones from Adeney Swaine & Brigg in London. They have some with silk canopies for the ultimate in luxury.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 17
Yeah, I highly recommend the Fulton ones.
I have an ultra compact one, which fit in the pocket on my jacket. Great when you get surprised by rain when not expecting it.

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 17
The fact is, when it comes to umbrellas, there is only one.

Senz

Features? Automatic repositioning according to wind direction. Cannot be inverted. Rated to withstand 100km/h winds (but youtube videos showing 130+, see below).

Don't believe me? See for yourself.

original wind tunnel testing
the hurricane machine

Insert random senz youtube video here. They're all awesome.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 17
I got this shedrain umbrella at EMS, and i highly recommend it (lightweight and compact, won't invert, fiberglass frame). It's a little smaller than what you are looking for, but they have others also: here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back