UM56 Question
Jan 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rtimmel

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of silicone UM56's coupled with my UM3X IEMs. I love them but they do not fit very tight. Sometimes the the tips stay in my ear when I pull the IEMs, which is no big deal because of the swizzle stick, but twice one has fallen off as I was putting them in. Luckily I found the dropped tip both times but I fear that my luck will run out someday. Any ideas on how I can tighten them? I was thinking a tiny drop of bathroom silicone at the base where the earpiece hits the IEM might be enough to hold them on yet still allow them to be removed when needed.

Any thoughts?

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rtimmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of silicone UM56's coupled with my UM3X IEMs. I love them but they do not fit very tight. Sometimes the the tips stay in my ear when I pull the IEMs, which is no big deal because of the swizzle stick, but twice one has fallen off as I was putting them in. Luckily I found the dropped tip both times but I fear that my luck will run out someday. Any ideas on how I can tighten them? I was thinking a tiny drop of bathroom silicone at the base where the earpiece hits the IEM might be enough to hold them on yet still allow them to be removed when needed.

Any thoughts?

Send it back to Westone, my UM56 fits perfectly.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 5
I have this same problem with my Westone 3s. It's due to the lack of a ridge on the nozzles, which the Shure SE530s have. The SE530's ridges help grip the tips and keep them from moving.

I've actually lost two UM-56 tips two different times when picking up my W3s or taking them out of the case because the tips slid to the edges of the nozzles and flew off without me noticing. My tips seem to slide even more over time, due to my constant adjustment and rotating of the tips, which seems to stretch the openings.

If anyone else has ideas for how to fix this that doesn't involve permanently altering the IEM and therefore voiding the warranty, I'd like to know too. If this is a bigger concern than the warranty for you, you can always have notches superglued to the nozzles. Otherwise, it seems like the only solution is to be very careful when handling your Um3x and keep pushing the tips down to the base.

Hopefully Westone will start putting notches on the nozzles from now on, as this to me is a major design flaw in an otherwise stellar product.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi.
At last,I received my UM56s from Variphone Belgium, and tried to fit them,but I think they are too big for my ears,especially the left one,and I can't put them in my ears,fitted on the UM3X ,but I have to put them in alone, first,and then to put the UM56 on them.
Also,when I try to pull the UM56 off,the force which I have to put,is so big,that I am afraid that the little string which helps to unplug them,will be cut.
The same with the putting them off.I have first pull the earphones,and then to take the UM56 off.
I think that it is not the ususal way to wear this UM3X-UM56 combo.
Any comments?

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 5
While mine slides off, it should not be loose like that. You need to send it back. It should fit snuggly and should cut out most of the noise around you. Actually, silicon makes it so it is just north of being so you can't hear anything unless if they yell or something crazy. Silicon will provide the best isolation out of any tips going into your ear, especially custom such as the UM56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back