UM56 for my JVC FX-700?
May 26, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 9
You like spreading your questions over the forum...

For your information, UM56 is specially designed for Westone's IEMs, and Westone's IEMs have smaller nozzles compared to FX700's nozzle. Never seen a FX700 in real life, but most nozzles of dynamic IEMs measure around 5mm or 6mm.

Where are you from? I think ACS is a better place to make custom tips if you are from Europe, or ask Fisher Hearing or Unique Melody to see if they could help you to make custom tips for FX700.

You can try contacting the AverySound as well, though I have no idea about this company. I think it is a little dangerous to do ear impressions on yourself.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494064/averysound-custom-eartips-for-universal-iem-s

May 26, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 9
KLS is a very nice guy. Perhaps one day I shall go Japan to pay you a visit. 
biggrin.gif

To answer the question, the tip should most probably won't make your FX sound good. Tips won't make the earphone sounds better than it can, as it's capped by the drivers themselves, but the tips can change the presentation in a subtle way, and with wrong tips good earphones will sound bad. Custom will give you better fit, but it won't give you too much isolation on the FX, as FX is designed to be open.

May 26, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
@koonhua90, I am from suburban surrounded by paddy fields :)

I think as for how tips alter the sound, or do they make phones sound any better, it depends on size and lenght of the nozzles. I have zero experiece in this, but hope the following link (just for your ireference) helps:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/487688/acs-custom-sleeves#post_6622619

That's an even more compelling reason for me to go, long time since I see nature. Well jokes aside, I am being serious about going there next year, but I imagine there won't be much chance of meeting you.

By the way, to the OP, if you're spending like another hundred++ on custom tips, I'd advise you to save the money for a real custom earphone. Or spend it in on an amp or a better player. Don't let the upgraditis get to you 
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:

By the way, to the OP, if you're spending like another hundred++ on custom tips, I'd advise you to save the money for a real custom earphone. Or spend it in on an amp or a better player. Don't let the upgraditis get to you 
biggrin.gif

I found the improvement in sound quality I got from ACS sleeves (costing £90) on my UM3x earphones was far greater than the sound quality improvement I got from an RSA Tomahawk amp (costing £120 second hand). Coupled with the improvement in comfort and isolation I would recommend custom sleeves thoroughly, but I'm not so convinced by the relative value of amps.

May 27, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I found the improvement in sound quality I got from ACS sleeves (costing £90) on my UM3x earphones was far greater than the sound quality improvement I got from an RSA Tomahawk amp (costing £120 second hand). Coupled with the improvement in comfort and isolation I would recommend custom sleeves thoroughly, but I'm not so convinced by the relative value of amps.

UM3X is a closed BA phone, and FX is an open dynamic phone. Comfort wise, it will be better. But isolation wise, the stock tips will do just as fine. Of course if the OP has a lot of money to burn, and want absolute comfort, then go for it. Anyway, whatever tips you use won't make the earphone better than it is, provided you get a good seal with the right tips (which a lot of people are not),  but custom tips should provide better isolation. The point I was making is that it does not apply well in this situation, as UM3X and FX is different, with the vented design on FX, the sound quality improvement from better isolation won't be that much. As always, OP can be the first to try it out and then tell us how much difference it will make. Then it can help all of us to spend our money wisely.

May 27, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 9
Whilst I agree custom sleeves can't make an earphone "better than it is" I think universal tips can stop them reaching their full potential ... so custom sleeves can improve sound quality.

Fair point about the FX being an open dynmic earphone though. I've also got ACS sleeves for some Sennheiser IE8, another open dynamic earphone, and although they did improve comfort and isolation (to some degree but still not particuarly well isolated) I didn't find tha they didn't make any perceivable difference to the sound quality ... so in answer to the OP's question "Will the UM56's make my IEM's (JVC FX-700) sound a lot better?" the answer is probably not.

May 27, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Whilst I agree custom sleeves can't make an earphone "better than it is" I think universal tips can stop them reaching their full potential ... so custom sleeves can improve sound quality.

Fair point about the FX being an open dynmic earphone though. I've also got ACS sleeves for some Sennheiser IE8, another open dynamic earphone, and although they did improve comfort and isolation (to some degree but still not particuarly well isolated) I didn't find tha they didn't make any perceivable difference to the sound quality ... so in answer to the OP's question "Will the UM56's make my IEM's (JVC FX-700) sound a lot better?" the answer is probably not.

When I compared the isolation on my IE8 with FX, IE8 isolates much better. The IE8 is open, but then it's open in the sense that the bass knob leak outside noise in. FX is another beast, with a huge vent at the back, which is bigger than the nozzle of FX. And at plastic part of the nozzle, there are another 3 ports. But comfort wise, custom tips is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back