UM3X vs. SM3 v2: Advice Appreciated!
Jun 21, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #31 of 55

Quote:
Why tell him that 3 people prefer the SM3 to the UM3x rather than describing the sounds and letting his preferences make the right decision? Why not just tell him to read the various actual reviews describing the sound? You have not even heard the UM3x, while many who have spoken here have listened to both and stated their comparisons. I prefer about 20 IEMs from joker's list that score below the SM3s over the SM3, and I'm sure many others do too. All these rankings mean is that these particular reviewers find the SM3 to sound better to their ears, and I'm sure the topic starter and these 3 reviewers don't have the same ears.

Simply because I do things my way not your way. Guiding the OP towards multi - comparison threads gives him more information to be able to make his own choice .I choose  the SM3 and I'm content with it as a Balanced Armature Driver . It has the balanced sound signature that I was seeking.After owning the westone 3  and reviewing the  CK10's , EQ-5's and reading  comparison threads & eventually hearing the Earsonic SM3's. I know it's one of the very best IEM's  .

Of course I would love to be able to hear a direct comparison myself between the SM3 and the UM3x and many many other IEM's .But that's not practical ,so instead I have trusted reviewers.

Some reviewers have a more joined up way of reviewing .You can see that there basing there opinions on subjectivity.whilst their are others whom  don't .

Choice based on Discrimination is severely flawed IMO .And since most of us  live in  very unequal society's with discrimination and corruption  , that suggest that many are not being quite a Balanced as they could or in fact, for everyone's general well being, should be .

So read between the lines of reviewers .

Quote:  
prestigetone
Thank you all! I am leaning towards the UM3X

Enjoy the music 
beyersmile.png

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #33 of 55
Jun 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #34 of 55
I have no idea what to do now. I bought the W4, UM3X, SE535, and returned all three because I wasn't sure. The UM3X was my favorite, but now I read some threads on here about the safety of IEMs nothing is definitive, and I want something that is best for all occasions. Travel, commuting on the subway, and listening for hours at the office. 

Can the UM3X or the Senn HD25 do all things? Or do I need different tools. I really don't mind spending a lot on one great product.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #38 of 55

Quote:
music_4321 Do you think the Sony 1000's are better than the UM3X?

The EX1000 is the best universal I've heard and the only one that matches my $850 custom ES3X in SQ, though they have quite different sound sigs.

You said in your opening post: "I recently tried the UM3X and Sony EX1000 side by side and really preferred everything about the UM3X". So, the fact I prefer the EX1000 (and W4) over the UM3X should not make any difference if you've heard all 3 of them and still prefer the UM3X - it's your ears, your sound preferences and your needs (the tube, office, etc).

You said you want something for "travel, commuting on the subway, and listening for hours at the office". The EX1000s would not be suitable for use on the underground (subway) due to the lack of isolation, they're more bulky and they may also attract unwanted attention (they look expensive). Might be good for the office if you still want to hear what's happening around you and not feel completely isolated from the outside world. As for using them for hours on end, that's not a problem in my case.

Also, the ergonomics of the UM3X are excellent as well as isolation. In my view, getting something more expensive will not necessarily solve your 'problem'. I'd also suggest being very careful about wanting to spend on portable amps, aftermarket cables and so on - improvements in SQ are often minimal or non-existent. People will suggest getting customs, then they'll suggest getting portable amps/DACs, expensive cables, etc. Do your research, there's valuable information on HF, but there's also TOO much hype, exaggeration AND misinformation.

A good set of IEMs and a DAP will give you more than you think if you manage to get a good fit with the right tips.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd also suggest being very careful about wanting to spend on portable amps, aftermarket cables and so on - improvements in SQ are often minimal or non-existent. People will suggest getting customs, then they'll suggest getting portable amps/DACs, expensive cables, etc. Do your research, there's valuable information on HF, but there's also TOO much hype, exaggeration AND misinformation.

A good set of IEMs and a DAP will give you more than you think if you manage to get a good fit with the right tips.

Pretty much sums up the head-fi experience IMO. Well put my friend.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #40 of 55
Can anyone speak to the issues around an in-ear (UM3X) vs. the on-ear Senn HD25ii? Are in ears safe. This issues seems to be polarized and I want ONE set of phones to do the most heavy lifting. I want to be able to listen in bed, on the train, and in my office. 

Anyone who can answer this I will give you a big virtual hug.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #41 of 55
The um3x sits pretty flush against the ear but I still would not recommend sleeping with them. I tried sleeping on my side and there was a bit of pressure so for the safety of the IEM as well as my ears, I don't fall asleep with them on. Then again, with the senns you definitely won't be able to sleep on your side. In terms of isolation they are both very good, but the um3x does isolate better so it would be better for the train. Also, the senns are not exactly the most comfortable. I didn't have any issues with the clamping force but because it is supra-aural, my ears did get warm and sweaty.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #42 of 55

I can attest that the UM3x is a great bed partner if you dont sleep on your side :D

Quote:
Can anyone speak to the issues around an in-ear (UM3X) vs. the on-ear Senn HD25ii? Are in ears safe. This issues seems to be polarized and I want ONE set of phones to do the most heavy lifting. I want to be able to listen in bed, on the train, and in my office. 

Anyone who can answer this I will give you a big virtual hug.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #43 of 55
Get the UM3X since you already preffered it. Appreciate the inputs, the impressions or even the criticisms, but always trust your ears.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #44 of 55
Got into In ear monitors several years ago, and one of the reasons was to sleep with them on. Never ever had a problem sleeping on my sides, cable issues from sleeping or whatever. 
As said earlier If you;re doing trains you most definitely want isolation. Go with your gut man, and consider re-purchasing the UM3X. Trust me you won;t be the only one here that has bought the same thing a few times, then ENJOY them

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #45 of 55
I'm also debating which of the two to purchase.  I haven't listened to either, but both seem like solid choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back