UM3X Volume Damage?
Aug 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Chipless

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I ran a quick search, but came up empty-handed, so I am hoping one of you can provide some insight.

I own (and love) a pair of Westone UM3Xs. Despite the durability of these monitors, I still baby them so-to-speak. Well, yesterday, I made the mistake of plugging them directly into my MacBook Pro and I had forgotten that the headphone jack volume was set at 100% during a previous listening session using my stereo as the sound source. Furthermore, the external volume was muted, so I had no idea a song was playing before plugging in the UM3Xs (Macs save the last volume settings for the built-in speakers and the headphone jack independently from each other). Therefore, when I plugged in the Westone, all 100% of the volume was instantly blasted through the monitors. It was so loud that I was legitimately startled (normal listening volume is approximately 15%), and my first instinct was to get the UM3Xs out of my ears as fast as possible. I then muted the computer, but a few seconds had elapsed at that point with the volume at 100% (iTunes volume was at 100% as well FWIW).

So, my question is as follows: Could these few seconds have damaged the Westones at all? I believe that I notice some distortion, but this could definitely just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Thank you for any input you can provide.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Anyone? I apologize if this is dumb question, but I want to know if it's even possible that I could have damaged the monitors given the situation described above. Wondering whether I harmed anything has really hampered the satisfaction I get from listening to them. I keep being hyper-critical of every imperfection, whereas before I am sure I wouldn't have even noticed.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 3
Most likely the sudden output of high volume wouldn't damage the speakers if the duration was short. Don't worry, unless those distortions that you speak of is not in fact placebo and is really there, then your speakers are damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back