UM3X, SE530, TF10 or any suggestion? A Trance, Techno, and Rock listener
Jun 8, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 48
I don't have the Westones, but the TripleFis are the closest I've found to the full bass extension which would be expected from good over the ear headphones. You get that physical feeling of impact from the bass. They extend far deeper than the SF5 Pros, and offer a much more transparent and balanced sound signature. They're good phones for the types of music you mention enjoying.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #17 of 48
Thank you all again! It seems that I am left with the UM3x, TF10, and IE8 which will suit me most as mentioned by steviebee but I am leaning towards the UM3x right now, probably because of comments by obentou and DeTrun. TF10 makes me very indecisive because I've gotten used to the UE signature (of SF5). IE8 left minimal impressions and would appreciate if there is further input by those who own UM3x and/or TF10.

@ steviebee,
"Triple Fi swung - I wanted to dance and I felt more emotionally 'lifted', the music seemed to carry more emotional resonance. At one point I was near tears with the 'soulful existence' of the music."
Emotional resonance is what makes music enjoyable but for certain tunes especially those requires vocal emphasis but I need the bass to be slightly more exaggarating, and not too much that it covers up the mids/highs. I am getting the impressions that you prefer treble but I prefer bass?

@ obentou,
Osu!

Do not have any dedicated Sony MP3 player but I do have a VERY old fat looking Sony Discman and I'd say that it's a bit flat for my taste. PSP is tuned towards the lows that it sacrifices too much highs/mids, crap for audio. The Ipod is just nice but lack the some 10-band EQ I enjoyed messing around on my iPAQ HX4700 PDA. Primary listening device to date is still my ipod nano though.

"The hi-hat cymbals that come in later in the main part of the song don't pierce too harshly either."
Glad to hear that, for my SF5 with Rock EQ, the those cymbals pierce deep into my brain, OUCH!

"As for God Knows... drums give plenty of thump this time to your eardrums"
Using Rock EQ, the SF5 could, but barely handle the thump and I am not too sure if the UM3x could handle even deeper bass when EQ'ed Rock for certain tunes... read on below...

"I dug out my old iPod Nano 1G and put it on Rock, and fired up the two songs"
Wow I really appreciate that, arigatou! I hope you do mind testing out further using these two songs (where there are synthetised bass).
Ayumi's SPARKLE in Rock EQ.
m.o.v.e's Balzability in Rock EQ.

The reason I selected these 2 songs is that my SF [size=small]FAILS [/size] desperately (Rock EQ), especially ayu's SPARKLE. I am crossing my fingers that you have them in high bitrate at minimum 192kbps and shall wait very patiently for your verdict on UM3x's bass (and of course treble too) capability. It shall be the key in deciding my upcoming phones!

@ DeTrun,
"Oh. You listen to the same kind of music as I do. Nice. I'm actually listening to 'Don't Say Lazy', right now. Are you also watching Haruhi Suzumiya, the 2nd season and K-On?"
Quite obviously YES!
beerchug.gif

"I'd recommend the PFE. But I think it would be a better idea to get the UM3X" & "But of all headphones I've heard (see my profile), I'd definitely recommend the PFE"
*scratches head*

@ IpodHappy,
"They extend far deeper than the SF5 Pros, and offer a much more transparent and balanced sound signature. They're good phones for the types of music you mention enjoying."
I'd expect that (bass extension) from the TF10 definitely but I'm curious if UM3x could just do better. Is the TF10 any brighter than the SF5? What would you say in the treble department for TF10 anf SF5?

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #18 of 48
Yep, I do like treble, but I have been appreciating bass much more than I used to
biggrin.gif

Bass presentation on my Trips does not overwhelm the mids etc. They are brighter than UM3X, but this just makes the music more alive and live, IMHO. UM3X are very, very good: detailed, transparent, good separation, but do not have the width in soundstage, or treble detail in terms of the, er, metallic-ness of cymbals, which for me takes away slightly the driving, sometimes nagging insistent, nature of some offbeat patterns. TF10 all sounds pretty darn lovely to me right now. Treble detail is superb -metallic sheen on cymbals etc, plucked strings etc. The bass is thunderous when it needs to be. I was listening last night to some dubby stuff, and continue to be amazed at the sheer soundstage these things are conveying. As in w-i-d-e, and deep. I don't recall hearing the apparent ss width/depth to this extent when I used the stock cable & it could be all in my head (!) but, tbh, I don't really care so long as this quality in sound presentation is happening.

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #19 of 48
Hi!

I just returned my TF10. Although they were incredibly detailed, I couldn't get a proper fit with them at all. I found them to be too harsh, and very shrill. My left ear would hurt after less than an hour of listening. I didn't found them to be rich in bass either. I'm kind of a basshead myself. I love rich, lush sound. I tried out the Shure 530s at a local shop and was FLOORED. They're rich, lush and have AMAZING bass. I ordered them a few days later
biggrin.gif

If you can try them out, please do so. I've spent many hours on this site reading, but your ears are the best judge!

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I've spent many hours on this site reading, but your ears are the best judge!

Amen to that.

And good luck with SE530. Each to their own
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen to that.

And good luck with SE530. Each to their own
biggrin.gif

Thanks Stevie. I'm so excited! I hate the waiting game though!

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #22 of 48
Hmm you mind uploading those songs for me and PMing the link? Blazability and SPARKLE that is
smily_headphones1.gif
- Use sendspace.com

I haven't downloaded m.o.v.e in a while... what are some of their new albums or singles? I am going to do a bit of catching up, lol

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #23 of 48
@ steviebee,
"Treble detail is superb -metallic sheen on cymbals etc, plucked strings etc. The bass is thunderous when it needs to be. "
For my taste, I'd like bass to be a bit thunderous although when it's not needed, but that's only when I do EQ
L3000.gif
. SF5 couldn't handle thunderous bass in my opinion but the trebles are perfect, no doubt about it.

@ punkaroo,
You are right, but if I got the chance to listen to them I probably wouldn't bother reading about reviews
tongue.gif
But I might have the chance to listen to E4C tomorrow to get my first Shure impression and their sound signature.

I am pretty sure that TF10 requires really proper seal (like my SF5) to get the bass out. Surprisingly I do not see anybody recommending SE530 for my music genre until now.

@ obentou,
You should get my PM in a short while.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Divine Fang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all again! It seems that I am left with the UM3x, TF10, and IE8 which will suit me most as mentioned by steviebee but I am leaning towards the UM3x right now, probably because of comments by obentou and DeTrun. Do not forget that I have not heard them, I'm only telling you the info I've read from comparisons.
smily_headphones1.gif
TF10 makes me very indecisive because I've gotten used to the UE signature (of SF5). IE8 left minimal impressions and would appreciate if there is further input by those who own UM3x and/or TF10.
I'm pretty sure that the IE8 would be too thick, dark, bassy for Japanese music. The treble would probably be too smooth, which isn't very good either, I guess. It would make J-pop sound too boring, not energetic/engaging enough. Well, I get this feeling when listening to the PX100, CX300, CX200, HD 457 and other Sennheisers.

"Triple Fi swung - I wanted to dance and I felt more emotionally 'lifted', the music seemed to carry more emotional resonance. At one point I was near tears with the 'soulful existence' of the music." This is what I was trying to say. J-pop is usually very energetic music. So treble would improve the energy, which would make it more emotional/engaging. But I guess it would be too much for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

"The hi-hat cymbals that come in later in the main part of the song don't pierce too harshly either."
Glad to hear that, for my SF5 with Rock EQ, the those cymbals pierce deep into my brain, OUCH!

I assume this means no ER4P or PFE for you. But do not get a too dark IEM. It should have enough sparkle/treble.
smily_headphones1.gif
How would your SF5 sound without EQ?

"Oh. You listen to the same kind of music as I do. Nice. I'm actually listening to 'Don't Say Lazy', right now. Are you also watching Haruhi Suzumiya, the 2nd season and K-On?"
Quite obviously YES!
beerchug.gif

Nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

"I'd recommend the PFE. But I think it would be a better idea to get the UM3X"

Well, I should give an explanation: I think it would be a better idea to get the UM3X, because you do not really like piercing treble. (This advice is based on quite a lot impressions/reviews I've read and when thinking about your preferred sound signature. I do not own them.) So I assume the PFE would be too bright, bass light and the IE8 wouldn't be engaging enough for you, with too overpowering bass. But treble is a must imo for J-Music. I've read in the UM3X Appreciation thread that the UM3X' treble and bass is like a combination of the PFE and IE8's bass/treble: Just enough, tight bass without overpowering mids/highs. Treble is smooth (which you would prefer, I assume), while still having sparkle. Also, midrange seems to be prominent. Great for vocals and electric guitars. Ask obentou for more info, he owns them.
smily_headphones1.gif

& "But of all headphones I've heard (see my profile), I'd definitely recommend the PFE"
*scratches head*
This means: If I didn't know anything about other headphones and I would only know the sound signature of the headphones I have heard, the PFE would be my recommendation.
But because I do know, I'd recommend the UM3X, it seems to fit your requirements. Are you able to understand me? Yes, I'm bad at explaining and writing in English is a bit hard too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Underlined = me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #26 of 48
@ Detrun,
One of the review mentions "Deep bass is not represented." So I think it's safe for me say that Re0 is not my cup of tea now.

I'm pretty sure that the IE8 would be too thick, dark, bassy for Japanese music. The treble would probably be too smooth, which isn't very good either, I guess. It would make J-pop sound too boring, not energetic/engaging enough

Good. You have eliminated IE8 in my list, I guess.

Well, I get this feeling when listening to the PX100, CX300, CX200, HD 457 and other Sennheisers.
I got my ears on PX100 recently and I DO NOT like it for my music, too dark! Might be good for movies though.

I assume this means no ER4P or PFE for you. But do not get a too dark IEM. It should have enough sparkle/treble. How would your SF5 sound without EQ?
Never considered ER4P and thanks for eliminating PRE for me too. So I'm left with TF10 and UM3x.
SF5 sounds very good in everything except for deep bass. Mid-bass is excellent with lots of noticeable texture. Treble is bearable although would actually prefer hi-treble presence stronger. But overall would like it to be less harsh. I probably wouldn't consider upgrading if it isn't the left bud problem.

This advice is based on quite a lot impressions/reviews I've read and when thinking about your preferred sound signature. I do not own them.... Yes, I'm bad at explaining and writing in English is a bit hard too.
No worries, you've helped a lot! Thank you!

Ask obentou for more info, he owns them.
Sent him some tracks to sample
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #27 of 48
Currently listening to MOVE's Dogfight with UM3X + modded triple flanges + D10. Good bass quantity and quality, mids/vocals and high are good and smooth too. With UM3X it is like listening to a sound which being recorded with dynamic microphone, and with PFEs, the sound was like being recorded with condenser/ribbon microphones.

Both UM3Xs and PFEs are very good in it's own way, If you need more fun and 'bigger' sound, I recommended UM3Xs, which also very nice matched with classic. If you really like very clear/clarity sound and very fast clear deep bass, look no further, PFEs are good choice, but need 'more power' to drive it to another level
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck.

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #28 of 48
@ Bakhtiar,
Another m.o.v.e listener, GREAT! Based on what you said, UM3X definitely suits me better than PFE. Btw, where can I get (or where did you get) the UM3X in Malaysia? I'm staying in K.L. in fact.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Divine Fang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Detrun,

I'm pretty sure that the IE8 would be too thick, dark, bassy for Japanese music. The treble would probably be too smooth, which isn't very good either, I guess. It would make J-pop sound too boring, not energetic/engaging enough

Good. You have eliminated IE8 in my list, I guess.

Since your entire music collection consists of J-pop etc., IE8 will not be your
best choice, but that does not make it a good choice.
I wonder where Detrun got his opinion/summary of IE8 been "too thick, dark,
bassy for Japanese music", since that simply isn't true. The most you could say
is that IE8 got a light veil on the treble, it can handle most Asian music with
ease. As for the smooth treble, IE8's sound across the board is smooth and
non-fatiguing, it'll never engage you as W3 or TF10 does, nor will you get
tired of listening. And NO, it will not sound boring.

IE8 lack a small amount of treble which could help its high sound equal compared
to its bass, which makes it not the best candidate for vocals that focus
on upper mids and highs, instruments would do fine though.
(1000+hr IE8)

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #30 of 48
Divine Fang

I am not particularly a M.O.V.E fan. I just love some of the Japanese anime songs, especially if the anime is my favorites.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought UM3X in Singapore. There you can try out any heaphones/IEMs before purchasing it. Before that, you can ask them for the availability first before visiting their store. It cheaper to buy audio equipments in Singapore than Malaysia, where you can avoide hefty custom tax.

You can try jaben.net or stereo.com.sg.Or there are several bulk orders at lowyat.net (audiophile section). I prefer to listen to it first before purchasing
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back