UM3X or SM3 or... for my tastes?
Aug 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bl42ed0

Head-Fier
I've been scouring the forums for an idea of which one I would prefer but I don't think I've actually found anything geared specifically towards what I want out of them.

What I'm going to be using them for:
  • Normal music playback
  • Taking them to the gym (not for running)
  • My taste in music is pretty eclectic. I listen to electronic, rock, R&B, and the occasional country song with electronic music being listened to roughly 80% of the time. (Favorite song at the moment: Obedear by Purity Ring; to give you an idea of my tastes)
  • Comfort, reliability, and sound isolation are pretty important as well.
  • Will also use them for the occasional movie or video game.
  • Anything under $450USD.

Any other IEMs will be considered too. Thanks in advance.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 17
The SM3 seems good for your needs, but if its the SM3v1, the one with the clear plastic shell, I'm not sure how durable the thing is. The SM3v2, with the black plastic shell is much more durable.

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 17
From technical sound perspective  SM3V1 has little bass hump  and more rolled of treble than the UM3X but in terms of imaging SM3 has more precise presentation and also SM3 sounded a lot more musical than UM3X. UM3x wins on detailed and flat sounds that creates a monitor liked IEM which suitable for musician purpose

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 17
I had both the UM3X and SM3 V2. I, like many others, could not decide between either of them and after reading "A vs. B" threads where people would say the UM3X is better or vice-versa, I had to buy them both. From my experience, the UM3X is not in the same league as the SM3. The level of overall clarity is much better than the UM3X. In fact, I really didn't like the UM3X, the sound sounded very flat and dull. Of course, this is all personal opinion for me. I have since sold the UM3X's.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 17
At this level, iems are just different & sound is highly subjective.

The um3x is a phenomenal headphone with a small intimate soundstage, great extension and bass. The SM3 is also awesome with a larger soundstage, lush mids & slightly bloated mid bass. I can't seem to rid myself of either.

For this price, the Westone 4 is also awesome.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 17
G'day mate,

I've owned both the um3x removable cable and the sm3 v1 and v2

The sm3 I've sold twice and just recently bought it again, while the um3x sold it, but haven't thought about buying them again.

• Normal music playback (both are good, but with poorer studio recorded music, the sm3 will suffer more, as its more track dependent)

• Taking them to the gym (not for running) -(both bout the same I reckon) but westone has 2 year warranty, though earsonic customer service is excellent, though a year. never had any probs with v1, but v2, had a bouncy shell sound when tapped, and got it replaced easily) Isolation is prob a bit better the um3x, but if you use shure olive foam tips with the sm3, they're about the same

• My taste in music is pretty eclectic. I listen to electronic, rock, R&B, and the occasional country song with electronic music being listened to roughly 80% of the time. (Favorite song at the moment: Obedear by Purity Ring; to give you an idea of my tastes) With electronic music, soundstage isn't an issue with that genre, so UM3X's narrow soundstage shouldn't matter, but with other types of music, it's intimate presentation style might be too much if you want to relax.. The upfront vocals might be intimidating if you don't like upfront music and can sound too clinical. But there is a lot of detail that's for sure) The SM3 you can relax more into the music, as the singer is singing to you, not at you like the um3x. It's also a preference thing in terms of bass. UM3x if you like hard hitting bass but not so much weight, SM3 if you like sub bass reverb, a bit slower, but more oomph)

• Comfort, reliability, and sound isolation are pretty important as well. Although they are both comfy, I think the sm3's tend to b a bit less comfy than the um3x for extended listening sessions, even with the redesigned shell. Its a bit wide for smaller ear sizes. and comfort really depends on the tips you choose. shure foam olives are pretty comfy with both, but you might not like the sound. I don't mind it.
  •  
  • Will also use them for the occasional movie or video game. SM3 may be better, as it has a bigger soundstage and more accurate positioning and being able to throw music further away
  •  

***If you decide either, and only purchase one and not the other, I'm sure you'll be happy, as you haven't heard the other. But if you get to listen to both, once you grow or get used to the SM3's unique signature, you will understand that you get to listen to how music is recorded in its natural state, so different songs will change in sound more than the same intimate soundstage you get with the um3x. So having heard music sound differently with the sm3, I always wonder how the song really sounds when played with the UM3x, so I switch back to the SM3. However I can understand how ppl who like intimate sound and being up close to the singer would enjoy the um3x, but that can be a claustrophic experience switching from the sm3 :p)

but if you listen to electronic music mostly, you won't notice the soundstage :wink:

Cheers
James

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
G'day mate,

I've owned both the um3x removable cable and the sm3 v1 and v2

The sm3 I've sold twice and just recently bought it again, while the um3x sold it, but haven't thought about buying them again.

• Normal music playback (both are good, but with poorer studio recorded music, the sm3 will suffer more, as its more track dependent)

• Taking them to the gym (not for running) -(both bout the same I reckon) but westone has 2 year warranty, though earsonic customer service is excellent, though a year. never had any probs with v1, but v2, had a bouncy shell sound when tapped, and got it replaced easily) Isolation is prob a bit better the um3x, but if you use shure olive foam tips with the sm3, they're about the same

• My taste in music is pretty eclectic. I listen to electronic, rock, R&B, and the occasional country song with electronic music being listened to roughly 80% of the time. (Favorite song at the moment: Obedear by Purity Ring; to give you an idea of my tastes) With electronic music, soundstage isn't an issue with that genre, so UM3X's narrow soundstage shouldn't matter, but with other types of music, it's intimate presentation style might be too much if you want to relax.. The upfront vocals might be intimidating if you don't like upfront music and can sound too clinical. But there is a lot of detail that's for sure) The SM3 you can relax more into the music, as the singer is singing to you, not at you like the um3x. It's also a preference thing in terms of bass. UM3x if you like hard hitting bass but not so much weight, SM3 if you like sub bass reverb, a bit slower, but more oomph)

• Comfort, reliability, and sound isolation are pretty important as well. Although they are both comfy, I think the sm3's tend to b a bit less comfy than the um3x for extended listening sessions, even with the redesigned shell. Its a bit wide for smaller ear sizes. and comfort really depends on the tips you choose. shure foam olives are pretty comfy with both, but you might not like the sound. I don't mind it.
  •  
  • Will also use them for the occasional movie or video game. SM3 may be better, as it has a bigger soundstage and more accurate positioning and being able to throw music further away
  •  

***If you decide either, and only purchase one and not the other, I'm sure you'll be happy, as you haven't heard the other. But if you get to listen to both, once you grow or get used to the SM3's unique signature, you will understand that you get to listen to how music is recorded in its natural state, so different songs will change in sound more than the same intimate soundstage you get with the um3x. So having heard music sound differently with the sm3, I always wonder how the song really sounds when played with the UM3x, so I switch back to the SM3. However I can understand how ppl who like intimate sound and being up close to the singer would enjoy the um3x, but that can be a claustrophic experience switching from the sm3 :p)

but if you listen to electronic music mostly, you won't notice the soundstage :wink:

Cheers
James

Fantastic response, James! Thanks for addressing each issue I had. Looks like I will be purchasing the sm3 in the near future. :]

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 17
I'm listening to that Purity Ring song you mentioned on my SM3s right now. Anyway, I've owned both the SM3s and the UM3Xs, and I'd say that the UM3X would be better for you. The articulation is a lot better and it has a sparklier presentation. SM3s are probably only better for your rock music, but all electronic I find the UM3Xs are better, and for this Purity Ring type stuff you linked. 

In short, the UM3Xs have much better instrument separation, and the treble is simply magnificent. They are SO accurate, and I find the presentation is a lot more airy than the SM3s (which I find is good for electronic). I remember when I first listened to some Dubstep and DnB on my UM3Xs. I was simply blown away by the presentation and transparency of everything. I just don't get that with the SM3s for electronic music.

The UM3Xs are a lot colder than the SM3s... SM3s are very, very warm and solid sounding. The bass is boomier, whereas UM3X bass is very tight and very punchy. I prefer the UM3X bass A LOT more than the SM3 bass. The mids are more realistic and lush on the SM3s though, but that's not to say they are bad on the UM3X, because they're excellent but just have a different signature. The lows are a lot better on the SM3s. UM3X blows SM3s away in terms of highs though.

So, overall, I'd say go with the UM3Xs, given what you've described. Or, I mean, you could always buy the SM3s first and then sell them (they're a lot more liquid than the UM3Xs) and then sell them if you don't find yourself being blown away because of your style of music. Anyway, I am voting for the UM3X.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
I'm listening to that Purity Ring song you mentioned on my SM3s right now. Anyway, I've owned both the SM3s and the UM3Xs, and I'd say that the UM3X would be better for you. The articulation is a lot better and it has a sparklier presentation. SM3s are probably only better for your rock music, but all electronic I find the UM3Xs are better, and for this Purity Ring type stuff you linked. 

In short, the UM3Xs have much better instrument separation, and the treble is simply magnificent. They are SO accurate, and I find the presentation is a lot more airy than the SM3s (which I find is good for electronic). I remember when I first listened to some Dubstep and DnB on my UM3Xs. I was simply blown away by the presentation and transparency of everything. I just don't get that with the SM3s for electronic music.

The UM3Xs are a lot colder than the SM3s... SM3s are very, very warm and solid sounding. The bass is boomier, whereas UM3X bass is very tight and very punchy. I prefer the UM3X bass A LOT more than the SM3 bass. The mids are more realistic and lush on the SM3s though, but that's not to say they are bad on the UM3X, because they're excellent but just have a different signature. The lows are a lot better on the SM3s. UM3X blows SM3s away in terms of highs though.

So, overall, I'd say go with the UM3Xs, given what you've described. Or, I mean, you could always buy the SM3s first and then sell them (they're a lot more liquid than the UM3Xs) and then sell them if you don't find yourself being blown away because of your style of music. Anyway, I am voting for the UM3X.

Hrm, now I'm indecisive again thanks to you! 
tongue.gif
 I definitely listen to mostly electronic music but it really is a toss up between electronic and rock like A Perfect Circle or Pink Floyd. SM3 is better for rock but UM3X is better for electronic... Seems like I can't get the best of both worlds with either...

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 17
Sorry to jump in, but this is an interesting thread to me too. I'm pretty much trying to decide between these two. You mentioned that the SM3 is better for rock, but the UM3X seems like it's a bit faster. That seems a bit contradictory to me? Maybe I'm wrong?

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 17
Hi,
I've just got a pair of Earsonics SM3 v1 and totally happy with their sound quality and comfort.
SM3's bass and mids are great to me, good/fun amount of bass and sweet mids with wide soundstage.
Although the treble is kinda laid-back/recessed, I found the SM3s are very musical and non-fatigue.

Not sure about the UM3X, but I've tried the Westone 4s and not so fond of their sound signature.

btw, where can I find a good price SM3 v2 ? Found them on their site for EUR345 ($430-ish).

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Sorry to jump in, but this is an interesting thread to me too. I'm pretty much trying to decide between these two. You mentioned that the SM3 is better for rock, but the UM3X seems like it's a bit faster. That seems a bit contradictory to me? Maybe I'm wrong?

I don't know. I am just going by what Pepper has said in his post. I would love a pair that does both types of music equally well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back