UM3X [Opinions] yours&mine
Apr 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

delladood

100+ Head-Fier
Title. I just snagged some um3x off of earphone solutions.  This is a pretty big step forward for me.  The only other triple driver I've ever had was the TF10.  Other high end iems I've owned the were IE8's, ER-4S, ASG-1, ShureSE425, X10, MG7Atrio, and many others.  If you would even like to classify any of those as "upper tier."  Needless to say, I just catapulted myself in a whole new tier of IEMS.  How do these compare as far as isolation, comfort, and sound.  What should I expect??  Will the heavens open up when I put these iems in:wink:?  Or will it be another pair that I'm just saying to myself. "these are good, but they are not a step up or anything."

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 86
Having also gone from a TF10 to a UM3X. I'd still say that the TF10 belongs in the upper tier of universal IEMs, so to speak. The UM3X doesn't have the sparkly, ultra-detailed highs or the spacious sound of the TF10. On the other hand, the UM3X sounds much more complete -- it's not lacking in any way. The mids are very forward, the complete opposite of the TF10. The highs are very detailed without being fatiguing, and the bass is much stronger than the "monitor" designation would have you think (but not bloated or anything). So in terms of sound, as with other top-tier IEMs, it's more of a give and take rather than an across the board improvement.

In terms of ergonomics though, the UM3X completely wipes the floor with the TF10. Fit, comfort, and isolation are probably the best you can get with a universal IEM. Build quality looks outstanding. And the tangly, memory-prone TF10 cable is just pathetic compared to the Westone cable. Hope this helps.

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 86

Quote:
Having also gone from a TF10 to a UM3X. I'd still say that the TF10 belongs in the upper tier of universal IEMs, so to speak. The UM3X doesn't have the sparkly, ultra-detailed highs or the spacious sound of the TF10. On the other hand, the UM3X sounds much more complete -- it's not lacking in any way. The mids are very forward, the complete opposite of the TF10. The highs are very detailed without being fatiguing, and the bass is much stronger than the "monitor" designation would have you think (but not bloated or anything). So in terms of sound, as with other top-tier IEMs, it's more of a give and take rather than an across the board improvement.

In terms of ergonomics though, the UM3X completely wipes the floor with the TF10. Fit, comfort, and isolation are probably the best you can get with a universal IEM. Build quality looks outstanding. And the tangly, memory-prone TF10 cable is just pathetic compared to the Westone cable. Hope this helps.

thanks for you input! I can't wait to get them thursday!

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 86
I briefly tried the UM3x, and it's a bit much more comfortable than TF10s (TF10s were pretty comfortable for me). Less sibilance and sparkle than TF10. Bass quantity is reasonable on both. TF10 soundstage is quite a bit bigger. UM3x seems more suitable for monitoring than TF10. I never really liked the sound of the TF10. I really think it's a case of sound sig choice here, but TF10 is a lot cheaper.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 86
I would describe the Um3x in very similar way as you. Its not the best iem out there but for some reason, you just feel satisfied because everything is there. It delivers the full package.
Quote:

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 86

Quote:
I briefly tried the UM3x, and it's a bit much more comfortable than TF10s (TF10s were pretty comfortable for me). Less sibilance and sparkle than TF10. Bass quantity is reasonable on both. TF10 soundstage is quite a bit bigger. UM3x seems more suitable for monitoring than TF10. I never really liked the sound of the TF10. I really think it's a case of sound sig choice here, but TF10 is a lot cheaper.

At least I wont have frankenstein plugs coming out of my head O.O

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 86
First of all, stop killing yourself immerse yourself in everything UM3x because you're stuck waiting for a parcel to arrive.  I should know, I was doing it for two weeks until yesterday arvo.  Saying that, here's a few things to note, coming from the ER4P myself. (I'm not very experienced, having most of my listening-time spent on bookshelf speakers rather than headgear, so take the comparison for what it's worth)

- It did not disappoint.  At all.  I love it

- It's not as bright/sparkly as the ER4P, but give it 4dB of boost (and -4dB precut) at/above 10kHz and it will come very very close.  I'm running 3dB and the only song I can tell the difference in is the solo at 6:00 in Sidewinder by Avenged Sevenfold (but then there aren't very many passages with I know that well.

- The UM3x are more fiddly to put in and get a good seal with (because the ER4s don't have the need for the memory-wire hooks, given their deep insertion lenth.

- I find the UM3x easier to get a very consistent fit/seal with (ie nozzles the same place in the ear canal every time).  With the ER4Ps I had to adjust the left earpiece in/out to get the bass and treble perfectly consistent with the right one.  Id be interested to see impressions of my left vs right ear canal, because with the UM3x I have to use the large/long comply tip in the left ear to get a perfect seal easily, whereas I can do it with the medium/long tip in my right ear (more comfortable using a smaller tip) 

- The ER4P might be more detailed in some ways (would have to A/B them to be sure), but I find the UM3x doesn't give up anything and that it presents them in such a way that you don't have too look for them.  What I mean by that is that while the ER4P showed me details in songs that I never knew were there, they were almost isolated from each other and I was concentrating on them one at a time.  It was beautiful, but I felt like it was hard to listen to a small detail without zoning out and slightly ignoring the rest of the song.  With the UM3x I find that it comes naturally and that I'm simply presented with all the fine details of every instrument without having to concentrate on them.  I don't know if that makes sense or whether that's something that could be corrected in the ER4P with equalisation, but I enjoy the experience more with the UM3x.

- Soundstage I can't really comment on, since I've never experienced a pair of phones that has made me feel like the sound is coming from anywhere but slightly behind my eyes.  Maybe that's because I'm used to speakers, maybe my choice in 'phones (ER4P/ATH-M50/UM3X) all don't stage very well, but I've not noticed much difference.

Either way, I don't think you're going to be regretting the purchase at all :wink:

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #11 of 86
Apr 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 86
Order the Earsonics large bore bi flange sleeves for the UM3x. Best investment I made for the UM3x before I reshelled them.
The complys and silicone sleeves just didn't cut it for me. Comfort, treble loss or isolation were hit and miss with stock tips.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 86
I've got a number of great phones, the ck10, w4, fx700, GR07 & the um3x. The um3x is not necessarily better than any of them, but it is awesome and intimate. You will not be disappointed. People have made negative comments about build quality which I do not understand. Solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back