Um3x and comply tips= crappy sound?
Oct 27, 2009 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

chicagojammer

Head-Fier
Will the Shure olives make a big difference here? I just got the Um3x and notice it sounds kind of muddy, i dont really expect any burn in required since its not dynamic drivers or anything. I know im prob not used to its sound signature but so far nothing really shines, wondered if its the supplied comply tips.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 23
The stock tips do two things.

1) soaks up some of the highs and upper midrange, skews the frequency response

2) adds a little midbass punch, nice if you needed it, but the UM3X has no qualms about bass presence.

The Olive tips are a definite upgrade in the right direction. They're very comfy and don't soak up the high frequencies like the stock tips. As well, the bass is a little more even because they don't have that midbass thump the stock tips add. I've used the UM3X stock foams on other earphones too and get the same variation.

I really don't know why Westone would put those tips on. Besides comfort, they just mess up the sound and make the IEM a little off-putting for any first time user. It's kind of dumb on their part.

Yes, because of how they compress, they can sometimes initially muffle the sound too if the foam gets in the way of the nozzle. You can typically move them around a little bit and fix this. However, you can't fix the other issues.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 23
it really depends on the shape of your ear canal. i have the exact same problem... comply tips are unusable for me.

the shure soft flex tips are my current favorite.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagojammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok thanks, hopefully they sell these sleeles at the apple store here downtown, want to get these shure foams now!

They should have it, I got my shure black foam tips at my one and only Apple store in town

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 23
I disagree. You can't make a blanket statement. I could argue that the comply tips offer superior treble as opposed to the tri-flanges because the exit hole of the tip is much more open and exposed on the comply. The small hole of the tri-flange suppreses the treble.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 23
I agree with Spyro here. I have tried the Shure small comply tips and while they fit me and seal well i felt like the sound WAS somewhat suppressed due to the small hole in which the sound exits. The Shure Olives, for me, have been a happy medium but I'm interested to see what the Klipsch gels deliver.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 23
I take it all back, what sucks are not my earphones, its the palm pre im using to playback the music on. The Pre is absolute garbage compared to my other sources, sucks since i use my pre on the train. Time to check out the Sansa Clip!

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #15 of 23
Tried the new black complys with ear wax filters versus black olives (both medium size) and can't really detect much difference in sound. The big difference though is that the complys don't give me a seal that last very long wher as the olives give a nice long lasting seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back