UM2s really put out heat
Jul 8, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #31 of 39
OK. Dynamic tranducers benefit from burn-in; the amount by which is highly dependant on the headphone and/or user.

It is logical: moving diaphargm = loosening; tightening of coils etc... Im not sure if this is quantifiable in an audible-sence, however a "change" - however imperceptible - is within the grounds of logic; given the basis on which these drivers work.

Balanced armature drivers, such as those in the UM2's and other higher-end canalphones, cannot burn in. I cannot fully detail to you the way in which they function; but their lack of traditional coils/moving-diaphragm, means that they lack a component that could possibly benefit from mechanical "burn-in." They produce sound in a controlled manner; meaning their mechanism is not liable (?) to variation with use.

If someone wants to research this further; please do so, and you will confirm what I have stated above. Armature burn-in is illogical. What changes with use? Which component?

Cable burn-in? Perhaps; since this could affect any headphone; but IMO, this is kind of ridiculous.

Jul 8, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #32 of 39
How I understand it is that for a BA design a coil is wrapped around a former rod, which is mounted inside a magnet assembly.
Attached to the former rod is a lever linkage which vibrates a plate diaphragm in a 90 degree plane [Edit: or possibly mounted on the end of the rod...design dependent] to the former rod motion - which is what produces the sound.
That former rod still has to be suspended/mounted by something.
But if I understand it correctly the diaphragm is just mounted to the lever...the implication being that it would be the diaphragm surround which contributes mainly to the burn-in process.
If Jerry @ Ultimate Ears says that BA designs don't need or benefit from burn-in...well that is good enough for me!
etysmile.gif

FWIW I know that (headphone) cable burn-in is stretching my credulity to the limit - but if someone claims that it works for them, then it works for them.

Jul 9, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
In my experience, the UM2 did not benefit from any kind of burn in. I think a lot of the times what people describe as burn-in is simply them adjusting to the new sound of the can.

You are dead on!!!

You guys keep burning Ill keep listening. But Im sure the bathroom walls loved the show.
orphsmile.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #34 of 39
It would be so useful if there were graphs of the UM2 audio response, before and after the proverbial "burn-in" period.

Personally, I did perceive a change at around the 60 hour period. Then again, the sound seems to change daily with placement of the Compry tips in my oversized ear canals -- and with the learning curve using the UM2. Both factors may be involved.

On the other hand, I didn't notice much of a change with my DT880s after burn-in.

etysmile.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
It would be so useful if there were graphs of the UM2 audio response, before and after the proverbial "burn-in" period.

Personally, I did perceive a change at around the 60 hour period. Then again, the sound seems to change daily with placement of the Compry tips in my oversized ear canals -- and with the learning curve using the UM2. Both factors may be involved.

etysmile.gif

Personally, after 100+ hrs. with my UM2, I don't believe there has been a burn in so to speak! What I do think is that with time you get better and better at inserting them properly (this was true for my other three canalphones as well) and therefore they start to sound better and better.

I have been using a modified eyt tri-flange tip (made into a bi-flange) and can get them inserted fairly easily and they keep sounding better! I should receive my custom molded tips in a few days and I think I'm going to have to adjust (again) to them and I'm 100% sure the sound will be different for the first few hours.

Also, I have noticed that depending upon the environment, the sound changes slightly.

Just one opinion!

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I plugged in my CD player (playing a white noise loop), turned on my headphone amp, and wrapped the UM2s loosely in a bath towel to keep the volume down.

The next morning, I was surprised to find that the UM2s were almost hot to the touch! Speaking of "burning in..."

I really hate to bring the thread back to the original topic, but if your canalphones are putting out such a high volume that you have to muffle it so you can get to sleep when it's a few feet away, then the volume is way too high, you may even risk damaging them. For my Ety 4Ps, the volume is too loud if I can hear them a foot away from my ears. Watch that volume or get your ears cleaned
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #37 of 39
The UM2s do sound different after burn in!

at first they had a hard treble and bass seemed boomy. But after a few hours the sound smothed out.

Then I put some string and oboe CD and let it run all night - and deffo there is a difference after - I can hear more harmonics in the sound!

Now they say UM2s dont burn in like normal phones as they dont have drivers - but my veiw anything that moves (even a tiny amount) will burn in.

I know the designer of the speakers at Rega hifi's and he tells me his speakers are so well made and ballenced they dont need burn in - but I can hear things in music that he cant... Im a pro musician and trust my ears

The UM2s do sound different after a few hours!

Oct 12, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #38 of 39
Just another vote on the "haven't noticed a difference" side of things...

But then, I am an audiophile noob and not sure whether my ears are quite up to the level of the rest of you! My UM2 have about 50 hours use so far and they sounded great right out of the box and they still sound great (and they still sound the same).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back