UM2s arrived...and they suck - maybe the ER-4P?
Oct 18, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #31 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
Balanced armature drivers don't burn in.

rolleyes.gif
Is that a fact? And why, exactly, is that? Since you specify armature drivers I'm assuming that means you think "normal" drivers do burn in. You might be surprised then to know that balanced armature drivers work exactly the same way as all dynamic transducers, and there is absolutely no reason for them to behave any differently. This myth is idiotic.

BTW, to the original poster, it's likely that you prefer a boosted upper-midrange since the HD600 is far more capable than any IEM, ER6 included (in actuality, 100$ gets you an open headphone that walks all over any universal IEMs), and it's not really an issue of capability, but more one of taste preferences. The ER4P/S will give you that sound.

jesse

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #33 of 61
Pretty much anything recommended here. SR60, PX100, HD497, that I've spent time with at least. It wouldn't surprise me if there were others like the Koss family that are also better. Given a quiet listening environment, obviously. When isolation is necessary it changes things, but my point is in terms of sonics absolutely IEMs are very weak.

jesse

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
Pretty much anything recommended here. SR60, PX100, HD497, that I've spent time with at least. It wouldn't surprise me if there were others like the Koss family that are also better. Given a quiet listening environment, obviously. When isolation is necessary it changes things, but my point is in terms of sonics absolutely IEMs are very weak.

jesse

I think you're dreaming.

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

jesse

well, i personally consider the ER-4S to be superior to the DT880 and the HD650 in many ways, so you can guess what i think about the PX100 vs. ER-4S comparison.

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by holeinmywallet
oh man, this is not good to hear. I am waiting/expecting for my um2 to arrive today and kick arse right next to e4 and er4p.

You've made the right decision. UM2 are great.

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #38 of 61
the biggest factor for pulling the trigger on um2 was the larger soundstage that has been frequently associated with um2/superfi/e5c. I know that soundstage is probably the last thing to get the most out of iems, but i was curious how much difference um2 would provide over e4/er4 in this aspect. I am actually expecting a little bit of treble rolloff on um2, but is the magnitude much more dramatic than going from er4p to e4's treble? I know e4 has slightly recessed treble compared to er4p.

Oct 18, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #39 of 61
Absolutely, all the cans mentioned thus far are top notch! Different strokes...

Oct 18, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #40 of 61
I got UM2 recently and compared to ER6 and Sony SA1K UM2 has much better bass. I listen on ipod mini as well as laptop/Echo Indigo and its too good. I guess its matter of taste.

Oct 18, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
Is that a fact? And why, exactly, is that? Since you specify armature drivers I'm assuming that means you think "normal" drivers do burn in. You might be surprised then to know that balanced armature drivers work exactly the same way as all dynamic transducers, and there is absolutely no reason for them to behave any differently. This myth is idiotic.

It's a fact because the employees of Ultimate Ears said so. And they're a lot smarter than you.

And no, balanced armatures are not the same as dynamic. Similar, maybe, but not exactly the same. Click.

But anyways, I'm trying the triple flanges now. I'll also try cutting the third flange if I don't hear much of a difference.

Oct 18, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #42 of 61
The burn in issue with IEM is actually quite subtle. The technology behind it says no burn-in required, but I believe we human mentally feel a big difference if we let our IEM burn-in. Some even said it is because the cable that needs burn-in.

Hi Emon, I would recommand you give UM2 at least couple of weeks before making the conclusion and returning it. When I first got UM2, I was impressed by it for the first 10 min, and then I feel Shure e4c is a lot better because it sounds really muddy compare to e4c. However, after trying out different tips, I feel UM2 is on par with shure e4c with much better bass.

Oct 18, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #43 of 61
Hmm, when I tried the triflanges on my E3Cs they hurt like hell and rolled the treble right off, almost like the tubes were too long/curved in my ear canal or whatnot. Cutting the third (little) end flange off helped both the pain and the treble.
However, apart from the nausea induced the first time I pushed my ER4Ps fully home, the Etys really cut the mustard with the triflanges, even better with the ER24P-24 converter cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back