UM2s arrived...and they suck - maybe the ER-4P?
Oct 18, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #16 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
if you get the er4p make or buy the p-s adapter. the first time i tried the er4p i thought the filters were clogged and changed them right away. they weren't. the p-s adapter helps bring out that crystaline ety treble.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how do you make this adaptor?

I did a search, but I couldn't find a thread describing the process.

I really don't have 50 bucks for the cable, but I am dying to try it.

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #17 of 61
It's just two jacks, some wire and one 75 ohm resistor placed in line with each channel (except for ground). If you're decent with your hands, you should be able to cram two 75 ohm metal film resistors into most mini plugs. I managed to fit two carbon resistors, rated at 1/4 of a watt I think, into a slim Calrad plug. It's very tight, but they fit.

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #18 of 61
I just got a pair of Shure E4c from Jmmmmm, thanks for letting me borrow them buddy, and they do sound better than the ER6i I have been using and enjoying for the last couple months.

Oct 18, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
Where's the treble?? Even with all the equalization in the world, I cannot get my new UM2s to produce any decent highs. My ER-6 have a much more clear, refined sound. The UM2s sound cheap and muddy. ER-6 MSRP is $140, UM2 MSRP is $450. What gives? I've been listening all day and I can't get over the total lack of highs.

The low end isn't even that great, either. I need to do quite a bit of equalization to get decent bass using my E-MU 1212m. My HD600s, both amped and unamped, have better bass than these. With the EQ, though, the low end is pretty nice. So maybe it's just my source...but the 1212m is pretty flat as far as I know...that's kind of the whole point to prosumer studio equipment. But that's kind of irrelevant, since I can easily get the low end to sound how I like it.

I'm going to order a pair of ER-4Ps from EarphoneSolutions before that 20% off Head-Fi discount is over on Thursday, then do a head-to-head comparison. I can also try the Etymotic tips on the UM2s to see how they affect the sound.

So...I guess I'm asking for general opinions. I like my ER-6s and that Ety sound, how much better would the ER-4Ps be? If I can get my ER-6s to thump with some simple equalization between foobar2000 and PatchMix DSP, then I doubt I would have trouble getting the ER-4Ps to do the same.

I like the cold, flat and transparent sound my 1212m + ER-6 gets me. With the UM2 I was looking for something similar. I knew they wouldn't have an Ety sound, but I didn't expect them to be so...not very good. Maybe the ER-4P is my best bet?

Ah, someone else has experienced what I did. The um2's are rolled off on the top end, and while eq'ing will help, it will never bring them to ety or e4 level (imo, sorta). The triflanges do make a huge difference in sound, though. The comply tips muffle the sound horribly. Without them I would have sold the um2's long before I actually did. So, I think giving the triflanges a shot isn't a terrible idea.

Whatever you do, do not order the ue5pro. The um2's have more treble than the 5pro's. It's not a large difference, but the um2's absolutely have more treble. (I think the 5pro's are minutely more detailed, though.)

I also think the er6i's (and therefore probably the er6's, which I haven't heard) are an amazing headphone for the price. The only things that compare to the er6i's in detail and accuracy are the er4's and the shure e4's (imo). Well, unless you get into the custom world, but that's another story.

The only universal canalphones you should look into ordering are the er4s/er4p, and Maybe the e4. The e4 quite isn't detailed and sterile as the er4, but I find it warmer and more enjoyable.

And the er6i is more detailed and accurate than the um2 (imo again, sorta), so I don't find it unreasonable for someone to prefer them to the um2. A problem with the seal will actually lead to no bass and prominent, screechy treble, so I really doubt that is the issue. You're used to the er6 sound, which is almost the polar opposite of the um2.

Oct 18, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #20 of 61
I've decided NOT to buy anything else at the moment, despite the 20% off discount. $240 for the E4s isn't worth it and I can actually get the ER-4Ps cheaper elsewhere.

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #22 of 61
I felt EXACTLY THE SAME as you during the first week I had the UM2.

Now I enjoy a fantastic and big UM2 sound, but it's not easy.

Please, read the link in my signature. It may help you.

Oh, and this IEMs are very sensible to different equipments, and I'm sure they need a time to burn.

Believe me, they sound VERY good, the bass are huge and the highs are like the E4, but have to be teached how. (Hard EQ, basically trimming -24db from 6khz to 20 khz)

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach
Oh, and this IEMs are very sensible to different equipments, and I'm sure they need a time to burn.

Balanced armature drivers don't burn in.

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #24 of 61
The UE10's should be able to satisfy you
smily_headphones1.gif
......seriously!

All IEM's under the $500 range seem to make some compromise or another in terms of spectral fidelity. That's why I've given up on IEM's until I get the nerve and budget to order some UE10's. However, the ER4S is the closest thing that I've heard that is satisfactory. All the rest are either too warm sounding, or too dished out (Shures), or just plain muddy. I need good treble extension and the ER4S is the only one that satisfies in that regard. It's too bad the cord is so microphonic which limits its application as a portable.

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #25 of 61
Ok, maybe were my ears, but, in one source, now I dont need to EQ (too much).

rolleyes.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #26 of 61
Well, if you really liked where the Ety6's were going, I'd say it's a no brainer...get the ER4S (or P with the S cable). But, the ER4S is much more open and extended. The bass extends much lower and fuller than the 4P, but the 4P is more mid-bass jacked and is easier to drive unamped. But the S is where you should go.

The ER4S isn't harsh or treble jacked like some have said, it hyper neutral and balanced right across the spectrum to my ears. Great phone...super hi-fidelity. If you liked hearing that upfront, full-attention sound of the 6 than you'll LOVE the 4S...I'm sure of it. No more cheap highs!! While I love my Senn580s, I know what you mean...sometimes I want to check-out and jump right into the sound with my Etys -- just to see what or if I was missing anything.

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #27 of 61
The UM2 is the best in ear phone ive used and ive used pretty all of them...they have a big sound and because they are dual driver do not have to be played at ridiculously high volumes...they are light and comfortable and to me by far the best option...

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #28 of 61
Use Shure E5 Triflanges and mod them into biflanges, brings out the treble alot more than complys.

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #29 of 61
Wow, check this out. I e-mailed EarphoneSolutions to see if I could get the free triflanges and airline adapter that you could get with the UM2. I thought you had to add it to the cart on the website to get them. Turns out they do it for you automatically. I just didn't look through all the packaging.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #30 of 61
Once EQ'ed, UM2 sounds like heaven, no E4 can reach them. I've done another A/B test between them right now, as you can read in a post near of this.

Well: there's only one thing E4 does better than UM2: The mids definition. This area is crystal clear in the E4, muddier in the UM2.

This is the thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back