UM2 Vs Shure E500
Aug 12, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 60
I've been thinking about getting one of these too. From what I've gathered the main distinctions are as follows:

1. The UM2 has a warmer sound signature with more bass. The E500 is more detailed, but not quite as musical, and has the signature Shure midrange emphasis. EDIT: I heard this from an EarphoneSolutions.com rep, but some may disagree.

2. The UM2 has memory cabling around the ears and a right angle jack. The E500 has no memory wire, and the cable is split at the point where the two earpieces join. It comes with difference lengths of cable for the rest, all of which end in a straight jack. Neither have significant microphonics issues (from what I gather). EDIT: Whoops. Wrong about the memory cable in the UM2s.

3. The E500 is lighter and sits more flush in the ear, but both can be used while sleeping on your side.

UPDATE: Several edits above. Apparently my research is severely lacking. I apologize.
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 60
I own both of these and completely disagree with what is stated. I find the shure's warmer and more musical than the UM 2's, with better bass, much larger soundstage and clarity of detail without any sense of etching or unnatural emphasis. I am someone whose everyday portable was mostly UM2's (with intermittent ETy 4's) both of which I really like, but since the shure arrived I think it is just far more enjoyable on every level. My 2cents.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 60
Ok, I'll throw my $0.02 in on this one...

I came from the ety camp, being one of the early adopters of the er-6is right when the came out. Quickly fell in love with the sound, and later learned that the er-4s was even better. Needless to say I was hooked on detail and resolution and firmly believed that this was the way to go.

Due to chance I recieved a pair of UM1s and at first listen I wasn't impressed. I also found out that with the addition of a resistor cable (75ohm) and a good amp, the sounded right on par with the etys. The detail was there, they just needed a little help. At the same time I had the chance to audition the E500s at a meet. I thought that they were very nice, and definitely had more detail than other phones in the Shure lineup. I also thought that they had too much bass, and bloated it more than was realistic.

I recently aquired a pair of UM2s which I figured would be similar to the UM1s but hopefully better. Boy was I wrong, but in a good way!!! I didn't need to put the resistor in place to ge the detail out of them. The had really good resolution. I don't know that it's on the same level as the Etys, but it's pretty close in my opinion. They had a very nice warmth that I've come to associate with the Westone lineup. The bass was Very present, and didn't overwhelm the rest of the sound. It is a very well defined set of phones. Oddly enough, I discovered that they didn't improve a lot with an amp. There are some parts that when amped open up a little more, but not enough to make it worth carrying in my portable rig. You would be hard pressed to find the combination of sound quality and price to beat the UM2s, even at full price.

In fairness to the Shure E500s, I did only listen to them for a short period of time. I think I only had about 15 to 30 minute, and a fair portion of that time was A/Bing them with my etys. They are the most resolving of the Shure line, but I think the UM2s are at the same level. The bass from the UM2s coms across as more controlled and comfortable. Mids, as many others have posted sound fantastic, and come through extremely pure.

Bang for buck, I'd totally suggest the UM2s. Front edge of trendy, and new stuff, head for the E500s.

good luck
-Jeff

Aug 12, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
2. The UM2 has memory cabling around the ears

Why, absolutely not. The fact that it hasn't has always been one of its major selling points against the Shure E5c for those who wanted more comfort.

Aug 12, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 60
I used to have the UM2 and I used it with iaudio u3. I found myself constantly adjusting the sound using the equilizer because there was something about the sound that I did not like. The highs were at times too much and kind of hurt my ears. After two weeks, I returned them. I currently have the E500 and am very happy. Although I can make it sound better at times if I tweak the settings, however if I don't, they still sound wonderful. They are comfortable and look good. The bass is tight and just right. I am using them with iriver clix.

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by navidf
I used to have the UM2 and I used it with iaudio u3. I found myself constantly adjusting the sound using the equilizer because there was something about the sound that I did not like. The highs were at times too much and kind of hurt my ears. After two weeks, I returned them. I currently have the E500 and am very happy. Although I can make it sound better at times if I tweak the settings, however if I don't, they still sound wonderful. They are comfortable and look good. The bass is tight and just right. I am using them with iriver clix.

Do you think the source was a reason tolike the E500 more than the UM2?

BTW, why did you sell the iaudio U3 and get iriver clix?!

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 60
My 2cents. I own both pairs. A little background in myself. I used to play 1st chair with the Bass violin for a couple of symphony orchestra's so musicality is key. Most of my friends are in the music business so I've had the opportunity to listen to equipment (In my home) that most people simply can't afford. My home system consists of HK Citation II's with Apogee Speakers, Micromega CD player and an Audio Research pre amp. I listen to mostly contemperary jazz (Jellowjackets, Flim & the BB's etc.). I travel alot so spend most of my time in O.R. rooms and hotels so I started looking IEM's that got rid of my yearn to be @ home. My progression was as follows: ER6, ER4P, E4C, Super.Fi 5 Pro's, E5C, UM2 and finally E500. I've sold all except the E5C (On sale though), UM2 and E500's. I like the UM2's so much that I'll probably not sell them. They're very warm and musical. The bass is warm though not as controlled as the E5C's. The midrange is emphasized which I feel is what makes them appealing to me. The Highs are present but don't stand out. Overall, an engaging, laid back sound. When I recieved the E500's, I was amazed at the detail but at first I missed the warmth of the UM2's. Some of the lower frequencies seemed to be too muted also. After reading about tip importance, I tried a few different ones and settled on modified triple flanges cut @ the top. Now these are amazing. Control, detail, warmth and bass. The highs are there but never fatiguing. You can hear all instruments clearly. I hear things that I've never heard before in the recordings!! I still carry my UM2's with me but haven't had the need or desire to switch back to them anymore. It is important though that your encoding is well done and the source music good for it will reveal flaws in your music. I guess that's more than 2 cents worth! Hope it helps.
600smile.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 60
I carry video as well as Audible books so my only choice at the time was a 5G Ipod (Creatives model didn't support Audible at the time). I use a Shellbrook Audio Lab Mini Head as an amp though I go unamped throuout the day due to portable reasons. I encode my music to 320 bit rate with a sample rate of 48k. I also just started using Alpeak AudiMovie Professional to encode my DTS and DVD Audio to MP3. I've found the SQ of the DVD-Audio/DTS to be Excellent.

Aug 13, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
Do you think the source was a reason tolike the E500 more than the UM2?

BTW, why did you sell the iaudio U3 and get iriver clix?!

It could be, though Iaudio is highly ranked in SQ. I returned the U3 due to having had to wait a few months for the E500 to be available, and I did not want to miss any new releases/upgrades.
I later setteled on the Clix because I like it SQ and interface better.
I used the UM56 custom tips with both, so that part was the same.

Aug 13, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 60
Can you use silicone tips (like the ones included with the E3c for example) on the UM2? And does it change the sound much? I'm not such a big fan of foamies, and this could help influence my decision. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back