UM2 Review: possibly the best overall Universal IEM available
Sep 18, 2006 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

The_Duke_Of_Eli

Headphoneus Supremus
Before I get flamed through the kazoo, just remember that this is my own opinion and ears, and no one will hear exactly the same. I don't mind opposing arguments, but please don't flame me.

Quick listening experience:

I've gone through every low to midrange IEM available on the market. I was quite satisfied with the etymotic ER-4. I never really caught on to the E4, and the Super.fi 5 pro never really caught on for me because it laked the detail and punch that I loved in the etymotic ER-4.

Packaging

I hate blister packs. They're the worst invention ever. You hate to cut and ruin that nice packaging, and almost all of Shure's line (sole E5c and E500s) come in a blister pack. I beleive the super.fis do as well. The etymotic packaging is probably the best as it doubles as a holding centre. After tearing off the ceran-wrap like coating, it was interesting to find a door-like packaging alot like how computer games are sold. After pulling the velcro apart, low and behold there are the beauties. The packaging looks nice, and has modern art and people playing music and whatever. Opening up the plastic packaging pulls out a plastic tray almost that contains the bare essentials.

Contents

This is probably one of the weakest points of buying the UM2. You really feel kind of shafted at first. The only things in the packaging are the UM2s, a carrying case (much like the shure ones but without the spindle), and 4 sets of comply tips (1 already on the headphones) (2 long, 2 short), a wax removing loop and a small user's guide/booklet. On the other hand, the E4s from Shure include a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, foamies, rubber, hard rubber, triflanges (I think) and a volume attenuator. Quite the nice little package. Even the etymotics come with multiple black foamies and a couple of pairs (2?) of triflanges. Now comply tips are arguably the most comfortable tips, but I'm not crazy about their level of isolation. Good thing that with my UM2s I got 2 sets of shure triflanges. So after trimming off most of the excess tube I was ready to rock and roll. I use the triflanges and the black etymotic foamies which are by far the best foamies. The Westone contents may seem to skimp, but who doesn't already have a family of adapters? More tips would be a welcome addition.

Design

The UM2s are probably the best designed IEMs I've ever tried (apart from custom ones of course). Insertion is dead easy. They're incredibly comforably designed to be perfectly inline with your ear canal, and they sit outside of your ear comfortably. The cable is a nice and strong black intertwined cable that is still thin but won't break. There is no "memory wire", so it's flimsy, but works remarkably well. The loop around the ear is very comfortable, and I've never had it pop off my ear before. The cord is also perfect length to reach a system in a pocket. It uses a right angle plug, but I like striaght angle ones, but I'll bite my tongue on that regard. Full marks here.

Microphonics

Full marks here. There are none. Zero. Unlike the etymotics which have terrible microphonics, the UM2s have none. The cord wraps perfectly around the head so there is no rubbing to cause noise.

Isolation/Comfort

Isolation is really a matter of tips. Complys are okay, foamies are pretty good, and I find the best are tri-flanges. All isolate from outside noise on par with any other IEM. They are very comfortable. I can wear these for hours on end with no air pressure or pressure on the ear canal from the tips. Full marks here.

The Sound

The UM2s are the best overall-sounding universal IEMs. I beielve that they benefit over anything single-drivered such as the ER4s, E4 or 5 pros. The UM2s really have the clarity of the ER4s, with the overall warmth and bass of the E4s and the kind of straight-fowardness of the 5 pros. The lows are very strong, almost too strong. And I have to take back what I said before about boomy or muddy bass. It is a tad messy, but still overall tight and really well-implemented. Vocals and the midrange are liquid smooth. They really show how the single-driver models can't give smooth vocals and good bass at the same time. Highs are very clean as well and pretty well defined.

If I had to describe how the UM2s sound I'd say that it's a very "live" experience. With recordings they feel more as if you were at a concert then listening to a CD. Live recordings sound even better. You feel with these that everything is perfectly in place and really bring music to life. These headphones are very picky about bit rates so don't mess with < 192 kbps. It's not worth it. But chances are people looking at this price point of IEMs aren't using 64 kbps .mp3 anyways. Apart from the slightly overpowering bass (which is easily controlled using Rockbox' EQ) I have no sound-related gripes about these IEMs. They suffer of the infamous "IEM syndrome" of a compressed soundstage, but that's found in all IEMs. You will never get the "airy" sound of an open, full-sized can.

Value (and rant)

These IEMs are expensive to say the least. For the same price of these IEMs you could get a 30gb Ipod. However, these are still incredible value. I've A-B'ed the UM2s with the E500s and honestly, the difference is ~5%. And that 5% was slightly in clarity and the rest was cleaning up the bass.

Note that the dual-driver UM2s are composed of 1 tweeter and 1 subwoofer. The E500s consist of 1 tweeter and 1 subwoofer, so you won't get better midrange or high-end response neciassarily, just better bass control. If you ask me the whole three-driver IEM is kind of a hoax. I would have really liked to have heard a re-make of the E5c to make it sound better, then release a 500$ IEM with another subwoofer. Sure sonically there will be improvements, but those improvements cannot justify the cost increase. In the race for supremacy in the IEM world everyone has to outdo the next guy and release what I think is an unecessary jump from 2 to 3 drivers. More is not always better. I'd strongly recommend giving the UM2s a test drive before plopping down an extra 200$ for E500s. There's no word yet on the more moderately-priced Triple.fis, but there's still a large gap in prices, that may or may not be justified. We'll just have to wait and see.

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 36
I enjoy mine as well. Never got a chance to sample others, and don't see a need to at this point. I'll have to try the tri-flanges. Currently I use the foamies and don't like the vacuum created with the flex sleeves.

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 36
Thanks for the nice critique.

Your remarks about the bass are well taken. For me, however, bass is the real test for the UM2, and I cannot tolerate bass boominess; it detracts from the kind of detail I'd want to hear in any earphone. That said, they sounded outstanding on my G4 Mac; then again, I had no intention of carrying around a desktop with me everywhere, and I never found an amp/op amp combination that hit the nail on the head.

That said, it's great to hear when someone finds the product they can enjoy - especialy us nit-picky Head-Fi'ers.
blink.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
If I had to describe how the UM2s sound I'd say that it's a very "live" experience. With recordings they feel more as if you were at a concert then listening to a CD. Live recordings sound even better. You feel with these that everything is perfectly in place and really bring music to life. These headphones are very picky about bit rates so don't mess with < 192 kbps. It's not worth it. But chances are people looking at this price point of IEMs aren't using 64 kbps .mp3 anyways. Apart from the slightly overpowering bass (which is easily controlled using Rockbox' EQ) I have no sound-related gripes about these IEMs. They suffer of the infamous "IEM syndrome" of a compressed soundstage, but that's found in all IEMs. You will never get the "airy" sound of an open, full-sized can.

I just got mine too and this is exactly how I would describe them as well. Listening to live rock on these is a special experience. Listening to "Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live" on these straight from my 4G iPod has been as close as I've ever come to transparent listening, that state where the equipment melts away and for a moment you forget you aren't actually at the concert. You're also dead on about the UM2 being picky. Not only does it respond poorly to lots of compression, but it also responds poorly to bad mastering and recording. Flipping through some indie and alternative albums, it was extremely apparent which were subpar recordings (and it wasn't always the low-fi/low-budget stuff). The clean Beyerdynamic sound of the DT-770s (my only other really good headphone) has a tendency to make those poor recordings a bit more dynamic, but the UM2 tell you the truth.
etysmile.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
How long did you compare them to the E500s? It sounds like your time with the E500 was very limited...

I had about 15 minutes, just enough to get a grasp of them. They're not worlds better than the UM2s, but they are better.

I still stand by my review though. Something that strick me as amazing was how real instruments sounded. I was listening to a song with steel drums in them, and if you've ever heard them live, they have a very punchy sound, but still a reverberating one. I've never heard it so well reproduced in IEMs before.

Sep 19, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 36
First, a brief note: the E4c I received (first batch, I suppose) came in a cube-shaped cardboard box that is just like the E5c's and the E500's. So, there's another Shure IEM that offers an alternative to the blister package (Shure blister packages are not that terrible IMO, but the cube box is just that much better).

As for the UM2s, I do have a few complaints about them. First, when used with a full, non-modded triflange, they won't stay flush with my ear, but they'll rather "dangle" a little bit, leaning away from my ear's concha. This probably happens because the triflange is pretty long and when its tip gets compressed by the bends in the ear canal, it bends and pulls the body of the IEM away. Sonically, I still think the triflange is the better option for me, but cosmetically, it can be a little funny.

The reason I prefer the triflange is because, with a shorter tip, there is a specific percussion instrument that can really give me headaches in a matter of minutes. I cannot define it, but when a track contains that specific instrument, the only tip long enough to tame it to the level of not being fatiguing is the triflange. This is unfortunate, because I've found that the biflange stays flush with my ears and gives an excellent sound. At lower volume levels, the biflange is perfect.

Last, in an A/B comparison between the UM2 and the E4c, i do feel that the UM2s have some sort of "veil". The detail, clarity and separation are clearly better with the E4c. On the other hand, the bass on the UM2s makes them far more musical and involving, and this is important for me. Coming from the E4c, when I first tried the UM2 I found out that bass matters to me more than I had imagined. If the E4c had the bass of the UM2, they would be just perfect for me. So, even if I have the UM2, I still use the E4c quite often.

For overall use though, the UM2 are quite close to perfection for a universal IEM. I'd like to try the E500, but that's not an option in the near future. For now, I'm really enjoying my UM2.

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp
Just to clarify to the OP, the UE SuperFi 5Pro also uses dual armatures.

Good call; my mistake. Clean forgot.

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 36
egokun said:
First, a brief note: the E4c I received (first batch, I suppose) came in a cube-shaped cardboard box that is just like the E5c's and the E500's. So, there's another Shure IEM that offers an alternative to the blister package (Shure blister packages are not that terrible IMO, but the cube box is just that much better).
QUOTE]

Actually the first cube shaped box you are referring to is the worst packaging ever. The problem with that packaging is that you can snap open and shut the packaging without damaging it or leaving any marks, so you may not know if you're getting something BNIB, used or RMA-ed/returned.

Sep 20, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I had about 15 minutes, just enough to get a grasp of them. They're not worlds better than the UM2s, but they are better.

I still stand by my review though. Something that strick me as amazing was how real instruments sounded. I was listening to a song with steel drums in them, and if you've ever heard them live, they have a very punchy sound, but still a reverberating one. I've never heard it so well reproduced in IEMs before.

It seems like the difference between your ER-4s and UM2s is rather big. Or am I wrong? Are the UM2s more like your K81DJs?
How would you compare the Etys and the UM2?

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 36
I didn't like the UM2s that well when it came to SQ. It had the feeling a subwoofer was installed in my head. The bass overpowers the rest of the spectrum, but adds a lot of warmth and makes the music more smooth. Mids were recessed, and not just a little bit. Highs were great, lots of sparkle! Sure that's subjective I know. Comfort wasn't all that great either actually. Ears got sore after one hour, cause of the plastic touching the ear (I thus prefer the ER4 and Shure E1). Price is not justified, and no not because of the 'lack'(?) of accesoires.

I find more joy in the Shure E1, it adds a few dB in bass and taims down the treble of the ER4. Not neutral, but for on the go it's one sweet single-driver IEM.

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
I didn't like the UM2s that well when it came to SQ. It had the feeling a subwoofer was installed in my head. The bass overpowers the rest of the spectrum, but adds a lot of warmth and makes the music more smooth. Mids were recessed, and not just a little bit. Highs were great, lots of sparkle! Sure that's subjective I know. Comfort wasn't all that great either actually. Ears got sore after one hour, cause of the plastic touching the ear (I thus prefer the ER4 and Shure E1). Price is not justified, and no not because of the 'lack'(?) of accesoires.

I find more joy in the Shure E1, it adds a few dB in bass and taims down the treble of the ER4. Not neutral, but for on the go it's one sweet single-driver IEM.

Thats funny I find the compleat oppersite about the UM2's. With a flat EQ they not hugely bassy and the mids do seem very forward. Did you try other tips?

The UM2s bennifit with EQing.

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
Thats funny I find the compleat oppersite about the UM2's. With a flat EQ they not hugely bassy and the mids do seem very forward. Did you try other tips?

The triflanges didn't fit, as in: I got no seal. Complys sealed well, so why change for others? I'm not one of those believers who thinks sound is gonna alter if it's put in a different coating or whatnot. I recently made my own foamies, and guess what, the sound remains the same. Hell, it would be weird if it did.

A flat EQ as in no EQ? Then what's the need for an EQ? Btw, changing the amount of dB doesn't necessarly make the headphone/IEM sound different (another soundsignature). I tried it on some phones and everytime it made kinda like a hollow sound. I would believe though I you take a standalone and real EQ (no software), that it could make the sound better. But with EQ on PC w/ onboard soundcard? No way...

It amazes me that people actually believe that an IEM is gonna sound better when it's amped, let alone EQ'ing or try 'high grade'-cables. The benefit you get when using an amp with the UM2 is 0 to 1%. The ER4S benefits from an amp because of its high impedance, and even so, after adding some extra power, the actual benefit in SQ is less than 10-15%.

Oh well, tasting wine is about the same thing. Some have this extraordinary explanation on how it smells, tastes, whatnot, and some just drink it, and perhaps have a preference for some particual wine, but that's about it. Not that I'm being (or want to be) ignorant, it just that these little things (especially in portable mode) have close to zero effect on the overall SQ. I mean I'm very happy with my Sony D465 and Shure E1, for a total cost of $50! There is absolutely no need for an amp or EQ. Sure, it might be synergy, but I'm a firm believer in the fact that royal SQ doesn't have to cost much. Everything above a certain limit for standard SQ (like my little setup), is gonna cost you a lot of money for little in return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back