UM1's Arrived Today !
Oct 5, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k
Another thing to note is cable noise "harmonics" is spectacular with the braided cable. My previous shure's and ue's you could move the cable or bang it and you really heard it. This is the exact opposite with the UM1's. I can move the cable around or smack it and notta. Thats great .

EDIT: You ever notice how flush these sit with your ear also?? I just realized that after looking in the mirror. They sit perfectly in the ear or at least mine without protruding outwards like most other iems.

Which is why I believe that the UM1 was one of my best audio purchase this year. As most of my waking hours are spent away from home, the UM1 had really improved the quantity and quality of my listening. What's the point of having a $2000 headphone rig at home if you ain't around to listen to it?
redface.gif

My etys 4S didn't get much use because of the cable noise (forgot the technical term for that), and relative lack of comfort, and the awful way it protrudes out of my ears (vanity... yes, I suffer from it).

Though the UM1's sound quality isn't as goods as the Etys 4s, it sure beats listening to cheap earbuds.

PS - I was trying to decide between the UM1 and UM2. Aside from the price difference, I picked the UM1 because of the driver is a tad smaller and slimmer than the UM2. Good enough for me and my wallet!

Cheers!

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt
anyone know how the new super fi 3's compare to the um1?

Own the UE Super.fi 3's as well lol. Again im gona say no competition. Sound is just as good and I believe a little better. Plus all the other benefits just blow it away "Read above comments by me".

Oct 5, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #19 of 34
First post, yay...

I was wondering how do other IEM-tips fit in with the UM1´s? For example the black soft sleeves from Shure? I myself have the e2c´s and have been starting to think of an uprage, especially since e2c's have broken down on me 2 times since I bought them less then a year ago (and where I live the service hasn't been exactly great, very non-informative and passive)...

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by protago
First post, yay...

I was wondering how do other IEM-tips fit in with the UM1´s? For example the black soft sleeves from Shure? I myself have the e2c´s and have been starting to think of an uprage, especially since e2c's have broken down on me 2 times since I bought them less then a year ago (and where I live the service hasn't been exactly great, very non-informative and passive)...

The acoustic tube of the UM1s(or nozzles...) are smaller than the one on your E2Cs, so if you are thinking of using the ones on your E2s on the UM1s, I don't think so...
On the other hand, the size is similar to the E3s,4s and 5s, so the clear, grey and triflange Shures do fit with some gentle persuation(read kinda tight) on my UM1s
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k
Own the UE Super.fi 3's as well lol. Again im gona say no competition. Sound is just as good and I believe a little better. Plus all the other benefits just blow it away "Read above comments by me".

Just to make sure, you have the newer version of the super fi 3?

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #22 of 34
here's a picture of my um1 setup. i'm using small shure softflex tips that are fitted for the e3c, e4c or e5c. like the previous poster said i'm not sure if the e2c tips will work with the um1's. i also have a pair of modded shure triflanges that have been turned into biflanges.

for me i rate the different tips like this: (best>ok>worst)
comfort: comply>softflex>biflange
seal+isolation: comply>biflange>softflex
ease of insertion: softflex>biflange>comply
sound: comply>biflange>softflex

so basically i use the softflexes because they are very easy to insert which is the most important point for me when i'm out using public transportation. i also like slightly less than complete isolation just in case something really loud happens near me. on a long plane ride i'm sure i'd use the comply's for the comfort level and better isolation. another bonus of the softflexes is the easy cleaning and the good value since you get quite a lot of tips in each pack.
DSC_3663.jpg

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
I have owned both and returned the UM2s. In my experience, that price difference was much larger than the sound quality difference. I use my UM1s every day, because, as another poster mentioned, they are flush with your ears, which helps when you wear them under a properly snug motorcycle helmet.

Thanks for the reply, that answered my question perfectly. Another reason why I was leaning towards the um1's over the um2's is the fact that I use a nano and my mp3's are all 192kbps or less so my thought was that a setup is only as good as it's weakest link. So in this case I didn't feel my setup would do the um2's justice for that amount of money.

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #24 of 34
I have the UM1s (I was an early adopter) and the UM-2s. When I first got the UM-2s I thought they were better than the 1's in every respect, except stealth factor (they stick out a little more) and I still believe that. I planned on selling the 1s but never got around to it, and now I'm glad. I use them when I don't want to risk damaging my 2s (hiking, camping, walking my Dane, yardwork etc) and for FM. I use the big Compys on the 2's for the ultimate seal, but I switched back to the smaller ones for the UM-1s, which seal pretty well but they just pop right in and out and make them almost invisible.

BTW, I was listening to my UM-1s the other day when shopping at Sam's Club. I accidently strayed into an "employee only" section of the store which looked pretty much like the rest of the store; it IS a warehouse after all. I had pushed my cart right past two loitering employees, whom I guess were yelling at me for quite some time to get the screw out, but of course I didn't hear them; I was in UM-1 heaven. I finally got to a point deep in the "back room" where it was obvious it wasn't a customer area, so I did a 180 with my cart to leave. That's when I saw these two bozos yelling and gesturing at me. I just smiled and left the forbidden zone. I considered showing them a plug and speaking like a deaf person to make them feel bad, but I passed on that idea and went on to the meat section.

Oct 6, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #25 of 34
HAHA LOL !! Nice one

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
I have the UM1s (I was an early adopter) and the UM-2s. When I first got the UM-2s I thought they were better than the 1's in every respect, except stealth factor (they stick out a little more) and I still believe that. I planned on selling the 1s but never got around to it, and now I'm glad. I use them when I don't want to risk damaging my 2s (hiking, camping, walking my Dane, yardwork etc) and for FM. I use the big Compys on the 2's for the ultimate seal, but I switched back to the smaller ones for the UM-1s, which seal pretty well but they just pop right in and out and make them almost invisible.

BTW, I was listening to my UM-1s the other day when shopping at Sam's Club. I accidently strayed into an "employee only" section of the store which looked pretty much like the rest of the store; it IS a warehouse after all. I had pushed my cart right past two loitering employees, whom I guess were yelling at me for quite some time to get the screw out, but of course I didn't hear them; I was in UM-1 heaven. I finally got to a point deep in the "back room" where it was obvious it wasn't a customer area, so I did a 180 with my cart to leave. That's when I saw these two bozos yelling and gesturing at me. I just smiled and left the forbidden zone. I considered showing them a plug and speaking like a deaf person to make them feel bad, but I passed on that idea and went on to the meat section.

Oct 6, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt
Just to make sure, you have the newer version of the super fi 3?

Yup newer version w/ thicker cables.

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by r0teiro
so if you were just judging on only sound quality.. the super.fi 3s would be comparable to the um1s? which has better highs? which has better bass?

thanks.

I would say there comparable in sound quality just different sound signatures. The UE's seemd more flat then the UM1's. The UM1's have a warmer presentation and definately have better bass. For highs I would say that the super.fi's prob have a inch lead there. Keep in mind, sound from IEM's mainly come from the fit you get. This is where Westone did a spectacular job in my opionion. Fit and comfort goes hands down to Westone. Who wants to wear a uncomftorable iem/headphone for too long? Also I noticed I can listen for extended periods due to the warmer presentation these have. With the Super.Fi 3's this was not the case. They sounded good but I could only wear them for so long. I also didnt like how far they stick out. I even tried the FS UE modded option which was better but still not good. Out of 10 I would rate the UE 3 Studios a 7.0 and the UM1's a 8.5 . I have used a tank load of iem's and just really reallly like these as you can tell lol
biggrin.gif
. Hope this helps

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m
mr56K,
how would you compare the sounds of the UM1 and the super.fi 5 pro? Is the price difference justified in your opinion?

Peter

Just sound alone would go to the Super.FI Pro's. The rest is gona go to the Westones. The 5 pro's sound better but that doesnt change the whole comfort issue. Comfort and overall wearability goes to the um1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back