UM1's Arrived Today !
Oct 4, 2006 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
So got home today and usps had delivered my westome um1's. So packaging is quite nice. Case is nice and handy. First thing I notice is wow these are way smaller then I thought they were gona be. It seems like every picture I have seen of them make them look like 2x as big lol. The cord seems very nice "light and braided". Next thing is these iem's are so comfy. I mean not just normal comfy but I mean I could wear these for long periods of use with no problems. I think this had to do alot with the cable being so light, the driver size, and mostly these comply tips. Now on to sound. They definately have more of a laid back sound which I prefer. They are definately not the up in your face sound. It almost seems like there is a veil or something thats letting some of the really highs come through. I dont no if this changes over time or not but I would imagine not. I can see the Ety fans not liking this. With this said I absolutely digg them. They are so light and so comfy that the other small nitpicks are just burried away. Shure and ety should take notes on the design and tips because im sure that it could only help there sales. These blow away any iem I have owned/tried "Shure E4, Shure E3, ER6/i, UE3's/5's, Cx300's, EP630's..... when it comes to COMFORT! Im now a huge fan of Westone. Off to update my SIG.

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 34
Glad you like the sound of the UM1s(strange, I happen to own the ATH-M20s too)...You'll find that the sound of the Westones like most IEMs change with the type of tips used. Popular stuff include changing to the use of modded Shure bi-flanges that boosts the treble and lift some of that 'veil' feel, though at the expense of bass.
etysmile.gif
But I stuck with Westone yellow foamies because like the Complys, soooo comfortable
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah, real discreet. I had friends talking to me in college and they never realised I had my Westones in my ears until I told them to hang on while I get them out so I can actually hear them talk
tongue.gif

Sweet...

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 34
Another thing to note is cable noise "harmonics" is spectacular with the braided cable. My previous shure's and ue's you could move the cable or bang it and you really heard it. This is the exact opposite with the UM1's. I can move the cable around or smack it and notta. Thats great .

EDIT: You ever notice how flush these sit with your ear also?? I just realized that after looking in the mirror. They sit perfectly in the ear or at least mine without protruding outwards like most other iems.

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 34
i love my um1's too. the only thing i've wondered about since getting them though is whether or not the um2's would be a worthwhile upgrade. it's a pretty big price different tho.

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
More UM1 love, sweet!

These things are great aren't they.

Yes indeed
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 34
I have been really looking at the UM2s for a while. What stopped me is that though i haven't heard anything bad about them, I haven't heard anything great either. The only other iems I had were the e2cs, and though I loved Shure's service, the e2c's were not very sturdy at all. I had to send them in twice for warranty service because slight motion of the cable caused the sound to fade out, and the sound was replaced with static-y noise. This happened after only three months in both cases. I auctioned off the third pair, and am hesitant to buy any other Shure product. Would you say these are better the e2cs in terms of SQ, because that would be acceptable enough for me for an IEM?

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 34
I like the UM1's as well. I bought the UM1s about a month ago. They are my first IEM. Then after reading a little bit here on head-fi I went out and bought some Shure E4c. The UM1 are deffinitely more comfortable, and I like the way they sit flush to the ear. The thin cable is better then the shure's thick cable especially if you wear glasses because it doesn't tend to rub as much against the arms of the glasses.

I would of liked to get the UM2's as well, but at the time they were too expensive, and then I went and got the E4c, so I could of got the um2 if I just would of bought them in the first place, but that's life.

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ill_phenom
I have been really looking at the UM2s for a while. What stopped me is that though i haven't heard anything bad about them, I haven't heard anything great either. The only other iems I had were the e2cs, and though I loved Shure's service, the e2c's were not very sturdy at all. I had to send them in twice for warranty service because slight motion of the cable caused the sound to fade out, and the sound was replaced with static-y noise. This happened after only three months in both cases. I auctioned off the third pair, and am hesitant to buy any other Shure product. Would you say these are better the e2cs in terms of SQ, because that would be acceptable enough for me for an IEM?

I have used both the E2C's and now the UM1's and I would say its not even close when trying to compare the two. I like the sound better and everything esle just blows it away "Comfort,Size, and overall design. Not to mention like the previous poster said the cables are better plus there twisted so you get less cable noise which is really nice.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 34
biggrin.gif
heh, this is only the beginning if you like the Westone sound and comfort, because at one point you'd be able to convince yourself that going the whole hog and getting the ES2 is actually worthwhile
very_evil_smiley.gif
(Yes, I already convinced myself and is in the process of saving up, poor college student at the moment
tongue.gif
)

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 34
Now I'm REALLY looking forward to mine in the mail.

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 34
definetely for the person who asked if this is better than the e2c, i've read a lot of comments about the um1's being better than the e3c's so based on this i'd definetely be willing to put money down on the chance that the um1 is better than the e2c. i saw someone on the bus with e2c's today and they looked pretty uncomfortable since they were so big. plus the comments about e2c's breaking often scares me. i know that shure's service is great but i'd much rather avoid the hassle of warranties especially since my iem's are my primaries for study and commuting to and from school. i really wish westone would come out with something new though. shure and ue have gotten new goodies and if u group altec lansing into the etymotic camp then they also got some new stuff. all westone fans got was a black version of the um2. i'd personally like to see a um3 or something.

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #14 of 34
UM3, now that's an idea!!

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by neco
i love my um1's too. the only thing i've wondered about since getting them though is whether or not the um2's would be a worthwhile upgrade. it's a pretty big price different tho.

I have owned both and returned the UM2s. In my experience, that price difference was much larger than the sound quality difference. I use my UM1s every day, because, as another poster mentioned, they are flush with your ears, which helps when you wear them under a properly snug motorcycle helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back