UM1 or ER6i?
Oct 24, 2007 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mush77

Head-Fier
First off, I hate Head-Fi. :p

Which, out of UM1s or ER6is, is the better choice? And as that's a terrible question to try to answer, what are the characteristics of both?

And one last question, is there any cheaper IEM that would be more value for money? Because I still want to buy Livewires sometime soonish...

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 7
UM1s go for $109, Er6i's being findable at around 60-70$ on amazon.

The former has a more fun sound signature, with warm mids and resonant bass, while the latter is known to be for more analytical listeners; tight, but less engaging bass, harsher highs, but with the best isolation out of the lot (however, if you choose foamies, this evens out).

If you want some temp cheap ones, I believe there are altec lansings out which are very close to the etymotics for 39 bucks. Those should definitely keep you busy until you have the funds for some nice LiveWires.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm still debating whether I like the UM1's or the ER6i's better. The ER6i's had awful microphonics.. every brush against your shirt is loud in your ears. The UM1's have next to no microphonics compared to the ER6i's. Both are comfy with foam tips, but the UM1's are lower profile since they sit entirely in the ear. I'm waiting for my portable amp to come in before I judge the UM1's versus ER6i's. Whatever happens though, I think you'd be safe listening to 4ki's post. ER6i's are definitely analytical, incredible detail and separation, but bass, while tight, is lacking in quantity. It will depend on what you're looking for. Until you've actually heard an "analytical" headphone like the ER6i, you won't know if you'll like it. Tough call
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 7
I can't see how the UM1s are fun at all. To me I find them incredibly boring and lacking any sonic characteristics that would make them fun to listen to. Maybe its just me.

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I guess I'm just talking out of bass-lover's point of view, which even this is a bit skewed considering other choices such as mylarone xbs or beyerdynamic iems in the same price range. All I know is that I wouldn't want any IEM to be any more analytical than a pair of UE sf.3s, which still feel a tad thin in the ears.

If the OP really wants cheaper IEMs, then he/she can aim even lower and go for kramer-modded marshmallows, or simply mylarones (either) and wrap the chord around the ears to kill most of the microphonic noise.

Personally, I'd go for the latter, then sell them off here after getting the LiveWires since pretty much any sub-100 dollar IEM above the $50 mark is in-demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back