UM1 or E2C
May 4, 2006 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

asan88

New Head-Fier
hi i am new in head-fi and i am gonna buy one of these um1 or e2c. their prices are the same in my country and i am not sure. what do u suggest. i will buy tomorrow. sorry for my bad english.

May 4, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by asan88
hi i am new in head-fi and i am gonna buy one of these um1 or e2c. their prices are the same in my country and i am not sure. what do u suggest. i will buy tomorrow. sorry for my bad english.

I have yet to listen to either of them, but I'l say, go with the UM1.

May 4, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 19
trust only your own ears. Hear for yourself and decide for yourself. Don't listen to what people have to say. All with different ears and different opinion. Best is you go try them out yourself.

May 4, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 19
in TURKEY. maybe i can test e2c but not um1 so testing one of them dosnt mean anything
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by asan88
maybe i can test e2c but not um1 so testing one of them dosnt mean anything

I'd test them anyway. If you find them uncomfortable or dislike its sound signature, you won't need to compare to discard them, right? Still you wouldn't know if the Westones are for you, but at least you'd know for sure about the E2c.

And if you like the shures, you'll have a reference when you read other people UM1-E2c comparisons.

May 4, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 19
I would go with the um1, especially if they are the same price. I have the um1 and they are pretty good for the money. From what I have read around here, the e2c are very bassy and it's not good bass it is more of the muddy sort. Also they e2c is pretty big and I can't see how it can be that comfortable unless you are dumbo (j/k of course so no one that has an e2c and it fits them start flaming over this comment). On the other hand the um1 is very small and has a nice feel and look to them. The westone's cord is also a braided one and has NO microphonics, very nice. If you are looking for highs and extreme clarity, I wouldn't pick either of these phone as they seem to be rather smoothed over and have more low end than high end. For highs and clarity the er6 is supposed to be pretty good and detailed. Hope this helps you and good luck. Tell your wallet we are sorry, and let the spending begin!

May 4, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 19
... They both WILL have cable noise (theres no such thing as iem microphonics as i learnt a while ago)
rolleyes.gif

And they will have more similarities in their sound than difference...
I had the e2c and they're pretty comfortable and now i have an UM2 and its a bit more comfortable. I can tell you now that no matter which iem you pick you will get cable noise when ur walking, u can hear EVERYTHING when ur eating and breathing...
I think u'll be happy either way though...

May 4, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #12 of 19
I have no idea... um1 should be a bit more comfortable but no one ever really compared the sound... But then again shure has 2 year warranty where they just replace it when it's broken and u get all the extra acessories...
rolleyes.gif
tough choice

May 4, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 19
I had the E2s for a long while and I'd say they were my reference point for IEMs. I wouldn't say they are muddy sounding but I would say the high end is rolled off. After about a year I moved up to the E3C and although it's an improvement, I didn't find it to be tremendous, it just added some of that high end sparkle, perhaps at the expense of some of the fun bass sound.

Recently, I tried out a pair of UM1s and what I was most impressed with was the comfort. As for the sound it seemed decent but how it compared to the E2c I can't fairly say, since it's been so long since I've heard the E2. I can say that the sound was comparable. The UM1 may have been a tad more balanced, but based on comfort alone I would have to recommend the UM1s.

May 4, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 19
Comfort...definitely UM-1's but the sound is a little bland IMHO.

E2's are more distinctive...very bass heavy and slammin' (but not necessarily accurate bass...similar to Porta Pro bass).

May 4, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
... They both WILL have cable noise (theres no such thing as iem microphonics as i learnt a while ago)
rolleyes.gif

And they will have more similarities in their sound than difference...
I had the e2c and they're pretty comfortable and now i have an UM2 and its a bit more comfortable. I can tell you now that no matter which iem you pick you will get cable noise when ur walking, u can hear EVERYTHING when ur eating and breathing...
I think u'll be happy either way though...

Ok from what I understand cable noise/microphonics are pretty much considered synonymous around here. So I don't really know what you mean by they will have cable noise but no microphonics.

Well from my listening they don't have any cable noise. the only time I get any microphonics is when I actually tap on the iem with my finger or brush up against it with my hand, stuff like that. The braided wire and the way the wire wraps around your ear dampen any cable noise. Granted you can here things like eating and breathing and walking but they aren't being transmitted through the cable now are they. That is noise coming from inside your body through your bones NOT THE CABLE. Also most people don't eat with there iems in. If you would like to test this try brushing the cable up against your clothing and see if you hear it. You won't. The only way you will hear cable noise is if you are pulling on the iem in your ear which would actually be more like tip noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back