UM1 or E2C
May 4, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor1189
Ok from what I understand cable noise/microphonics are pretty much considered synonymous around here. So I don't really know what you mean by they will have cable noise but no microphonics.

I think microphonics refers to sounds getting amplified that are not supposed to be, like touching a tube amp and hearing it in your headphones. This is not technically the same thing as hearing cable noise as it is not really being amplified like a microphone but just creating vibrations that you can hear because of the increased isolation. I'm not sure if this is correct. I have no technical knowledge but just remember reading something like this in a thread a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

In essence it doesn't matter because we don't want to hear microphonics or cable noise in our IEMs!

May 4, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #17 of 19
save your money and buy the Shure e500 instead
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
save your money and buy the Shure e500 instead
biggrin.gif

Or buy used UM1 or E2C so you have something to listen to while you're saving. Then you can sell your used IEMs for little or no loss and put the proceeds towards your e500!
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I think microphonics refers to sounds getting amplified that are not supposed to be, like touching a tube amp and hearing it in your headphones. This is not technically the same thing as hearing cable noise as it is not really being amplified like a microphone but just creating vibrations that you can hear because of the increased isolation. I'm not sure if this is correct. I have no technical knowledge but just remember reading something like this in a thread a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

In essence it doesn't matter because we don't want to hear microphonics or cable noise in our IEMs!

Yes I looked it up and that is the "technical" definition, but around here I think microphonics has been used on more than several occassions when talking about iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back