UM1 or Atrio M5
Mar 25, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #16 of 20
x2 on the Atrios. Before the Atrios, I bought the UM1s and sold them within a week. They MUST be worn over the ear, and to me, their sound was muddy, at best (even with EQ). Not so the Atrios, which, to be fair, retail at $99 over the UM1s. If you can get the M8s for $139 ($9 S&H) from Roaddog, go for it. You won't be sorry. If you find the Atrio foamies or the flanges don't do it for you, I used the Shure yellow foamies (for the E2C) and they are the perfect foamies for smaller ears. They are ugly, but they provide a great seal. In fact, I use them with the Sleek SA6s and they are perfect. Again, yellow is ugly, but who great sound is what I seek.

And you can EQ the mids/highs a tad and the Atrios are great. I only sold mine to help pay for the SA6s, or I would have kept them. Just never used them any more.

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the Atrios. Before the Atrios, I bought the UM1s and sold them within a week. They MUST be worn over the ear, and to me, their sound was muddy, at best (even with EQ). Not so the Atrios, which, to be fair, retail at $99 over the UM1s. If you can get the M8s for $139 ($9 S&H) from Roaddog, go for it. You won't be sorry. If you find the Atrio foamies or the flanges don't do it for you, I used the Shure yellow foamies (for the E2C) and they are the perfect foamies for smaller ears. They are ugly, but they provide a great seal. In fact, I use them with the Sleek SA6s and they are perfect. Again, yellow is ugly, but who great sound is what I seek.

And you can EQ the mids/highs a tad and the Atrios are great. I only sold mine to help pay for the SA6s, or I would have kept them. Just never used them any more.

I agree with the EQing of the Atrio, just a tiny bit of a high-mid and high range boost and they are clear as crystal!

Also, the foamies would be the yellow ones for the E3, E4 etc not the ones for E2C as they are too big for the Atrio stem.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the EQing of the Atrio, just a tiny bit of a high-mid and high range boost and they are clear as crystal!

Also, the foamies would be the yellow ones for the E3, E4 etc not the ones for E2C as they are too big for the Atrio stem.

I stand corrected. I can never keep those Shure tips straight. Thanks for that info. You can get 10 pair for $20 online.

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
custom plugs can be made for the Atrio, they are available from FS directly. However, it defeats the cost effectiveness of these 2 IEMs if one spends $100+ on custom moulds, you could add the money and just get the UM2's or something around that price mark.

On tips, I prefer the FS double flange tips, they are the best I have ever used! They soften up after about 6-10 weeks of constant use and then they are even more comfortable and isolation is nearly as good as the FS foamies!

you could of course get the um2 for the price of atrio and some customs but for what reason? oh yes, to have two drivers instead of one or to own a more expensive phone. i started my expensive journey with the um2 some years ago, then while keeping them, owning the er4s and then sleeping with the enemy, the e500. then, i bought the atrio in april or may and sold everyting else. they are by far the most musical yet still maintaining wonderful monitoring capabilities as they do not have a hyped up midrange like um2 and even the e500 it seems.

um1 are not only in a different league but probably designed for a different audience. the atrio are true giant killers and the um1 are baby giants.

the only trouble i ever had with the atrio is the mid high bass or low mid mids that boomed with a plasticky sound probably due to their internal construction. it never did it with slow music like hip hop or music that did not use electronic equipment, so forget rock. but trance (what i listen to at least 90% of the time) suffered from this plasticky sound.

that said, of all iems, they are by far the most superior i have heard. ive never heard the trip fies or sa6 though nor image. i can imagine however that with the armature, they would pierce my ears to death as the um2 and e500 not to mention the doctors, the er4s did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back