UM1 or Atrio M5
Mar 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

weste47

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering a pair of iem's for my next purchase and I think I have narrowed it down to eather the Westone Um1 or the Atrio M5. I have a few questions for you..

Which would be better for smaller ears and provide a more comfortable fit?

Which would be better for hip-hop and trance type music?

How well do each of them isolate?

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 20
Which would be better for smaller ears and provide a more comfortable fit?

Which would be better for hip-hop and trance type music?

How well do each of them isolate?

If your ears are really small, maybe ER6i's or Jays would be more suitable, physically ...

... but sonically, I'd say the Future Sonics will fit your listening tastes, generating the kind of deep sound that few IEMs can match while not overwhelming the mids and highs. Last night I was listing to a tiny Creative Zen Stone through the M5s, and once again the Atrios shone -- whether with the Stone, a Sandisk Sansa Clip, a 2nd gen. iPod Nano, a portable CD player, or other DAPs I've tried them with, the Atrios are really nice (they do very well with players that are un-EQ'd, which includes iPods, which don't EQ well, and they don't have to be amped to sound excellent). The player was set on random play, and the variety of music ranged from Roxy Music to Ulrich Schnauss to Portishead and more, and the low end was very present -- and clean (no "mud"). They do acoustic, guitar rock, blues, soul, Motown, country and soundtracks, well, too, for the record...

I like the look of the Westones, and the cords are supposed to be a real selling point, and many posters on Head-Fi say they're the most comfortable IEMs. But note that I was using the same Comply foamies on the M5s last night that come with the Westones, and they were quite comfortable (I wear the M5s "down," and they look like a miniaturized Bluetooth phone that way ... they're very light, by the way). The expensive UM2s would be a more direct competitor of the M5s/M8s, in terms of performance ... which is why I got the M5s for basically half of what the UM2's list price is.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 20
Where would you say a good place to get the Atrio M5's is. I looked on Roaddogonline and they where out of stock until May 1's which is a ways away. Thanks.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 20
That sounds pretty spot on compared to everything I've heard about the two. I see you did narrow it down to two IEMs that are known for a warm sound signature. I think the FutureSonics are dual drivers, right? I could be wrong, so don't hold me on that.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by weste47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where would you say a good place to get the Atrio M5's is. I looked on Roaddogonline and they where out of stock until May 1's which is a ways away. Thanks.

I was looking at that too, but if you look closely, they will refund you $15 back just for pre-ordering, so that will save you much more. I think you can usually find them on eBay, too. I think there's a seller that you can usually get to sell them to you for $140.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds pretty spot on compared to everything I've heard about the two. I see you did narrow it down to two IEMs that are known for a warm sound signature. I think the FutureSonics are dual drivers, right? I could be wrong, so don't hold me on that.

The FS have a single Dynamic driver, not multiple armature drivers. They have a warm sound sig and they respond to EQing so well, I up'ed the high-mid and high ranges just a tad and I had perfect clarity without losing the deep bass, they are just fantastic!

PS roaddogonline sells them on ebay for $140 (its a "best offer" system). If the M5's are still out of stock, the M8's are available for sure.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 20
Are the m8's better than the m5's? What's the differences? Are they difference sizes? Are they the newer version or something?

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 20
I have the UM1 and had an audiologist make ear impressions for custom plugs. The customs quite significantly improved the sound and enhanced deep bass. And you won't get a more comfortable fit than customs. However, It'll cost you close to $100 for the fitting and plugs. Without the customs I recommend the triple flanges from Shure. They're comfortable but do not improve the sound as do the customs. Without the customs the UM1s are light weight in bass and thin sounding though the detail resolution is very good.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Are the m8's better than the m5's? What's the differences? Are they difference sizes? Are they the newer version or something?

No difference at all, one is blue and the other is black. It is a veru nice blue anyways and the main thing is that the cables are still black, not white!

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the UM1 and had an audiologist make ear impressions for custom plugs. The customs quite significantly improved the sound and enhanced deep bass. And you won't get a more comfortable fit than customs. However, It'll cost you close to $100 for the fitting and plugs. Without the customs I recommend the triple flanges from Shure. They're comfortable but do not improve the sound as do the customs. Without the customs the UM1s are light weight in bass and thin sounding though the detail resolution is very good.

custom plugs can be made for the Atrio, they are available from FS directly. However, it defeats the cost effectiveness of these 2 IEMs if one spends $100+ on custom moulds, you could add the money and just get the UM2's or something around that price mark.

On tips, I prefer the FS double flange tips, they are the best I have ever used! They soften up after about 6-10 weeks of constant use and then they are even more comfortable and isolation is nearly as good as the FS foamies!

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 20
Ahh ok, then I probably will get the M8's if I get them. How does the M5/M8 do with hip-hop and trance? about 4/8 of my collection is hip-hop, 1/8 is trance, 1/8 is electronica, 1/8 is world/new-age and 1/8 is alternative. Think they'd be a good fit?

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Ahh ok, then I probably will get the M8's if I get them. How does the M5/M8 do with hip-hop and trance? about 4/8 of my collection is hip-hop, 1/8 is trance, 1/8 is electronica, 1/8 is world/new-age and 1/8 is alternative. Think they'd be a good fit?

Based on your music genre, the Atrio is IMO a perfect IEM for your needs! I listen mostly to trance/electronica a bit of hiphop and a bit of flamenco (classical guitar etc) and I am not considering a change/upgrade for a while!

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 20
smily_headphones1.gif
Sweet.

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 20
I've owned both but at different times and for your taste the Atrio is a no brainer IMO. You're going to love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back