UM1/2 vs ER6i - Will lack of treble kill me?
Jul 16, 2007 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vault

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a bit of a problem.

I've been happily using my ER6i's for the past 2 years, faithful traveling companion, isolating, plenty of treble/sparkle - which I like.

The problem is I've lost them. now I've got to replace them, but was thinking of other options out there in IEM world and I'm asking your advice.

From a few searches I understand that the Westone's have more "musicality" and are less analytical than the ER6i's. Am I going to hate the UM1/2 sound in comparison? I'm deathly afraid of stumping up the cash for the UM's and finding they have a massive veil.

I use a pair of Eggos in the office and i love their speed and sparkle. Plus I listen to a lot of dance/techo plus a fair bit of rock/metal so I'm after a solid performer in those respects.

Any opinions or advice? Am I better off just sticking to the ER6i's? Or go for something completely different?

Thanks!

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 9
Well I have the UM1 and while I haven't listened to them enough to judge them yet, I'd say they sound quite nice. They have an INCREDIDBLY flat response, but they react VERY well to EQ'ing. The veil that you talk of is there, but when EQ'd in the right place, it goes away almost.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The veil that you talk of is there, but when EQ'd in the right place, it goes away almost.

Thanks Fraseyboy - appreciate your thoughts. Are you using a fairly advanced EQ or is it something like "treble boost" in iTunes, which is what I guess would be my first option?

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vault /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Fraseyboy - appreciate your thoughts. Are you using a fairly advanced EQ or is it something like "treble boost" in iTunes, which is what I guess would be my first option?

Well I normally use a 12 band EQ in winamp and up the treble from 5khz so treble boost would probably do the same thing.

I find that lowering a little bit between 200hz and 1khz also improves the sound.

Of course, you could also go for another IEM. I'm not too happy with my UM1's ATM, but I'll fiddle a bit more and maybe try make them work for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 9
I've been using UM1s with the large foamies and I find that to be the most comfortable set up. My EQ on my DAP looks freaking insane though for them to sound right to me. Luckily they do respond really well to EQing as long as your source has quality output. I was definitely disappointed with the UM1s straight out of the headphone jack of my old iPod that I sold. But out of the Kenwood player I have now it's a night and day difference and I love the sound.

Here is a picture of how my EQ is set up:

825799235_4e4237d05f_m.jpg

It's pretty bass heavy like this but with the UM1's sound signature they really bring the mids up front and over power everything in my opinion. Maybe this is what a flat response sounds like? All I know is vocals, and strings are really nice and upfront sounding. If I don't use EQ then yeah, I think the highs might be a little withheld. But just putting a little gain on them makes a big difference.

If you have a nice source or even an iPod with a cheap amp like an ibasso I think you would be happy with the UM1. If you don't have access to a nice source that can handle EQ settings correctly than I would stay away and get something that has a sound signature you already enjoy.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 9
I also forgot to mention that in order for the UM1s details to really come through you need to use them at a pretty decent volume. I know all DAPs are different in this regard but just for reference I use mine at 19/30 which is pretty loud even for my full sized cans.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh also, from what I've read the UM2 is ALOT better than the UM1, so perhaps you could go for them? They are kinda expensive though.

The im716 is good as well I think. I was thinking of selling my UM1's and the im716, but I think I'll give it a bit more time.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for all the replies. They've been really useful. I'm more positive now about the UM1's as I should be able to EQ them on my rig. I'd go with the ER6i's again, but they do get a bit fatiguing at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back