um.....Mattress-fi? I want good night sleep
Sep 11, 2007 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
Having been moving around, we've been sleeping on out futon mattress, which is now incredibly thin and not providing adequate padding for my back. I'm getting backaches and I need a "real" mattress. I haven't slept on a good new bed since um...when was 12 yrs old? yeah, pathetic
redface.gif

I'm looking for a queen bed around 200+, hopefully less than 300 if possible. I don't know what kind of bed to get....foam or spring? I believe spring has better longevity? I need something that is hard enough to support my heavy @ss
blink.gif
but not as hard as my floor

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 13
For a good mattress I think you're going to have to spend more than that if you want a queen size... I would just go to the mattress store and try out lots of them. I have friends with tempurpedic mattresses, I don't like them and they get really hot. I tried a sleep number bed before, that was really really comfy, but I have no idea how long they last.

But yeah, my advice is to just go to the store and shop around, could you save some money and spend a little more on the mattress if it made a big difference in quality?

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 13
Not mattress related, but its a nice addition:

I'm quite heavy 200 lbs, and the space-age foam (apparently there are different brands?) mattress liner works quite well. I bought it at Costco, and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost too much. The trick is to follow instructions when opening the air seal, last time I slept on it right after opening it up, and an impression was made, which stuck on forever.

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 13
memory foam mattress?

One thing I don't really like about foam mattress is that they can get hot, especially during summer. But I was wondering which kind of mattress has better longevity. I'm trying to keep the budget low because I haven't really settled down yet, and it is very difficult for me to lug so many things with me when I move.

I found a local store that sells mattress for cheap, it says they are from factory direct. Mattress alone runs around 200-300+, I'll be checking it out, but I was wondering if it is ok to buy some not so well known brand. The big names seem to be all around 500 bucks. I'd like to get ikea beds but there's no store here and they dont seem to deliver those queen beds that I'm interested in
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not mattress related, but its a nice addition:

I'm quite heavy 200 lbs, and the space-age foam (apparently there are different brands?) mattress liner works quite well. I bought it at Costco, and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost too much. The trick is to follow instructions when opening the air seal, last time I slept on it right after opening it up, and an impression was made, which stuck on forever.

You mean like Memory Foam?

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 13
We recently bought a latex matress - very comortable. Many members here really like the memory foam (I couldn't roll over after lying on one for 5 minutes).

If your budget won't stretch to these more expensive bed types, consider an innerspring and buy a separate 'topper' made out of latex or memory foam.

Budget bed-fi.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Costco and Sam's Club sell name brand mattresses in your price range. I can't remember if it's Sealy or Simmon's, but I think they both have queen mattresses for less than $300.00.

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 13
After shopping a little, I settled with a Sears-o-pedic mattress. It's an open coil mattress with pillow top, cost me bout 500USD delivered and taxed. Also comes with a 30 bucks gift card, a free mattress padding, and 5 yrs stain removal warranty. I was eyeing on the king koil mattress in a box
biggrin.gif
that was extremely comfy and plushy but durability seems questionable. Will be getting the mattress on this coming Thursday. hooray...

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 13
I've been on memory foam ontop of bamboo mats for a while, cant beat it.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 13
If you buy a mattress, please realize you can haggle the price down at least 30% in most cases. My current one was listed at $2000 and we got it for $1200. Don't pay anything near their "Sale Price".

This does not go for some of the tempur-pedic, foam-type, or sleep number beds....

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 13
After years of back and hip problems and spending thousands of dollars on every high end mattress around, all promising miracles, we finally bought a custom made latex mattress and have never looked back! What a difference...no back or hip pains, no sagging...just a solid good nights sleep, every night...highly recommended!!!!

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 13
A lot of people also make the mistake of getting a mattress that is too soft. They might feel all cloud-like, but they don't offer enough support over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back