um... help for a budding audio enthusiast... be careful, this is a long message...
Aug 10, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
I believe the slimX has a line out.

you are indeed correct. i like the idea of an fm tuner with a line out as well. has anyone commented on the audio quality on the line out?

Aug 10, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #47 of 56
redshifter,

I've been looking into CD/mp3 players as well and from what I've read the line out isn't supposed to be to bad. I don't think it's the best in the world but from what I've read most people have found it acceptable if not of the highest quality. Someone that owns one would probably be able to give you a better idea though. Try a search, that's where I got my info.

Phil

Aug 11, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #48 of 56
elnero...
Quote:

«Was there anything about my post that stated anything other than what you said???»

Maybe not... But I implied the possibility that your categorical statement could origin from experiences with a mediocre MP3 encoder. My own ones are these that with headphones I even don't care about the system-immanent «digital sound» of the CD format which is slightly bothering me from time to time with my loudspeakers. The same with MP3: 320 kb/s are virtually equal to uncompressed wave. But I concede that this conclusion is based on a rather mediocre source: the SB Live Platinum soundcard, and in either way subjective. Anyway, given taipeileviathan's specifications, the reservation against high-quality MP3 is somewhat academic. But finally the dissonance caused with my wording, which wasn't meant to be offensive, rests upon a misunderstanding.

TuffyGuy...
Quote:

«Umm, with a more thorough read, I believe you'll find that 90% of the testers "picked out" the 128 kbit files, which (yet again) implies that they could tell the difference and noticed the artificats contained in them.»

Well, yes, first I was tempted to understand it that way – but the original message of the mentioned «c't magazine» test in German told that for 90% of the auditory 128 kb/s MP3s are not distinguishable from CD quality – at least so it was carried forward in German audio forums. (I never read the article personally.)

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Aug 11, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #49 of 56
wow. a day not at work (i have no computer with internet at home in taipei) and look at the blood-stained battlefields that have become my thread. makes me proud, in some sort of perverse way...
biggrin.gif

well, an update on my headphone hunting. i went to the hi-fi exhibit that's in taipei, will be going back again today, and i gotta say... my mind is now officially blown. after listening to a few headphones and such, i saw an exhibit that had my promedia 5.1's and as i listened to them, i asked myself, "how was i ever content with THIS??"... *sigh*... ignorance was truly bliss...
frown.gif

so, results from touring the exhibit... i am now determined to buy a home listening rig first, then worry about my portable later. i am torn between grado rs-2 with grado amp (offer is about $700 and includes cables), AT W100 and meta42 (for some reason, AT sells for hella expensive in taipei, so for this i'll have to wait till i get back to the states), and STAX SRS-2020 ($370). i dunno, the senn distributor was playing some really lame music for demoing, no bass, no treble, just some ****ty whiny elevator music...
confused.gif
so call it bad marketing if u will, but i've been turned off to the senn sound. i am actually in love with the w100 sound (the only AT's i liked out of the many that were demoed)... engaging overall, relaxed mid-range, a soundstage that places u not right in the middle of the band, but more like in the first two rows of an unplugged session, and that distinctly woody feel & resonance... i dunno, i grew up playing the violin for 8 years, so i guess it really struck a nostalgic chord in me
tongue.gif
... and talk about soundstage, the STAX gave me goosebumps
eek.gif
. i don't think i need to say more about them. STAX=amazing. the STAX 001 in-the-ear ones were only about $220, but i dunno, i'd rather not have ear-pluggy gear for home usage.

given that all these combos are amazing, i'm leaning towards the stax cuz they're cheap here, plus i think if i game or play my classical dvds with them, i will simply die of repeated eargasms
wink.gif
. however, i still want the w100's... but there's no guarantee that i'd be able to get them when i return to the states, plus i'd have to worry about an amp. the grados are great phones all-around, but the price here isn't too cheap, plus i don't think i'd get them over a set of stax or a good offer for used w100+meta42 when i get back to the states.

sorry about my wallet, eh? well, u better be.
mad.gif
tongue.gif

okay, it's about time i get outta this net cafe and head back to the exhibit...
smily_headphones1.gif

wish me luck bargaining!
very_evil_smiley.gif

~taipeileviathan

ps, thanks for all the input guys... really do appreciate it. in terms of a portable source (which i won't be getting anytime soon... gotta save up for ER4P as well to go with the port source), i'm prolly gonna get the SlimX. with the ability to play cd's as well as mp3's and a line-out, it's prolly my best option...

Aug 11, 2002 at 11:49 AM Post #50 of 56
taipeileviathan,

Sounds like your having fun.
biggrin.gif

Sure wish I was able to demo all that gear, especially the W100's they sound very intriguing. I played Cello for 9 years myself so your experience with them is very interesting as well. If only there was a consensus on them. Some say they are too bright which, if true, I don't think I could live with.

The W100's go for $349.00 from audiocubes.com which is where you would have to buy them from when you get back to the states, so if you can get em cheaper there go for it. Those and an all out meta42 probably wouldn't run much more than $600.00. Did you still need a source for home use? If so you could forgo the meta or do a cheaper version to stay within your $700 budget. Just some thoughts if your still thinking W100's but it sounds like your becoming attached to the stax.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well have fun and let us know how you do.

Phil

Aug 12, 2002 at 12:59 PM Post #51 of 56
hey guys... again, thanks for all ur help. this is a post to let u'all know what i ended up getting at the audio fair.

firstly, before i get to the phones, let me tell u about the CD's that i bought (haha...
tongue.gif
). there was one booth that was the sole distributor of dreyfus jazz records' records, and lemme tell you, picking from all the collections was far more difficult than bargaining for the price of the 5 cds i ended up getting. simply amazing music, all imported from france. there was even a collection of cds of 24-bit remastered vintage records of old classics that isn't even available in the states... anyway, enuff foreplay, i ended up buying a cd of richard galliano with orchestra (jazz accordion concertoes... amazing), one cd of michel petrucciani's 1997 live solo concert (i think in paris), two cds of petrucciani with eddy louiss (piano plus hammond organ), and a cd of a 1985 chet baker concert, all together for a grand total of... [drum roll]... 47 bucks!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
mwahaha...

as for the phones, i ended up getting the STAX 2020 with the cables that they used at the exhibit (with 3.5mm adapter), all together for about $385. they're still burning in as i type now, but occasionally i pick them up to listen to them, and each time i do they just keep sounding better and better....
biggrin.gif
there's a shadow of regret present deep down in my heart for the lack of powerful bass with electrostatic phones, but knowing that i'll be listening mostly to jazz & classical it's all good...
wink.gif

welps, i guess that's all for now... my dad wasn't TOO pissed off... haha... at least he didn't disown me...
tongue.gif

one thing tho, guys, i was wondering, what's the best way to burn headphones in? i've been playing random mp3's from my computer thru them (i figured this way there'd be a great variety of sounds, including my bro's trance and j-pop) for around 5 to 6 hr stretches with about an hr's rest in between, playing at about 40% of the amp's output level. i would've thought that i didn't have to burn in electrostatic headphones since they're totally different from dynamics, but the improvement has been quite noticable... one more thing,i'm also wondering about how long of a burning is needed before i can expect a sound that's pretty much their full potential?

this is one cheese i'm holding on to...
tongue.gif

thanks guys,
~leviathan

Aug 12, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #52 of 56
don't electrostatic cans have almost no movement? different than regular drivers? i wonder if the logic about breaking in phones even fits in with electrostatics

(againt i don't really know crap, never heard electrostatics, dono much about them. thought i'd start more flaming battles. next we'll talk about how cables. sound good?)

Aug 12, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #53 of 56
Yes breaking in applies to electrostatics, in fact breaking in applies to just about every new audio component whether it be an amp, cd player, cables or speakers. It's probably most noticable on speakers and amps though.

Phil

Aug 12, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #54 of 56
wow, cables and cd players too. i'll consider myself lucky if i ever get a chance to verify that with my ears. then you know you've got a reference system...

but i guess cd player makes some sense if you're thinking along the lines of it doing similar things as the amp (with much less power) my cd player sucks so i just use it as a digital source, so i guess i don't get to claim witness to that one.

i've found the most noticable break in to new equipment located happening somewhere between my ears, so you know my setup has a long ways to go

Aug 12, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #55 of 56
Hey TaffyGuy,

Another tip. As long as your amp isn't a big power sucker you can leave it on all the time and it will sound better. Plus you may even prolong the life of it. The circuits warming up and cooling can be hard on it. I have a old mission cyrus 1 that's been on for, oh about 10 or 11 years. The only time it's been turned off is to move it or if I've gone on extended vacation. I always notice the difference when I first turn it on.

Phil

Aug 12, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #56 of 56
oh i don't even know about breaking in my amp, i leave it on all the time cuz i'm too lazy to turn it off

just doing my part to get through the energy crisis

don't worry, its not like a big class A mother or anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back